ratsun carrier bearing fix..

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your U-joints are bad to the point of wobbling that bad replace them AS SOON AS FUCKING POSSIBLE. Id be worried about driving around the block. If they let loose they can rip your pinion apart, take out wiring, exhaust, fuel/brakelines... whatever. Figure youve got a 2 or 3 foot metal rod spinning around under your truck smacking the shit out of anything in its way...

It would definately be cheaper and easier to just get a different used D-shaft with decent ujoints and then grease those ones up up. Hell, someone on here probably has one theyll give you seeing as how youve got the carrier bearing fixed (Im curious to see how that holds up, if it works you cant beat the price)

If you do drive it still take her easy, no burnouts or crazy stuff.

the clank is heard when you accellerate an then let off quickly without puttin the clutch in.. And when reversing out of my driveway.. or parking spot.. its just 1 clank.. say i reverse a little then let off clutch in an brake clank then back on gas clank let off clank..

Textbook u-joint failure warning signs ;)

Cheap to fix and fairly simply with the right tools. Datzenmike did a writeup :)

You are really only looking at a hour fix, I have seen guy out wheeling be able to change them out in 15 min. The vancouver autozone has them in stock, and they cost ten bucks, duralasts are not the best u joints, but it would get you to canby

• 2 weeks later...

so i re did my ratsun carrier bearing, it had come un done.. so what i did was added another rubber ring thing from a air filter i had layin around, was pretty thin an rubber.. then i re wrapped that with the other rubber stuff i was using.. slipped the ring on, then i used a little excess i had from that strip to fill in any gaps or loos spots, also i zip tied the rubbed on there, used 2 zip ties an pulled em as hard as i could.. so hopefully that fucker will stay in there, however.. she still vibrates like an old lady on a spin cycle with an off set load.

so im gonna take the drive shaft down to premium automotive repair an have jeremy (sssr20det510) hook me up with some u-joints :) hopefully that solves the problem.. other wise id wtf ima do.. if that shit dont fix it, its in the tranny or clutch or something, an if thats the case the trucks gonna take a loooonnnnggggg nap until i can dig into her again.. which will suck.. so lets hope its the fuckin u joint..