67 520 J13 won't accelerate.

mickth

So, I've got a pretty stock 520. It's got a pretty stock J13. There are photos in the for sale forum. Anyway, I've been driving it around for a while, without issue. Then this last weekend on the way to the store, it started sputtering under acceleration. It idle's great. But the moment I apply any pressure to the pedal, it sputters. It sputters to the point where it would almost die. Can't tell if it's getting too much fuel, or too little fuel. Any thoughts? Also, the front bumper has the hole in it for the hand crank. Plus, I do have the hand crank. The problem is, the crankshaft pulley bolt is not the right bolt. There isn't a slot in it that matches the hand crank. Does anyone have a bolt? Can I just take out the bolt that is in there, and replace it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Using 520, J-13, accelerate all in the same sentence could be classified as wishful thinking. However, as a past owner of Datsun 520 pickups, with the J-13 engine, I would first check the fuel filter. Then I would replace the rubber suction hose from the fuel tank to the hard pipe....it may have a small crack and be sucking air. This is assuming, of course, that the engine was in a good state of tune, and running well before it started misbehaving.

As to starting with the crank, it's easier to push start it. Safer too. Somewhere I did a little write up about using the crank to start my truck. Good luck on finding a bolt for the crank pulley....although there are probably at least 3 people on this forum that probably have at least one in the shop.lol

Good luck,

Crabby

the funny thing about this is that I was thinking about trying to crank my 520 tonite but I don't have the crank? I have acceleration issues as well, but the not stopping issues out weigh the go fast issues so I will cross that bridge when I come to it, thanks for the info on the cracked line, I just put it on my list of things to replace.

Using 520, J-13, accelerate all in the same sentence could be classified as wishful thinking. However, as a past owner of Datsun 520 pickups, with the J-13 engine, I would first check the fuel filter. Then I would replace the rubber suction hose from the fuel tank to the hard pipe....it may have a small crack and be sucking air. This is assuming, of course, that the engine was in a good state of tune, and running well before it started misbehaving.

As to starting with the crank, it's easier to push start it. Safer too. Somewhere I did a little write up about using the crank to start my truck. Good luck on finding a bolt for the crank pulley....although there are probably at least 3 people on this forum that probably have at least one in the shop.lol

Good luck,

Crabby

Thanks. My J13 is very fast. It at least does 0 to 45 in well, under a minute? Seriously though, it was tuned pretty well actually. It was probably a bit on the lean side, but it idles very smooth, and accelerates 'smooth' (not fast, just smooth). So yes, it does seem like air in the fuel line. I've checked for holes in the hose going all the way from the tank to the engine. Most of it is hardline, not hose, but the parts that are hose, I've checked. I haven't looked in the tank yet. Maybe this weekend.

I was just thinking of wanting to try cranking it for fun. Not really needed, just, fun.

Sounds like the primary jet is blocked. Could be dirt or even water. Was your fuel level low in the tank when this happened? Any water (or crap) in the tank could be sucked up and it will settle to the carb bottom and cover the jets. Usually it takes a while to 'suck it through' but this will clear up as you drive. If dirt you may gave to remove the carb and clean it. If you havent changed the fuel filter lately then do so. Cut it open and see what's trapped in there. If it's clean than that's a good indicator that the tank lines and carb are too. I cut one open to find the filter element had fallen loose and gas was going right past it.

• 1 month later...

Well, I haven't had much time to work on things. I took the tank out, and had it flushed. Put everything back together, still the same. Over the weekend, I went to move it, and it won't start. It will crank over really good, and then gas starts pouring out the carb. So, now I'm thinking no spark...... bad distributor? I haven't checked to see if it is turning or not.

BTW, thought I'd post a photo......

IMG_9799.jpg

Edited by mickth

Nissan solved this problem in 1969 by taking out the J13 and fitting the L16.

But seriously, I agree with DMike, junk in the jets is a common cause of this symptoms. It could be other things, but I'd start with that. Remove the jets spray carb cleaner and put the jets back in.

Well, I haven't had much time to work on things. I took the tank out, and had it flushed. Put everything back together, still the same. Over the weekend, I went to move it, and it won't start. It will crank over really good, and then gas starts pouring out the carb. So, now I'm thinking no spark...... bad distributor? I haven't checked to see if it is turning or not.

BTW, thought I'd post a photo......

IMG_9799.jpg

Pull a plug wire off and stick any old spark plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface like the valve cover and crank it over. If there is spark then check for fuel delivery.

Look at carb engine off. Pump gas and look for strong stream of fuel in the primary barrel from the accelerator pump. Yes/no?. Is the choke set and on?