Is anyone honest when selling stuff?????

Sorry just have to rant a little. Well I was going to buy a CA18DET that the guy said ran fine had new bearings and then I find out from someone that it has a bad rod bearing and blown turbo and he was trying to pass it off as a good swap. Now i found a S14 Sr20det motor rebuilt, tranny, mines ECU no turbo or manifold(that was ok cause i have a top mount and turbo) lightened flywheel, ACT Clutch, Needs harness for 1400 i offered 1000 he said he would take 1100, so im asking questions about who rebuilt it and is it a de motor or det motor whats the ecu out of. well he tells me ya it was rebuilt by a shop and that it was a det motor and the ecu was out of s14 he was told but the sticker was gone so he wasnt sure. So i last night was looking through old post by him on northwest nissans and found out it was a de motor not det and the ecu was a s15 ecu why cant people be honest they are always trying to fuck people over :mad::mad: Im just glad I have been lucky enough to find out b4 I bought it

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you caught yourself before dishing out the cash. Im like Hainz in a way. I end up giving parts away especially if i have 2 or 3 of the same thing.

Ya but i dont think anyone is going to give away a turbo motor LOL

Reminds me of a guy on cl I emailed a while back. He was selling an L motor. Said it was high compression race motor with an A87 head. So I emailed him and asked was the block a Z20 or L20 and did he mind if I pulled off the head to verify closed or open chamber.

Never heard back. But I have been screwed before buying a Z24 motor off cl. My own damn fault, saw the warning signs, should have left. Eventually I may rebuild it for the 720, but still, was supposed to be good but number 4 sat in water and dicked up the cylinder wall.

I don't know what to add to this other than in general I'd say most people we deal with will be honest sellers, but that doesn't mean don't be cautious. Whether it's a private seller or a business one should always look into things, especially when buying used parts. I've had my share of purchases gone bad and I hopefully have learned my lesson.

On the flip side, sometimes I feel I'm too honest of a seller (ie, if I didn't point out any problems cosmetic or otherwise like I do, I'd sell things faster), but I do want to make sure that my buyers know exactly what they're getting and won't find anything disappointing. That has resulted in no complaints from my buyers and in my book that is a good thing.

About a year ago my first transmission went out in the Z, and since I had to replace it, why not upgrade ;) so I started looking for a Borg Warner T-5. Took me a while, but I finally found one... or so I thought.

There was a guy up in the bay area who I e mailed from a craigslist ad stating he had a few transmissions and lots of other parts. I talked to on the phone a few times making sure it was actually a Borg Warner, he didn't seem like a Z guy so I was trying to explain that's the only one you can swap gears in... he said a million times it was the borg warner, I sent him the $$$ on paypal, he took a month to ship it, and when it got here I opened it up to see it was just an 82zx N/A tranny... however it was "rebuilt" he said... I was pretty mad it was the wrong transmission but either way needed the Z back on the road as she is my DD so I dropped it in and let it go.

Well 3 months ago that tranny blew up, and I tore it open to find all stock parts, torn up bearings and where it looked like someone used a chisel to remove the nut that holds the gears on the input shaft. Soo weak.:mellow:

kinda like doing a KA swap?????

Find out the KA has more miles than the L motor you had in there and its smoking.

Just because a KA you got for 500$ dont mean its going to be better.

Best to buy local if possible as I have seen lots of junk get sold

Buying a motor 2nd or 3rd hand gets even worse for history tracking.Who did what or stole parts off it ect......

im honest.

ive sold things that i didnt know were bad and made good on those.

for me its not worth the headache of dealing with some whiner that didnt specify what they wanted for. ie. it fits XXX, i have no idea if it fits YXY. not my fault if thats what you wanted it for.

wish it happened the other way. :fu:

karmas a bitch ya know!

if your not 100% on what your looking for its best to avoid then get screwed a second time in 1 deal...

Sorry just have to rant a little. Well I was going to buy a CA18DET that the guy said ran fine had new bearings and then I find out from someone that it has a bad rod bearing and blown turbo and he was trying to pass it off as a good swap. Now i found a S14 Sr20det motor rebuilt, tranny, mines ECU no turbo or manifold(that was ok cause i have a top mount and turbo) lightened flywheel, ACT Clutch, Needs harness for 1400 i offered 1000 he said he would take 1100, so im asking questions about who rebuilt it and is it a de motor or det motor whats the ecu out of. well he tells me ya it was rebuilt by a shop and that it was a det motor and the ecu was out of s14 he was told but the sticker was gone so he wasnt sure. So i last night was looking through old post by him on northwest nissans and found out it was a de motor not det and the ecu was a s15 ecu why cant people be honest they are always trying to fuck people over :mad::mad: Im just glad I have been lucky enough to find out b4 I bought it

Why not just buy an SR20 setup for $1500 from one of the import companies. They test them and guarantee them too. They may start with a higher asking price but show them cash and you can get an S13 SR20DET with everything for $1500 plus shipping.

I like to be as honest as I came "remember" to be, some times I just forget things. Sometimes I tell people everything and then they call me later saying I screwed them... ??? excuse me? I TOLD YOU, YOU IDIOT! You were just so excited you glazed over when I was talking... thats YOUR problem. I will NOT give refunds in a case like that and I feel bad but I'm not gonna eat someone elses mistake, I believe I am still honest... but I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if they are wrong. :D :lol:

I like to be as honest as I came "remember" to be, some times I just forget things. Sometimes I tell people everything and then they call me later saying I screwed them... ??? excuse me? I TOLD YOU, YOU IDIOT! You were just so excited you glazed over when I was talking... thats YOUR problem. I will NOT give refunds in a case like that and I feel bad but I'm not gonna eat someone elses mistake, I believe I am still honest... but I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if they are wrong. :D :lol:

If you forget to tell someone somthing thats differant than if you ask a question and they flat out lie

I always try to be honest with what I sell. If its garbage, its garbage. Simple!

A while back a ratsuner sold me some front turn signal ambers for my 620 that were cracked. I told him like 10 times "are you sure they are not cracked?" Every time he told me that they were mint and not cracked. When they got here, they arrived mother fucken cracked. Mother fucker! I paid you 25 dollars and they were cracked. WTF? *sigh* I wish I could go over there and kick his ass!

Any who some nice people here have helped me out. dat521kid is sending me the left side right now. Thanks! And Hessianben gave me the right one from the 620 he was parting out "thanks man". After 4 years I would hopefully have one good set. Thanks!:D

If it was re built, motor, head, trans or whatever, the owner should have receipts for the parts and maybe labor. If not, treat the thing as a total unknown quantity. Do not pay top dollar for an unknown. Research and know more about it than the seller. Be your own best expert. Ask questions and know what questions to ask. Don't feel obligated to pay full price, don't be afraid to say no and walk. Do not buy from desperation. Try to get some kind of guarantee or return if not satisfied.

If the seller doesn't have receipts, doesn't know what he talking about, can't answer questions or says ' I bought it this way, was working when I took it out, far as I know, or, as is' he's not prepared to sell it properly and was expecting you'd just pay and take it. If more people asked questions before buying there would be less douche bag sellers.

On the flip side, sometimes I feel I'm too honest of a seller (ie, if I didn't point out any problems cosmetic or otherwise like I do, I'd sell things faster), but I do want to make sure that my buyers know exactly what they're getting and won't find anything disappointing. That has resulted in no complaints from my buyers and in my book that is a good thing.

I'm kinda the same way..and my wife, who happens to be really good at selling stuff gets really pissed when I start pointing out things:o

HONEST.....PERIOD! :cool:

There is no other way to do it man...how many times have we all eaten the dirty end of a shoe because of some joker lyin his az off about whatever.

NO WAY. I have to sleep at night.

I agree about dealing with other Ratsun folks too:D

On the flip side, sometimes I feel I'm too honest of a seller (ie, if I didn't point out any problems cosmetic or otherwise like I do, I'd sell things faster)...

... or deep down inside you are secretly hoping that the sale falls through and you have to keep the part. :D

Many times I tend to be too honest, sometimes undermining my ability to sell something. It's all good though, as I feel bad selling something that's not great. I'm also the kind of person that would rather give something away for free if I know it has an issue. Heck, I've sold things on ebay, and fully disclosed what issues the item has, and feel bad for the buyer when the bidding goes beyond what I feel it's worth. But in that case, they know full well, so I can't complain.

Also when buying things, there's another thing that people don't understand.......People like me will pay *MORE* if you tell me exactly everything that's wrong with something. I'd pay more money if I know exactly what I'm getting into.

Sometimes you see an ad, and there's little description, and few pics, because the seller doesn't want/bother to say what the deal is with the item. Yet even if it was bad/broken, people would likely pay more because they know exactly what to look forward too.

I rarely sell stuff, because its a pita.

dito!!! I've scrapped a ton of stuff for just that reason!!! I'm easily several thousand in the hole from buying stuff that's complete crap. I hear an exhaust is all new pipe....I race over to find out that it's pieces hacked together and maybe 1/2 of it was new pipe....years ago.....but, he's hurtin' for cash, new baby...blah, blah.....he's a great guy, I enjoyed the heck out of chatting with him...I buy it anyway cause I've got some extra play money......I get it home and think.....WTF?! I'll be lucky to get any of my money back out of it and may just scrap it so I can feel like I won!....which is impossible, since the only way to win is to just build that dang stuff myself!!! I'd much rather spend $400 building a tubing bender to do my own exhaust than waste another $50-60 on another piece of scrap metal!!

breathe mike...breathe :) There's so many stories like these.....I've come up short on deals so many times it's stunted my growth..........up, not out! :) (had to say that before Bleach!!)

dito!!! I've scrapped a ton of stuff for just that reason!!! I'm easily several thousand in the hole from buying stuff that's complete crap. I hear an exhaust is all new pipe....I race over to find out that it's pieces hacked together and maybe 1/2 of it was new pipe....years ago.....but, he's hurtin' for cash, new baby...blah, blah.....he's a great guy, I enjoyed the heck out of chatting with him...I buy it anyway cause I've got some extra play money......I get it home and think.....WTF?! I'll be lucky to get any of my money back out of it and may just scrap it so I can feel like I won!....which is impossible, since the only way to win is to just build that dang stuff myself!!! I'd much rather spend $400 building a tubing bender to do my own exhaust than waste another $50-60 on another piece of scrap metal!!

breathe mike...breathe :) There's so many stories like these.....I've come up short on deals so many times it's stunted my growth..........up, not out! :) (had to say that before Bleach!!)

I have almost two complete swaps, sitting in the folks garage (L16/KA24de) and misc harnesses and ecus, one from a corolla laying around but most likely its gonna sit there till i need it, or until whenever. the extra buck or two isnt worth the headache

My question is why the heck are you making offers before you've asked your questions or verified it's what you want?

Thank you.....

This doesn't all apply to this situation but in general......

My own .02 as a seller is why is it always on the sellers shoulders? Some items have hundred of aspects that can be accounted for its not practical to list every little single tid bit about every little thing. Buyers need to be responsible, not just assume everything. It boggles my mind how people can bid and buy things without asking a whole ass load of questions. I have had people bid on cars and not ask a single thing or even to ask after paying. Common sense is becoming rarer by the day. People cant even buy shit properly anymore.

In my opinion its the buyers job to ask the questions important to them not the sellers to spend 7 hours to describe a item. Its the sellers job to be honest in answering those questions.

Edited by 72240z
Thank you.....

This doesn't all apply to this situation but in general......

My own .02 as a seller is why is it always on the sellers shoulders? Some items have hundred of aspects that can be accounted for its not practical to list every little single tid bit about every little thing. Buyers need to be responsible, not just assume everything. It boggles my mind how people can bid and buy things without asking a whole ass load of questions. I have had people bid on cars and not ask a single thing or even to ask after paying. Common sense is becoming rarer by the day. People cant even buy shit properly anymore.

In my opinion its the buyers job to ask the questions important to them not the sellers to spend 7 hours to describe a item. Its the sellers job to be honest in answering those questions.

I did ask the questions...and I did not make an offer....I jumped in the rig and drove across town to look at it. How hard would it be for the seller to give me accurate answers on a piece of friggin' exh pipe?! Had it been more accurate....I would have saved myself the time/effort/gas. I'm the idiot for trusting what I was told. An even bigger idiot for actually buying it!!

.....started a big ol' rant, but realized it was a waste of time to post to begin with since it's just a rant thread for guys to vent on...why waste more?