Short Water Pump??

72wagun

I'm wondering if there are any water pumps for the L motors that are shorter than my stock L16 pump. I would like to get maximum clearance for an electric fan setup, and new radiator.

Mine has no clutch, and some of the ones with clutches look like they might be a little shorter when the clutch is cut off, but I've never seen one in person. Any other options out there for a shorter pump?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the waterpump for the 280-z is short and does not have the fan clutch mounted on it, it also should have the cast iron impeller for smoother coolant flow (not the thin tin blades). Use autozone dot com and put in info for a Z and a 510 and check out the pics

the waterpump for the 280-z is short and does not have the fan clutch mounted on it, it also should have the cast iron impeller for smoother coolant flow (not the thin tin blades). Use autozone dot com and put in info for a Z and a 510 and check out the pics

Perfect! From the pictures on there it looks like they are definitely shorter. That's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Now I just need to figure out if the 280Z pulley will line up with my crank pulley. If not I could probably find a pulley that will work, or maybe switch to a Z crank pulley.

The Z pulley does not line up with the crank pulley on the 4 cylinder. You will need the Z crank pulley to make it work.

Here's my Z series water pump with the clutch cut off. I trimmed but did not remove all of the bearing. If I had a cutting disc I could trip it right back to the pulley. The Z series motors use a larger volume pump than the L 4 cylinders.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720stuffclutchfanremoval007Large.jpg[/img]"]720stuffclutchfanremoval007Large.jpg

Edited by datzenmike
The Z pulley does not line up with the crank pulley on the 4 cylinder. You will need the Z crank pulley to make it work.

Here's my Z series water pump with the clutch cut off. I trimmed but did not remove all of the bearing. If I had a cutting disc I could trip it right back to the pulley. The Z series motors use a larger volume pump than the L 4 cylinders.

Datzenmike,

Thanks for the info. I kind of figured that might be the case. I guess that would mean I'd need to adjust my alternator bracket too :rolleyes:. Oh well, might be a good excuse to upgrade my alternator (not that I need to):D