73 transforming to 79 disc brakes

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So...I did make it to last tuesday's meeting and took a couple of pics. The problem with the original bracket was exactly what I thought it was. I won't go into a rant here for the good of the forum and because he's made new brackets that clear the fulcrum pin nut.....so it's a moot issue.

Dcp_7108a.jpg

The bending on the new brackets is definitely from the welding. I had the same issue when I made mine, but I straightened them before I shipped them. They are salvageable, but I'm not sure any of the tues nite guys have access to a press or a vise big enough to rebend the brackets.

the new brackets arent on the truck.. they were too bent to fit.. the rotor wouldnt move on one bracket and the other i couldnt bolt the caliper to.. so i still have the old ones on..

and thanks for commin an checkin that out mike.. i didnt notice that little contact point.. i hope it doesnt weakin the bracket...

to be honest... i think im just going to give up.. im sick and tired of tearing my truck apart to find out that the shit isnt going to work.. i may try finelines when i get enough money to buy the 300zx calipers.. but... i dunno.. those could end up bent also... and im not spending any more money on paper weights, so i really dont know what im going to do :(

Hey Lynch, I do have s suggestion if you really want a good set of front brakes go to a ball joint HB front end. I belive that I have Jasons #00001 set of tubular uppers and could not be happier with them. By far the best mod on my truck (better than the KA), plus I have the option for HB drop spindles if I choose to go that route.

The nick in the bracket shouldn't affect it in the short term. I wouldn't run them for years, but you should be fine for a few months. The load in a rotational direction...not a bending one.....so it's pulling on that tab, not twisting or bending it.

.....uummm....beebani made Finelines brackets. Fineline no longer offers them.

....mmm.....salty :)

im sick and tired of tearing my truck apart

WHAT :eek: I thought that is the best part about datto's :D the work is never done :D haha I know what you mean :D I like the drive vs. work on ratio more on the drive side :D So I should get about 10 years out of my 68 before I have to work on it.

my bad....last time I talked to him about brackets he told me he quit selling them.....maybe he just quit advertising them and this was somebody that contacted him directly. Maybe he is advertising them...I was going off the last thing I heard from him about them.

Just to play nice....I'm gonna bow out of this thread :)

I'm trying to play nice Mike, and not go off on one of my "rants" as you put it. Just stating the facts.

The point is; that I made a mistake at Josh's expense and I'm doing all I can to make it right for him or anyone else. I was in a hurry to get him the new brackets and didn't qc them as well as I should have. I'm not sure what happened that particular set because I made 2 sets right after that and they were perfect and didn't warp at all.

I've kept in contact with Josh, and hopefully he can make it down here on a tuesday/wednesday night and I can get him rollin/turning like he should be. I'm not trying to be lazy either by having him come here, there's nothing I can't do here as opposed to somebody's driveway or garage in vancouver.

We all make mistakes, and I never stated that my parts were a perfect cure-all. That's all I'm gonna say about the matter, all I need to say.

ok so its time for this thread to come to an end... thanks for everyones support and suggestions... beebani really wants to make this right.. so im going to let him... he could have simpley told me off .. but he didnt.. so anyways yeah this thread isnt going anywhere good any time soon i will figure something out..