Rear Wheel Cylinders WTF??

kiznook

I can't seem to figure out the stupid little clips that hold the wheel cyl. to the backing plate (rear 510 sedan)

Is there a trick, or special order to put these in, I got them out fairly easy, but the little bastards don't want to fit with the new cyl. And the casting looks mostly the same on both.

Any help, or words of encouragement would be much appreciated.

-Guy

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, just like the 521 model. The 'clips' are called locking plates (in my old book) The very bottom one, the one against the backing plate is called the lock spring and is curved with the ends curled away from the backing plate. The next one, the lock plate, faces the opposite direction, and has a shoulder that the curled ends of the spring lock fit, and will snap into position and interlock. The next one (or two) are called shims and also face the opposite way to the very bottom one and clip on, last is the dust cover. I remember tapping them on with a screw driver, just don't force them once snug or the little tit will snap off!! Did that.

I hope this helps as I'm using a really old 30+ years manual's pictures, and even older memory.

yeah that's exactly it!

he shit part is I can get the first lock-clip on easy, the interlock clip, pretty tight. Once I get to the shim, it's nearly impossible! not to mention the shim is REALLY soft metal and doesn't like persuading

how tight does it need to be? I know it slides, do I even need the shim?

take the cylinder off and wire brush both sides of the mount. Then WD-40 and more wire brush. I found that having a really clean surface made a big difference. (rear drums of a 620) It clipped on just fine after that and I could slide the cylinder a bit by hand. That's the way it should be so the shoes center themselves each time you brake.

Also use brake cleaner on the inside after you get it mounted. You don't want WD-40 on your brake shoes. :P

Be aware there are two styles that LOOK the same, but use different thickness of locking plates: Tockico and Nabco. That was for the Datsun B110, but the cylinder is same PN as for 510.

When I bought a new one from RockAuto, it came with the matching lock plates. It was only $12 I think.