200SX struts?

I finally got to do some Datsun work today and I pulled the left front strut off of the 200SX Turbo my friend has and found the steering arm mount at the bottom of the strut has different spacing than the 510 strut. Has anybody used and S12 200SX strut? Did you use the S12 steering arm as well? I may just need to run up to the u pull it yards and find a 280ZX.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, it's a completely different strut, and came with 5 lug hubs. Different angles and everything. The guys that use the VG30 200ZX struts do so because you can throw on 4 lug Z31 hubs/rotors, and then if your really cool, you bolt on a set of Z32 4 piston front calipers. This is overkill, and more of a bling thing though. But I did it anyways.

Just get the 280ZX struts, makes everything a LOT easier, and will work for 100% of the situations you will ever have.

First off, it's a completely different strut, and came with 5 lug hubs. Different angles and everything. The guys that use the VG30 200ZX struts do so because you can throw on 4 lug Z31 hubs/rotors, and then if your really cool, you bolt on a set of Z32 4 piston front calipers. This is overkill, and more of a bling thing though. But I did it anyways.

Just get the 280ZX struts, makes everything a LOT easier, and will work for 100% of the situations you will ever have.

Ummm... There are both 4-lug and 5-lug S12 struts. The bolt size & spacing for the steering knuckle is the same as 510/280zx, however the cup between the bolts that fits the knuckle is larger on the S12 strut, so an adapter should be used to restore the sheer strength of that joint, whether built into an RCA/bump steer spacer or just a sleeve spacer. The angle of the strut is not different, but the offset of the hub AND the offset of the spindle & steering knuckle bolts are different than either 510 or 280zx. 4-lug s12 strut caliper bolt pattern is smaller than the 5-lug pattern if I remember corrrectly (89mm vs 100mm? Something like that).
  • 5 months later...
Correct, I was talking about the VG30 powered car struts, which came with 5 lugs.

pretty sure that is what Matt was talking about. VG came with the 5 lug and people put them in to use the 5 lug and drill the back to match. I have never heard of any differences in angles....

The only 200SX struts anyone uses are the VG30 ones. Otherwise just use the 280ZX struts.

I have S11 200sx struts. Bolt up fine. Solid disk, 4 piston toyota caliper.

Edited by heirfaus