What is the usual going rate for body work ?

I want to bring my 720 in the shop to get all the rust taken care of.

I just dont have the timew to shave off the rust and fill it in myself.

So I want to bring it into a body shop and have someone do it for me.

What is a reasonable hourly rate for someone to take care of rust spots and get them ready to be painted over ?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

out here in phoenix area, the current rate is any where from 48.00- 65.00, depends upon if dealership or private owned, we charge 48.00 per hour plus supplies, do the cking first then decide, but don't go by price alone, remember u get what u pay for..ck out there quality of work, ask to see some in progress work, we always show our new clients how we do it first..so they can make a good decision..:D

Today I found a shop that does really nice work that charges only $42 an hour for body work.

I am going to shop around a little more. But, I think I might have found the place to go!

I don't have a ton of work. I need new fenders on each side up front which I see online everywhere for about $35 a side plus shipping, a new bumper which is about $45 plus shipping. Then the rust which is mostly in the bed. The sides running down the seam and then on the inside is a real mess. I am probally going to have them cut out the whole inside of the bed and just weld a whole new piece in the bottom since it is so rusted out.

Hopefully I can get the whole thing done for under $2000 painted and all.

I hope I am not crazy thinking that, but I will see!

If I ever figure out how to post pics I will do it.

I am trying to figure out what color I want to go with for paint. Right now it is white. I live in Florida, so down here, dark clors fade very easily from the sun. Unfortunatly I live in an apartment so my truck is always out in the sun. I could always buy a cover if I go with a dark paint!

I am kind of tired of boring white paint!

Any cool ideas for paint colors ?

hello,

if they do nice work at that rate it sounds good to me..... but keep in mind if it takes them 4 times longer to do the job than anyone else you may cry when you get the bill..... All quality shops can give you a repair order for your job start to finish including what you will pay..... tell them exactly what you want and expect an exact price in return before you do anything... if they cant give you one...... find another place....

Steve

Edited by steve g

I am still checking around , and it is funny how nobody seems to want to do the job. They all want to just do basicly insurance jobs to make quick cash and get to the next job.

I had several guys tell me, they just would not make much money working on something like my truck.

They could do several cars and make thousands more dollars in the same amount of time and for alot less effort. That really pissed me off hearing that a few times.

I did get a few shop owners that asked some of their workers if any of them wanted to take the job as a side job to take home with them. I did get some phone numbbers and a few guys that seemed pretty happy to do the work.

alot of people want to sandblast the whole truck and see what they have, then start fixing the holes , With the bed, a few guys said I should just sanblast it , fix the holes, and then rhino coat it and not even bother painting it.

I've found the same thing happening. The shops want to deal with insurance. They basically overcharge insurance just like doctors do. You pay far less to your doctor or dentist if you pay them in cash yourself and tell them you dont' have insurance.

The shops I had gone to told me to just do the work myself and then get the $1300 paint job from Maaco because its the best I can do on a smaller budget.

hello,

i have been working in bodyshops for 15 years, all the way from a grunt worker to manager to owner... unfortunately its true that a shop can replace and paint a bumper for a late model car and make 2 or 3 thousand dollars in 2 days and never get their hands dirty.....

Dont let anyone sandblast your truck, there is no way to get anything done for under 2 grand when they are taking on a restoration approach as extreme as sandblasting.... also there will be tons of damage done just from that.... find someone level headed that will fix whats needed and provide a nice paint job.... Dont let them be heros at your expence... its a nissan 720.

Im not showing any disrespect for your truck at all, i have a 720 too 4x4 Kc and i love it more than any truck i have ever owned... 360k miles and still ticking!!!!... but they are not worth dumping your life savings into.... 2 grand is pleanty of cash to get what you want if you find the right person.

I got some advice today from someone at a bodyshop. He told me it would be cheaper for me to try to find a new bed for my truck, instead of trying to repair all the rust .

So I started making calls. I ended up calling a place out in California , and sure eneough I found a entire Bed for my truck in very good condition for $300. All I have to do is get it shipped from Cali to Florida. It is probally going to cost more in shipping than the bed itself, but it will stil be cheaper to change the bed out than pay someone to do all the rust repairs on the bed.

I just hope the shipping charges aren't too much money!

I got some advice today from someone at a bodyshop. He told me it would be cheaper for me to try to find a new bed for my truck, instead of trying to repair all the rust .

So I started making calls. I ended up calling a place out in California , and sure eneough I found a entire Bed for my truck in very good condition for $300. All I have to do is get it shipped from Cali to Florida. It is probally going to cost more in shipping than the bed itself, but it will stil be cheaper to change the bed out than pay someone to do all the rust repairs on the bed.

I just hope the shipping charges aren't too much money!

shipping the bed would be ALOT. plus it can get damaged. I had a tailgate shipped from michigan to hawaii for my ford. 250 bucks shipping, and UPS damaged it. Still waiting on the insurance claim. I would try to find a box locally, or worst case fly there, check it out, uhaul it back.

There has to be a shop there in florida that does utility beds for construction trucks. Call one of them and see if they have a bed for your truck. most of them have old beds stacked 3-4 high in the back of the shop. Just an idea.