What Might This '70 521 Project Be Worth? Lots Of Pics, Not Dial-up Friendly.

JetskiMark

I found this excellent forum while doing a Google image search for "Datsun 620". (I have always wanted a 620 King Cab.)

I bought this 1970 521 in 1976 from the original owner. I was in the eleventh grade at the time. I wanted to put a built L20B in it but I found a thrashed but excellent running Datsun 2000 Roadster for a good deal. I made mounts and put the U20 and the 5 speed in it. It had way more power than the L16 and it ran strong for a number of years. Then one day the timing chain broke and took out the valves, the jack shaft and the front cover. This was in 1981 I believe. I sold the U20 engine and trans and I wanted to put a V8 in it.

It has been sitting ever since....

It has sentimental value and that is why I never got rid of it. I did a LOT of partying, camping and banging in this truck. I always thought that one day I would build it into my dream truck. (I now think that all of the attractive young women that were willingly penetrated in this truck are now old bags. I have been on Classmates.com and it aint pretty.)

I have come to the realization that I will never have the time nor the motivation to complete (or even start) this project.

This is a feeler to see what a fair price would be and if there is any interest in the Los Angeles/Ventura County area. I would like to be able to see this truck again during the process and when it is done.

The truck has never been in an accident and has only very light surface rust. I cut the front of the bed and the back of the cab when I put the shell on. I installed Addco front and rear sway bars which are still there. I put in power windows and power door lock motors (not solenoids) to pop the doors. I think I still have the window motors somewhere.

I had put Cragar SS wheels (15x10s with 295/50/15 Radial TAs & 14x7s with 245/50/14s) on it but I sold them after it died.

I will take the junk out of the inside, take some pics and see if the floor is still rust free.

I just took a few crappy pics to give everybody an idea of the condition of my poor old truck.

P1000859copy.jpg

The surface rust seems to only be under the stripes.

P1000860copy.jpg

The fiberglass is in good condition.

P1000861copy.jpg

There are some dents in the roof from the previous owner carrying long pieces of wood.

P1000862copy.jpg

The hood should probably be replaced. I must have been really high and I forgot to lock it one time and it flew up.

P1000863copy.jpg

Delinquent neighbor kids shot out the windshield and the headlights.

P1000864copy.jpg

I have to clean the junk out and see how the floors look.

P1000865copy.jpg

The sides are reasonably straight.

P1000866copy.jpg

My teenage drug-induced motor mount and the musical air horn compressor. You can change the song with a rotating fiber disk. I seem to recall my favorite being "Charge".

P1000867copy.jpg

My clean wiring job.

P1000868copy.jpg

The other delirious motor mount. A U20 will drop right in.

P1000869copy.jpg

I had to cut the center brace to clear the valve cover.

P1000870copy.jpg

The mounts could be removed with a little grinding. They were purposely not welded all the way around. My friend did the welding. I should have bought the beer after the welding was done, not before.

P1000871copy.jpg

More wiring added one circuit at a time after numerous bong loads.

P1000872copy.jpg

Miscreants shot out the headlights too. I hacked off the front end in a stupor. I was planning on making a custom tube grill.

P1000873copy.jpg

The tubular key locks were for the power doors and the alarm. (70s technology.)

P1000874copy.jpg

The passenger side is pretty straight too. I want to get rid of my V8 Z and motorhomes too.

P1000875copy.jpg

I always wanted to narrow the shell to perfectly fit the bed. I don't think that there are any stress cracks in it.

P1000876copy.jpg

The Gabriel Hi-Jackers used to be bright white. You can see the Addco rear sway bar, traction bars, marker lights and my custom shower curtain rod struts. I used to get a lot of compliments on them. There was a chrome plastic diff cover on there at one time. I kept the rear end clean and polished.

P1000877copy.jpg

Old school GT Spoiler. I liked the additional "head" room it offered compared to a cab high shell.

I will take pics of the inside soon.

I have a clear title but I never filed a non-op and I never got anything from the DMV so I'm not sure what would be involved. At least it's smog exempt.

Let the flaming begin....

Regards,

Mark

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont think anyone would flame you for that cool rig!!

I was being somewhat sarcastic. I have been on dozens of internet forums since the mid 90s and have seen many seemingly innocuous threads turn ugly. So I am never surprised by being flamed.

Not sure what it would be worth, but at one time it sure was someones pride and joy. How is the rust on it, any cancer?

It was my pride and joy when I was a teenager. There is no body cancer.

Looks to be fixable condition

The more I look at it, the more I think that I should keep it and restore it.

I'm still wondering what a fair price might be.

Man, I disagree. Really how old are you Mr, jet ski man. If you love this car so much, just drop in an l20b or l series engine and your fine. Really how much will that cost? People have had cars here that are in much worse shape and made them there daily drivers. If your retired and have nothing else to do then just work on it as a hobby. I can get that truck running very well with less than 2k.

I bought a 521 about a year ago and have been working on it off and on. I keep an eye on 521s that are for sale. I also keep my eye out for 521 parts.

The sheet metal on your truck looks like it's in pretty good shape. Unfortunatly, the fact that the cab is cut up a little (moonroof, opening to bed), means it's not worth very much. Someone may want the floorboards if they are good. Sounds like the bed would be good if someone just replaced the front. Good front fenders. Hood support has been cut. Core support cut. Someone may also want misc. items like heater, gauge cluster etc. The windshield is the most important glass, and it's broken.

If I were going to buy your truck, I would look at it as some sheet metal peices that are in pretty good shape, but not much more. I think the $200 price mentioned would be fair. If someone would haul it away for that, I'd say you did pretty well.

Edited by 72wagun

Thank you to everyone for your input.

Drop it off at PL521SSS"s house w/title

Youll save yourself a whole bunch of money$$$$$$.

once its gone you wont miss it. Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I agree. I should have sold it years ago. It is a connection to my youth but it is just a machine and it's time to move on with my mid-life crisis. Once I get rid of all my old project vehicles, I am going to treat myself to a new '09 Viper convertible.

Its cheaper to find one in better condition RUNNING than fixing that one up.

Man, I disagree. Really how old are you Mr, jet ski man. I am about to turn 49. Time flys and it sucks. If you love this car so much, just drop in an l20b or l series engine and your fine. Really how much will that cost? People have had cars here that are in much worse shape and made them there daily drivers. If your retired and have nothing else to do then just work on it as a hobby. I wish I could retire now. I have more money than time or the motivation to wrench however. I can get that truck running very well with less than 2k.

A fair price for a truck in that condition, is a couple hundred bucks. At most That's about what I thought but I figured I would ask those who know.

I bought a 521 about a year ago and have been working on it off and on. I keep an eye on 521s that are for sale. I also keep my eye out for 521 parts.

The sheet metal on your truck looks like it's in pretty good shape. Unfortunatly, the fact that the cab is cut up a little (moonroof, opening to bed), means it's not worth very much. Someone may want the floorboards if they are good. Sounds like the bed would be good if someone just replaced the front. Good front fenders. Hood support has been cut. Core support cut. Someone may also want misc. items like heater, gauge cluster etc. The windshield is the most important glass, and it's broken.

If I were going to buy your truck, I would look at it as some sheet metal peices that are in pretty good shape, but not much more. I think the $200 price mentioned would be fair. If someone would haul it away for that, I'd say you did pretty well. When I detach the sentimental value and look at it objectively, I agree with everything you stated.

I took a few pics of the floorboards and dash. There appears to be only surface rust and there are no holes other than the factory drain holes.

P1000878copy.jpg

P1000879copy.jpg

P1000880copy.jpg

P1000881copy.jpg

Man, I disagree. Really how old are you Mr, jet ski man. If you love this car so much, just drop in an l20b or l series engine and your fine. Really how much will that cost? People have had cars here that are in much worse shape and made them there daily drivers. If your retired and have nothing else to do then just work on it as a hobby. I can get that truck running very well with less than 2k.

It would take a bit of work to put an L series in there since it was converted from L to J motor!! :eek: Cut those wacky mounts off and MIGHT work... depends on whats under there.

Whats it worth? Couple hundred... I usually see these for under a grand running. Question is, is it worth YOUR time to do, and is it within your skill level... think it over real hard.

This is a feeler to see what a fair price would be and if there is any interest in the Los Angeles/Ventura County area.

You asked...

What's it worth? The last 2 that came to my house were in similar shape but more complete. One was free and one cost a 12-pack. I guess maybe the market is stronger down there.

These guys are in line with those prices. You might get more parting it out. I would think that Guy is "salivating" on Your camper shell!! He has been looking for one like that for years!! I could make a mold off of the sunvisor if I knew other 521 guys wanted one. The steering wheel with horn button might fetch a lot on ebay!! Parting it out might be the way to go.

• 2 months later...