Ideas on how to change cross member while engine still in car.

das280zx

So I am going to convert my 81 zx to power rack and pinion steering with the parts I bought from 240zAdam. Right now I have the gearbox type power steering in the car. This will require taking the front crossmember out without removing the engine. I think it shouldn't be super hard. The hardest part will be supporting the engine while the cross member is out I imagine. My Dad has a device for doing this on his Rabbit pickup. Any transmission work you do on a fwd leaves the engine hanging in mid-air. So he has this piece of square tubing with a hook in it that your lay accross the ledge where the fenders bolt on. It supports the engine while the transmission is out. I am thinking something similar would work on my zx to support the fron half of the engine. Anybody ever done anything like this? Pointers?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mechanics use bay braces all the time ,cut some 2inch steel water pipe ,to fit the hood chanel unbolt moter ,jack up eng ,use large heavy chain to intake & alt mount and rap around bar a few times , drop out crossmember and dont stay under any longer than nessary to get job done

jack up the engine, place large pipe across the frame rails at front pulley area, dont use the oil pan as it may dent. remove control arms, unbolt engine and swap. just did it 6 months ago. same way to roll in a set of new bearings.