620 garage/museum/library

My dream finally came true!!! Last week the dream I have been waiting for finally happened!! I was truly blessed with one place for ALL of My 620s, parts and magazines!!! This was truly a miracle as I have been looking for about 4 years for a steel garage to house everything. With Bullhead City and Laughlin in the close proximity to Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Phoenix, steel building garages have literally skyrocketed for people to house Their waverunners, boats and such. I had not found ANYTHING under $150,000.00. This building is on a lot with a 1972 singlewide trailer, which banks will NOT finance. It surfaced three weeks and was listed for $90,000.00!!! The catch was that no bank would give a loan so it had to be a cash only transaction. I offered $70,000.00 and He settled for $75,000.00 leaving all furnishings!! Here is the garage view:

garage.jpg

What is "a white wall" that You see on the right side is a bedroom that the owner had built. It has a full shower, toilet and sink. What I am in the process of now is moving that wall back 9 feet to make a closed in "library" for all of the magazines and books. There is an outside entrance for what will be that room. Another larger entrance comes into the garage. It is 52' X 28' X 16 feet high!! With that wall moved back, I am certain I can house 8 trucks in one place!! The roof of the "bedroom" was built with 2" X 12" braces, so I will be able to store fenders, hoods and such upstairs and out of the way!!Also, the singlewide can accomodate guests down the road!! You can only imagine how excited I am to finally have an affordable location!! God has truly smiled upon Me!! Notice how small the fourdoor's cab looks inside!! More photos to come as things progress.

• Like 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You guys............ I am still overwhelmed. I have imagined this for a long time. The heat has been on all of My trucks except Funtana and Choptana. I can now house them from harm. Yes, there was some land......... it is in an area with older mobile homes on seperate lots. This lot is a "corner" lot in the curve of the street, so it is shaped like a triangle. There is room for both of My 620 trailers under one awning and 2 other trucks under the other awning. PARTY, yes!!!! I am hoping that You guys can start planning to attend a few area shows. The mobilehome could house (on the floor and such) 8 to 10 people. Even with the trailers and such, which I could move, about 6 vehicles (visitors) could park inside the chainlink fence. I do not know if I will have it ready before September for You guys coming to the Parker run, but I am hoping so. The library is foremost, then hanging things on the walls (like grilles, etc.) before rolling the other trucks in. With all this going on, I still have the dually project at the welder's and the RHD hopefully going to get the firewall painted the first part of July. The next big run would be in April so maybe an open house can be planned on that weekend. When finished, I can finally share what We all love and some "route 66" trips could be planned to either Kingman or Seligman. The potential is finally shaping up for "river adventures" with You guys coming over and down someday.

• Like 1
Thank You guys............ I am still overwhelmed. I have imagined this for a long time. The heat has been on all of My trucks except Funtana and Choptana. I can now house them from harm. Yes, there was some land......... it is in an area with older mobile homes on seperate lots. This lot is a "corner" lot in the curve of the street, so it is shaped like a triangle. There is room for both of My 620 trailers under one awning and 2 other trucks under the other awning. PARTY, yes!!!! I am hoping that You guys can start planning to attend a few area shows. The mobilehome could house (on the floor and such) 8 to 10 people. Even with the trailers and such, which I could move, about 6 vehicles (visitors) could park inside the chainlink fence. I do not know if I will have it ready before September for You guys coming to the Parker run, but I am hoping so. The library is foremost, then hanging things on the walls (like grilles, etc.) before rolling the other trucks in. With all this going on, I still have the dually project at the welder's and the RHD hopefully going to get the firewall painted the first part of July. The next big run would be in April so maybe an open house can be planned on that weekend. When finished, I can finally share what We all love and some "route 66" trips could be planned to either Kingman or Seligman. The potential is finally shaping up for "river adventures" with You guys coming over and down someday.

Mike if I give you my address can you send some of your energy to me. :lol:

Sounds like your plate is pretty full. And your sending out invites to come and hang out in the new man cave. How COOL are you.?

right on bro, that is by far the man cave of all, all i'm looking for is a three or four car garage , but GOD has blessed u in a great big way, maybe the wife and i can take a trip up soon..:D, that is fantastic, and the crew cab looks like a model truck in there..:lol:, good for u bro..tom

Thank You guys for Your nice comments.

First off, I want to say that I am not a believer of sayings like "the one with the most wins" or anything like that. I would years ago never imagined owning so many trucks or even having to locate a place to house them all. I was satisfied 10 years ago with one 1956 Ford panel truck. Yes, this has somewhat got "out of hand". But My concerns that history is slipping away has drawn Me to obtain trucks that not only reflect history, but some that are actually historic themselves. I am NOT doing this to be boastful, self centered or vain. I want You guys to know that. As far as being "cool", thank You for that comment but in all actuality what good would all of this be if I "hoard" it all? I want You guys to SEE history. I want to SHARE times that I lived in with You all. My "style" is not interesting to all of You. I know this. But it still IS history. Any of You that appreciate this, I would love to one day be able to show and share. That is why I do "this". NOT to be cool, but to pass something that was very popular and fading away with You all. I cann't take You back in time to a truck run with over 1000 Datsuns (and LUVs, Couriers, etc.) there. But what I CAN DO is let You see a glimpse of what is left. Those were very good times. Someday maybe You can visit and see what I was blessed to be a part of!

Mike. You might be able to start the next datsun museum. But a 620 history museum. Most of the guys on here don't remember the mini truck scene from the 70's to early 80's. I do but I was not into trucks back then. I was a V.W. nut. But alot of my friends were into mini trucks and vans. Boy them were the dayz. :D

Oh yea. Anyone that knows you knows your not braggin.

Edited by datrod

Steroid - You are a man with a vision which some of us lack

Kudos to you my friend! You are certainly a person who deserves the kind of blessings you have received... I have the utmost respect for you... I admire your visions and your kind generosity to share your Datsun experiences with all of us. Need I say more....?:thumbup:

mike, anyone who knows u , knows the type of person u r, and would never think u r doin this to boast about your accomplishments, those of us who know u more personally, also know u for the man of GOD that u r, and we know this is for all to share in, and thanks for lettin us all relive an era of time that does need to be remembered...forge forward my brother, and i know that nothing will stop u , for u have the Lord JESUS' blessing..thx bro..tom:)

Greg........ No name for the garage yet, BUT, clubhouse for the singlewide!!

Here is what was accomplished last week before I left for work on Saturday.

First, the drywall, roofing and ceiling was stripped to expose 12' X 9' that would be shortened/removed.....

garage7.jpg

This would make more room for the needed garage space. Next, and mind You this took all week to do, was to remove and shove back the wall.....

garage5.jpg

Next was to remove the sides...

garage3.jpg

This is what the library will now become: A 5' X 12 foot windowless room with one steel door. Hopefully, dust proof, bug proof, theft proof, fire proof and UV Ray proof. This moving of the wall also gave Me 96 more Sq. feet in the garage. There will be storage room on top also....

garage2.jpg

Next, re-wire, install drywall and then use the AWESOME 2" X 12"s left over from the ceiling for the book shelves!! All I have to buy is 2 lights and 6 pieces of drywall!! Stay tuned!!

mike that is so awesome bro, i can not wait to take a drive over and ck out the man cavern u have, GOD is good !! i will give u a call in near future cause i will be needing a new air dam for the project truck soon, good work dude. tom:D

• 1 month later...

I had been working non stop on the garage up until the temperature got a few weeks ago above 120 degrees. On Tuesday, I took a trip out into the desert to get the "interior wall" material. There was an old building that was being razed so I obtained 55 sheets of aged corrigated metal sheets. I will start insulating the walls in a month or so when it is toleriable to do so and then cover them with these sheets, overlapping to look like an old barn inside.

garagemetal1.jpg

garagemetal2.jpg

After that is done, I will start adding lots of old license plates and "stuff" to the walls. Maybe someday I will find a Datsun logo neon sign to put in the upper back center.

• 4 months later...

Wednesday Bruce completed the library!!!! Now it is time to move in. I just took 51 computer boxs with magazines over to get ready to place on the shelves. That is NOT the complete collection, though!! There are aproximately 25 more boxs that I have already sorted and placed in invividual binders. Add to that My photographs and such and I am certain it will be close to capacity. Hopefully by spring. Here is an idea of how it turned out:

library1.jpg

library2.jpg