New Z at our house

Jester

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for an update. We got it up on jack stands and got a lot better look at the under side. There is a bit of rust on the passanger side under the seat and battery. The frame rail has a bit too. It will need a couple patch panels eventually. Nothing too tuff.

We......she, got the tank drained and 5 gallons of fresh fuel put in. Installed a new fuel filter and it fired. Well, kinda. :blink: it runs but not on all cylinders. We took the time to check for spark at the cap and all is good. Now to figure out if the injectors are plugged or what.

Any ideas for that part??

Jester, heres a segment covering testing the electrical connectors. also do a close inspection of the wiring and corotion on the connector pins.

Remove an electrical connector from a fuel injector (all injectors need to be tested) probe both sides of the connector with a grounded test light or multimeter (voltmeter) (black lead) switched to DC voltage (there are only two terminals). Have a helper turn the key to the "on" position without cranking the engine and observe the test light. The test light should illuminate one side of the connector only and the multimeter should be at about 12 volts. Next, switch the test light or multimeter (voltmeter) lead (black) or to the positive side of the battery to test the system ground injector trigger, probe the side of the connector that did not light up, have a helper crank the engine over and observe the test light, it should blink on and off or the multimeter (voltmeter) should bounce from 0 to 12 volts. (Note: if no injector pulse is present try disconnecting the remainder of injectors and re-test, if a fuel injector is shorted it can shut down the injector driver causing no injector pulse. If injector pulse returns plug the injectors electrical connectors in one at a time until the pulse fails and then replace that injector).

Well, we found some injectors from a 810. I didn't even realize it is an L24 until I was taking the last one off. SHIT!!! Oh well. We have them anyway.

We also found a couple Z's that had good rubber boots before and after of the air flow meter. Oh, and a nice steering wheel that says "Datsun" instead of "Z". That will go on the truck. :D

I did the cardboard trick like you suggested and found one injector that isn't spraying at all and one that is missing the end piece. That is why we ended up looking for another set of injectors. Didn't look for any new connectors. My daughter had a bad headache so we left.

I was thinking more along the lines of people openly talking about getting high, sexual crap and the like. It just doesn't have a place on this forum. There are plenty of private places for that kind of crap. Why can't this forum be kept clean so we don't have to worry about what our kids see.

Sorry. :blush::blush: I'm done.

:( sorry dude

I've got a spare set of injectors that are in good condition other than the pintle caps off an l28et, and I have access to another set in pristine condition. I have all kinds of spare pieces and parts lying around that I need to get rid of in the next month, and I'd much rather see them go to a good home than to the vultures on Craigslist. If you're interested, shoot me a PM with whatever things you need and I'll dig through what I have and get some pics.

Are the L24 injectors a smaller cc than L28? I would think that the ECU could make them fire differently and that the injectors may be the same.

There is a 1982 Maxima in the local yard. The injectors (5 out of 6) looked almost new! I can't use them on my turbo car so I left them there. I bet they only charge a couple bucks each

Funny you should comment on L24 injectors. We found 2 injectors from an

L24 in the local yard. They were the same as the L28 in her Z. The other 4 were differant.:blink: Don't know how that worked but it did. I think someone replaced the two we needed. We now have a full set of 6 injectors that all spray.

Today we're goinig to go pick up her new ignition parts and see if it will run correctly. I'll keep you guys posted.

I wasn't referring to their physical makeup but rather to the amount of fuel they spray when open. The turbo and NA injectors look identical but the turbo ones spray more so they would run rich on an NA engine.

The L24 vs L28 NA injectors may or may not spray the same. I haven't looked that up. :D good luck!

We are in need of an emblem for the rear hatch. The rest we have. Lucked out and found the passanger side fender emblem at the yard last week. Phlebmaster has a set of vent emblems I am going to try to pick up this Friday.

As for the injectors, I was simply going off color. I know Ford injectors are color coded for their size. Just figured Datsun did the same.

Injector colours:

Early 280Z white/tan body

Later 280Z(X) green body

280ZX Turbo brown body

Heres some good stuff on getting new and better injector connectors:

The new ones with the push style clip,

injector_lead.jpg

Car Quest Part SK-25

Auto Zone part number is AZ #077926

GP Sorenson part number is 800-9213

AC Delco part number is PT-113

GM part number is 12085491

injectorconns.jpg

Here are two injectors readily available from a junk yard. A GM (from an Achieva and an Audi from an 89) The audi's are much better quality and include a hefty boot. The Audi had a 5 cylinder motor however there were enough connections in the engine compartment to do nearly two Zs.

Ours are the green ones. Thanks for the info on the connectors.

We put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor on today. It started right up and ran great!!! After letting it idle enough to set the idle it started missing again. When I jumped on the gas a bit to clear it out, it started popping and snorting at the throttle body. Same thing it did before the new parts. Once I got it to get into some higher RPM's, I could keep it cleaned out and it would idle agian.

I looked in the service manual on how to adjust the air/fuel. Being a carb guy, I don't have the equipment to do this crap. I'm use to just using the tach. Any advice or suggestions on were to go from here.