Wagon Gas Tank Lines: Any Advice?

I noticed a spot on the driveway the other day. Turns out my gas tank breather tube is falling apart and leaking gas when the tank is full.

IMG_4665.jpg

I guess I need to drop the tank to replace it. Any advice as far as other things to check out while I have the tank down? It's a 72 with the evaporative stuff. I don't know much about these evarporative systems. Anything I should check to make sure it is working right?

IMG_4663.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. I'll probably just replace all of the smaller hoses back there :)

Does anyone have any experience with the evaporative control system? I guess the "Tank Reservoir Assembly" is just an empty tank? It doesn't look like there is any charcoal canister like some later cars have. There is a line running to the crank case too. should I just make sure the lines are clear and call it good?

Replace it with fuel-rated hose from the local auto parts store.

good luck finding the correct ID there.

try an RV store for larger lines.

you MAY be able to locate a new stock filling piece.

the return is a vent line for emissions. handy if going FI later.

not 100% on the vapor recovery system removal.

The Tank Reservoir Assembly is just an empty tank. It "catches" fumes from the tank and allows them to condense back into a liquid and flow back to the tank. No charcoal filters or anything.

I ended up replacing every line on my 71 Wagon tank. I was able to find most of the lines at the local NAPA store.

You really need to watch the two lines that feed the bottom of the evap tank. These route through two holes in the frame. Clean these holes out very well and then heavily lube the new lines and holes with something before you try and re-insert the tank. The rest of the lines are a piece of cake.

I was able to get a replacement filler hose from Rod at Rods Discount Datsuns ... kinda pricey though.

• 2 weeks later...
The Tank Reservoir Assembly is just an empty tank. It "catches" fumes from the tank and allows them to condense back into a liquid and flow back to the tank. No charcoal filters or anything.

I ended up replacing every line on my 71 Wagon tank. I was able to find most of the lines at the local NAPA store.

You really need to watch the two lines that feed the bottom of the evap tank. These route through two holes in the frame. Clean these holes out very well and then heavily lube the new lines and holes with something before you try and re-insert the tank. The rest of the lines are a piece of cake.

I was able to get a replacement filler hose from Rod at Rods Discount Datsuns ... kinda pricey though.

I went through exactly the same thing, I would always smell gas and it was making me dizzy. Turns out the prev owner "fixed" the old cracked filler hose with packaging tape :eek: All the other work he did was close to the same quality :rolleyes:

Be careful of that first line to the left of the filler tube, its a different diamiter then the ones to the right. I found that out after I thought I bought everything I needed. :o

Sorry, I just noticed these replies. I wasn't subscribed to my own thread.

I got replacement hose for everything too. I've got the tank out, and I'm stripping it and repainting it. I got 5/8" hose for the ones that go through the frame, but it is thicker than the stock stuff. I'm not sure I will be able to get it to fit through those holes in the frame. At least my filler neck looks good.

I went through exactly the same thing, I would always smell gas and it was making me dizzy. Turns out the prev owner "fixed" the old cracked filler hose with packaging tape :eek: All the other work he did was close to the same quality :rolleyes:

Be careful of that first line to the left of the filler tube, its a different diamiter then the ones to the right. I found that out after I thought I bought everything I needed. :o

Yeah, mine smelled like gas pretty bad too. I've been to the parts store several times already for this. The first hose I got was a little too big for the tow main vent lines:rolleyes:

Just get rid of that hunk of junk and get a truck. :D:D

I have the lines form the red KC if they will help.

I wish I could get another hunk of junk (KC):D ...Some day!

• 4 years later...

Bump this.

I'm looking to replace the lines coming off the tank.

20131026_165521_zpsda43a0ec.jpg

The circled yellow I measured ~14.25mm--which I would think 5/8" would work fine.

My main concern is the other 2 ports circled red. I measured those to be around ~17.25mm.

I see 72wagun was thinking to use 5/8" fuel line. Anyone have a suggestion for a common size and hose type for these? A more appropriate size would be 11/16" or so.

Wow that's perfect! Thanks.

Got the 10an and 12an hose ordered. I think the dude that wrote that article, Dan Heil, I have been in touch with via email, as the wagon rear disk brake brackets I bought were originally designed for him.

Perhaps I should go thank the dude.