motor swap

djaztek12

question i have a l16 motor that has severe cilynder damage i try to look for a L18 or L20 n having no luck, thinking of going eithere going Ka24 or Sr20 those any one can help me or direct me to where i could find eithere motor in the inland empire ca, i got to get my 69 wagon running again. thank's

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Id go KA, but maybe i am just bias cause i am in the middle of it now:D if you get a good motor the rest of the parts can be accuired from the junkyard...i mean bought and paid for :fu: lol...it really is an easy swap though.

WTF that my polished valve cover lol

thanks and guys i try is been 3 days trying to find a motor and i had no luck is probably cause im new to the 510 world . lol lol what do you guys think about the rotary engine

thanks and guys i try is been 3 days trying to find a motor and i had no luck is probably cause im new to the 510 world . lol lol what do you guys think about the rotary engine

Runs hot as hell, exhaust alone could nuke your steering gearbox. Plenty of write-ups on the swap, but I am just not a rotary fan...

Nissan all the way!

Runs hot as hell, exhaust alone could nuke your steering gearbox. Plenty of write-ups on the swap, but I am just not a rotary fan...

Nissan all the way!

not to mention its designed to consume its own motor oil and are expencive as all hell have to sell your first born on the black market to get a rebuild

I checked forums and craigslist every day for my motor.... a month or so later i ended up finding one from a friend. KA's are not very common anymore, and if they are on there people want waaaaaay too much

Rotaries used to be the cool thing, but no longer, because there's so much better swaps nowadays.

Also, the exhaust on a rotary is on the passengers side, so it won't nuke the steering gearbox. But it does get hot as hell, and causes issues with an overheated floorboard, raising the interior temp of the car.

you guys are the best thanks for the help you guys might get mad but i found a very sweet deal on a complete 13b swap and the good thing about that motor my neighbor is a rotary fanatic and knows ho to rebuild them he has a sick rx3 so if ever need a rebuild he will do it for me cheap (works for beer) LOL LOL

thinking of going eithere going Ka24 or Sr20

Now Rotary??????

I see a pattern from L16 too one of these motors..

Find a L motor for cheap!!!!!!Install it 1st.

We really dont know your ability.

I had my 510 10 years before I finally rebuilt a motor and learned the in/out and certain quirks ones needs to know to make a clean non leaky reliably motor.

If the neihboor will do it maybe?????????? But even a free moto is going to cost you so how much money for part do you have as alot of 510 owners I have meet a one step away from being throw out of their house and car will GO to the dump which I have seen all to often in my 20yrs of datsun Ownership

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • 4 months later...

MY girlfriend has a 2004 RX 8

If she starts the car and then shuts it off right away the car dont start. (not a good Chick car) Only way to get it started is to tow it from behind since no way to get at the front with a low tow strap and pull start it. In reverse.

Dont know if this is common on the earlier mazdas. something about the Apex seals getting wet and wont fire up.

sorry for thread hijack

I don't think that's normal for any rotary -- especially a newer, injected one. You may want to get that one checked out. The older carb'ed ones did experience that. There was a specific procedure for starting them and some sort of cold start module/actuator that was prone to failure. They would flood resulting in stuck apex seals -- no compression. A buddy of mine worked for Mazda back in the early '90s and bought quite a few RX7s from customers that had "bad engines". He would put ATF in the chambers and tow them a couple blocks to free up the seals, add new plugs and fire them up. Once the smoke was cleared they were resold.