Drifter Garage

My local yard just sold the 620 that was in it to some young kid who plans to drift it..... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well anyway I found where he works and dropped by.... holy shit. :eek: The plan is to cut and mount 240sx front and rear struts and mounts and weld them into the 620. Looks like rear IRS LSD. Front torsion bars cut out and coil overs in. Motor is to be a CA18DET with FS5W71C tranny. He's looking for a CA bell for his tranny so this is where I come in. I have one I hung up as a wind chime so I donated it to the cause. His boss gave me a KA24E head for it and said he would work it out with him. !!!! Keeeuwl !!! He had a complete KA head that he bought for the cam, for a customer... didn't need the head so gave it to me for the CA bell that I didn't need... everyone happy. Oh yeah, it has the intake and throttle body on it. He says 'want it too? the fuel rail is here somewhere'. The shop owner's name is Rio as in de Janeiro and the 620 drift truck owner is Josh.

I don't need a KA head but I love taking shit apart to see how it works. On the way home I stopped at the local metal recyclers where I had hidden some KA 'crap' years before and retrieved a spare cam... $2.

You should see all the Datsun/Nissan shit there:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Datsun%20car%20trucks/datsunnissandrift001Large.jpg[/img]"]datsunnissandrift001Large.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Datsun%20car%20trucks/datsunnissandrift003Large.jpg[/img]"]datsunnissandrift003Large.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Datsun%20car%20trucks/datsunnissandrift002Large.jpg[/img]"]datsunnissandrift002Large.jpg

The upside down motor in the background is 400+ hp

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Datsun%20car%20trucks/datsunnissandrift005Large.jpg[/img]"]datsunnissandrift005Large.jpg

Here's the old 620. Its hammered but these guys seen to have their shit together. I'll definitely keep track of this build on the truck.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Datsun%20car%20trucks/datsunnissandrift004Large.jpg[/img]"]datsunnissandrift004Large.jpg

I saw several SR20s and an RB25DET? KA DEs, FS5R30A trannys, R-200 all over the shop floor. Like a wrecking yard but all Nissan. Most of the cars were right hand drive Skylines. One car was just being finished for a customer in Calgary.

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup I told him about ratsun. We're more late 80s and older, they were 90s and up.

The truck showed up last winter from a local who drove it in. I wanted some parts but the yard owner said I would have to buy all the parts separately instead of my usual cheap ass $100 offer for anything I want off it and leave the rest. Screw that! So when it went, I asked who would be crazy enough to buy it. Cracked dash, 4spd, cracked windshield... the fenders and doors were pretty good but a month in the yard and someone backed into the pass window and then a Ford van was squashed against the door and fucked up it and the fender... totally figures. Glad it's going to be used for something and I'll get some cool build pictures.

datsunnissandrift002Large.jpg

If you look in the pass fender well you can see that the strut mount has been cut out of the 240 he's working on. I don't know why he's going to IRS on the back for a drift/show truck but... w/e. Will definitely try to keep track of this.

Hey Jeff I got a KA head to fuck with....:D

I don't know why he's going to IRS on the back for a drift/show truck but... w/e.

Well if he is serious about the drifting irs is 100000x better suited.

Nice find I'm subscribing.

subscribed

This has a bearing on a convo we were having in another thread :-). Right or wrong I excited to see.

Well if he is serious about the drifting irs is 100000x better suited.

Nice find I'm subscribing.

This has a bearing on a convo we were having in another thread :-). Right or wrong I excited to see.

Would have thought solid would be better.. how come?

... and what up with 'subscribed'?

Would have thought solid would be better.. how come?

... and what up with 'subscribed'?

A solid rear is too non adjustable as is. Can it be done? sure I remember reading winston cup cars would flat out bend the axle to gain camber lol. Then they began snapping them at over 150mph so they stopped :-X.

IRS is just way easier and with the s30 irs there are some serious bolt ons that make its bullet proof and 100% adjustable on the fly. It's prob easier to kick out a active rear but drifting isn't just about loosing traction its controlling it and for that you need as much adjustment as possible, along with 1000 other things.

I had just woken up when I posted Idk why I bothered to announce it was subscribed when if I posted obviously it was lol. Cut me some slack Mike!!!! :lol:

Edited by 72240z

i said subscribed cause i wanted to get notifications when people post, i didnt have anything to say at the time an i was in a hurry so i jus put that so i wouldnt forget about this thread lol..

an ya i know 72240z thats funny shit eh i cant wait either :)

Was talking to him today about it. He (Josh) said it was easy to do...??? What do I know? It will end up with a 240 suspension, R-200 diff, FS5W71C tranny, CA18DET motor. Saw the motor in the shop. Never seen one before. It had twin cam covers but not like the SR20.

Picked up a nice KA24E head minus the cam to mess with. Got it for the CA 'bell' that he needed. Good deal.

Was talking to him today about it. He (Josh) said it was easy to do...??? What do I know? It will end up with a 240 suspension, R-200 diff, FS5W71C tranny, CA18DET motor. Saw the motor in the shop. Never seen one before. It had twin cam covers but not like the SR20.

Picked up a nice KA24E head minus the cam to mess with. Got it for the CA 'bell' that he needed. Good deal.

Easy to bolt on? Damn lol I guess anything is easy if you know how. Would be hard as hell for me. In all fairness though the whole rear s30 assembly is very simple.

What are you going to do with the ka head mike? bolt it onto a L/Z block? :-p

I love taking shit apart to see how it ticks. Maybe.... maybe see about a KA head on my Z24. I always thought it a stupid Idea but it would be a lot lighter than a KA. Would need KA pistons... A Z24i CAS... hmmm.

I think it's cool they are building a drift truck but I personally hate strut suspension. It's really IMO crap, yes it can work but I really like dual A arm design. I think moding the factory front suspension would have ended better.

Hey Jeff I got a KA head to fuck with....:D

Fit it in your truck with a big turbo :D I want to turbo my truck BAD!! can you imagine the BOV sound in a 4x4 :D

The CA18DET's are sweet little motors. They look more like a RB20DET with two cylinders chopped off instead of SR's. I actually like the CA's better then the SR's. They are nicer to work on, instead of using a timing chain they use a timing belt.

I've seen ppl get about 350ish at the wheels an still be a nice street driven car. Not sure about any HP numbers passed that.

Sr > Ca

Chain > Belt

Idk about all that.

The ca has some ups over the sr and the sr over the ca. I'd say its preference.

Timing chain vs belt is another preference thing, each is good and bad in dif ways.

No one of either is clearly better then the other.