620 garage/museum/library

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer two questions........... The garage is 28' wide by 52' deep and 16' tall. It is the newer steel construction building, only 6 years old. Next on the agenda is to insulate. I am NOT looking forward to that as I am afraid of heights!!!! After that, it is finally move in time!

The library is 12' deep by 5' wide. I am hoping that it will hold all of the magazines. To see them all in one place is pretty overwhelming, but that is all that is left of mini truck history. Can You even imagine the scanning chore ahead????

Mark, come on out!!!!!!! Anyone else, just email Me.......... the weather is nice for 4 more months!!!

Steroid - You are a man with a vision which some of us lack

Kudos to you my friend! You are certainly a person who deserves the kind of blessings you have received... I have the utmost respect for you... I admire your visions and your kind generosity to share your Datsun experiences with all of us. Need I say more....?:thumbup:

I wholeheartedly agree. I wouldn't be, I couldn't be, a nurse. But I'm damn glad there are those among us, like yourself, that care enough to take on these jobs that the rest of us are, for whatever reason, unfit, ill equipped or unwilling to do.

mike

• 1 month later...

Ok i was out @ Steroid's a few weeks ago to help him hang insulation & visit for a few days. We got very dusty & itchy but it was worth it. Mike told me last year the barn got up to 137 degrees 1 day last summer....... :devil:

r2unnt.jpg

check out the grills... :geek:

2ep6jcn.jpg

the 4 door cab...

71662a.jpg

idhkrq.jpg

the Colorado river crossing into Needles CA. AZ is on the right & CA is on the left..

nlsabm.jpg

the completed library...

1265727418.jpg

1265727418.jpg

tandem Schwinn..

1265726399.jpg

1265726329.jpg

I had a great time hanging out & getting up to "antics".

Mark,

Once again, thanks for all of Your help!!!! As You well know, I couldn't have done it without You.

My library just blows Me away. I have wanted it for SOOOOOoooooooo many years!!! I just finished up this weekend with Truckin' magazine and the Japanese magazine, Cal Magazine. I am complete on Truckin' from 1975 to present which almost takes up one 12' shelf by itself! The other blue wrapped magazines that You see are Street Rodder, Tailgate and Rod Action, which are also complete. The floor will have those blue trays across to prevent any water from ever reaching the "for sale" magazines which will be kept in plastic tubs setting on them. They can be easily and quickly loaded for a swapmeet or sale. I still have to do Pickup, Van and 4wd magazine and all of the Petersen publications. Hopefully, within a month they will ALL be done. Also during the small and quickly closing window I have (before the heat) I have to cover the walls with the metal. I hope to start that project Wednesday.

Thanks all You guys for Your positive comments!!! History WILL be preserved!! Not just for You, but for Your children as well. Hopefully, one day some of You can visit and it can be SHARED, which is the real purpose of this insanity!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats Mike I know when I visited you at your house last summer you where very excited about this endever. I am glad to see all your hard work and the love you have for the preservation of the classic mini truck life is coming to reality. I look forward to coming to your new love and checking out you collection of all your periodicals and everything else you have. AND I know that when you get it more up and going and are ready for the shop warming party. I will for sure mark it on my calender and make the trip from the NW to join you in the celebration. Your hard work over years to accumulte probly one of the best collection of classic mini truck history will be an honor to see....again congrats and we all look forward to seeing it in person.

ANd a quick side note...Mark,(PAcific Coast) your a pimp, you help out so many and ask for so little. I wish I lived in your area you would be a great person to know better and I am glad to know you....Eveyone you help appreciate it...As I know Mike does....

Dave is right. With Mark and Bruce's help, this is all coming together. Mark did more than He lets on, though!!! Mucho appreciated!!

The panels, as You will notice, had to be lengthened to 113" each. See how they repeat themselves every 6th panel? I took 2' sections and poprivited them to the 8' sheets and overlaid 4' pieces onto 6' sheets. This was quite a process. They all had to be hand straightened and adjusted before pop riveting them together. They actually go up quite easy. When they are all installed I will screw license plates from the 8 states that Route 66 runs through in order from left to right (California to Illinois). Maybe a few road signs and if I ever find a Datsun sign or have a neon made, hanging dead center. When the 6 remaining pieces are put up next week, it will be time to finally bring Funtana and Choptana to the barn to join Their brothers and sisters!! There will be eight 620s in the barn total. Finally, out of the direct heat and weather!!

Big Dave is right!! There will have to be a "barn warming" party!! I am hoping that a bunch of You can visit for a few days before the West Coast Nationals in September.

Thanks again You guys for all of Your positive comments!!!

I forgot to add:

The area just below the corrigated metal will also be insulated. That area will be where I hang tailgates, grilles, hoods and cowls which will have them out of the way safely and also displayable. More surprizes later!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I haven't added here for a while. Been getting LOTS done!! Yesterday I finally got safety railing installed above library area. Will be starting soon on mounting LOTS of license plates!!

2eDeYe' date='03 February 2011 - 10:58 AM' timestamp='1296759485' post='421836']

PICS! :D

Her you are sir :D

1erqmc.jpg

11i0lza.jpg

6nwf4k.jpg

Ill be visiting the "barn" in March after the Forbidden fantasy show with a VERY special visitor!

Mike is getting everything organized & cleaned & ill be snapping pix :cool:

Thank You Mark ! ! !

That railing was "salvaged" and placed between pipes that were fastened last week. Next, I will cover the railing from the outside in corregated metal. Two reasons for that....... one is to block the view from below of all that will be placed one day upstairs. The other reason is to keep things from falling over the side!! Yes, I plan to "decorate" the metal. I have two different ideas for that. Stay tuned!!!