wagon rear options

bucket

well i dont have a direct questions just looking for ideas for now on some nonscence im thinking about . my wagons ass. if some one was board and wanted to make a goon as much fun as a daily driver can be, what would be the way to go if some one wanted to ditch the solid rear axle and leaf springs?

i work in a machine shop and weld so a lil fabs no trouble. money not so much, and plenty of patiance.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No advantage to IRS in a goon. (maybe a slight handling edge but will run the same) Find a 4.375 ratio 620 rear end and swap the goon side gears into it and install. More performance. There are also 4.11s and the automatic goons had 3.90s.

i tryed to learn about gear ratios but i aint to brite. so feel free to dumn em down for me i understand the revolutions 1 makes in the time it takes the other one time. but theres some confusing stuff on witch gear gets the best rpms and on and on.... what i want to learn is whats good and bad and how to make bad better. how to take a given engine and get the best results for that whare the wheel hits the road. sorry if i should know but i will soon

odds are i wont do anything drastic. im just qurious. i get a lot of concererd passengers about the ruff ride. then i think i dont run a moveing service why do i need a truckers rear. then i look into it as much as i can find it looks like same ol same ol when it comes to goons suspention, no one try to hard to see whats possible. or i cant find em.

Just don't carry any of your friends and you will have no problems. As long as you have room for you and a lady friend life is good. :D

Edited by datrod
No advantage to IRS in a goon. (maybe a slight handling edge but will run the same) Find a 4.375 ratio 620 rear end and swap the goon side gears into it and install. More performance. There are also 4.11s and the automatic goons had 3.90s.

I have 71 goon, so what's the gear ratio on that.never open it yet.Used to be automatic...thanks.

ok i did some more homework today and its looking limited . what im wondering about is what was mentioned about 620 rear axles. is that the best place to look for maby a 3rd member i could pull and swap into my wagon that would give a better ratio ?

Depends what you are looking for. L16s aren't that powerful but they do rev. Lowering the ratio (larger mumbers) will allow your goon to rev higher sooner. This means that it is making power sooner at the same speed as the old gears were, giving it a bit more snap. Now you can't get something for nothing.... more bottom end torque/power is a trade off. For that, you get less top end speed and your mileage will go down as well. Oh yeah, your speedo will read higher than you are actually going as well.

Give some thought to installing a 5spd later. The 5th gear is an over drive that will drop the highway revs back down closer to what you had before the gear change. Lower rear end gears... and an over drive 5spd... cake, and eat it too!!!

You will also have to partially dismantle both differentials in order to remove the goon's side gears so you can put them into the truck rear end. The reason for this is that the goon and truck axles are different diameter sizes and have different number of splines on them. I think the trucks has 29 spline and the goon is 23?

im always looking for a 5 speed , just one i dont have to shorten the drive line for. and my speedos not even working anyway (kinked). i really just want 1st and 2nd gear to feel like 3rd . 3rd gear is whare my car boogies at, 1st. & 2nd slug . that sucks.

Edited by bucket

The 5spd to look for is the FS5W63A from a '77-'79 200sx or optional on the HLA10 '78-'80. Drops right in,

Seems to me a longer FS5W71B will work if you use the shorter 510 sedan driveshaft?? Anyone remember?