Help! My weber gets stuck!

motavated

Its been months that my webers linkage gets stuck! And its driving me crazy! I was looking for a used weber to build a good one out of the two but I cant find one. So here is the story.

Weber 32/36 electric choke. It idles at 850 and when i drive her for 10 minutes the primary gets stuck open and then it idles at 2000 rpm. It starts to jerk around and bog at high rpms and my MPG suffers greatly. I pull over and I press the linkage with my finger down. I have to force the linkage down, but once it sits. The pressure goes away and the linkage feels smooth again! I drive it for 10 more minutes and it gets stuck again... Over and over again I have to do this... F'n annoying... Can any one help?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That happened to me too! I added an extra return spring. Drilled a little hole in the top of the filter cover to hook one end of the spring and stretched the other end of the spring down to one of the little holes on the linkage lever.

Two things that i have seen cause this. First one is the nut on the end of the throttle shaft is over tightened. This causes the throttle plate to bind inside the bore. This why they come with the locking tab washer. I like to replace that locking tab washer with a nylock nut. 6 x 1.00mm IIRC.

Second thing that i have seen cause this same problem is the return spring mounted in a manner that doesnt allow it to pull the shaft all the way closed. Sometimes it will pull the throttle cable arm closed, but not the shaft because of problem number one above.

If the throttle cable cam(620) is tight to the shaft and doesnt wiggle a little, then the nut is overtightened. Finger tight on the nut is about all that you get and then you have to rely on the tab washer to hold it. Normal lockwasher will not work here and will cause you problems.

There is a better explanation of this problem at http://www.racetep.com IIRC

Two things that i have seen cause this. First one is the nut on the end of the throttle shaft is over tightened. This causes the throttle plate to bind inside the bore. This why they come with the locking tab washer. I like to replace that locking tab washer with a nylock nut. 6 x 1.00mm IIRC.

Second thing that i have seen cause this same problem is the return spring mounted in a manner that doesnt allow it to pull the shaft all the way closed. Sometimes it will pull the throttle cable arm closed, but not the shaft because of problem number one above.

If the throttle cable cam(620) is tight to the shaft and doesnt wiggle a little, then the nut is overtightened. Finger tight on the nut is about all that you get and then you have to rely on the tab washer to hold it. Normal lockwasher will not work here and will cause you problems.

There is a better explanation of this problem at http://www.racetep.com IIRC

Ohhh! I used a pressure washer and tightened it tight!.... Big no no? Thanks man your a life saver!

That's were I bought my weber new from. I was going to take it off and toss it at there business cus I was so frustraed! Ahhh.... I'm calming down already....

Edited by Motavated

Where are you guys getting your throttle return springs? From Jegs or Summit for V8's? Those things are BIG :eek: . I have a similar problem on my Hi-Tachi secondary. If I floor it, the secondary linkage stays high enough to raise the idle to about 1500 RPM. Since it's connected to the primary linkage in that when the primary is closed, the secondary should be closed, I thought another return spring might be a good thing to try to force it to snap all the way shut..

Not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to getting a little more info on the return spring suggestion :)

Did you fix it by proper tightening of the shaft nut?

Another thing that cuases it is a homemade rebuild. People love to totally disassemble the carb including remove that throttle plates. If you get the plates back on wrong, off center by just touch, they'll stick.