73 transforming to 79 disc brakes

Im not a rocket scientist or anything but.... Cant the "dog bone" be flipped? Maybe somewhere along the line our buddy lynch's kingpin was rebuilt incorrectly? I know I've seen some really hokey rebuilds. Like 3 or 4 washers added or the pin is no longer the classy machined bolt its now a skateboard bolt :D This would move the everything in relationship to the 2 pivot points.... Just a thought...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is my first time posting about this whole subject and I have been here since the begining of this whole thing. I dont see anything wrong with joshs front end and the wheel offset combo isnt whats limiting steering travel. Not to bring mklotz in this but he witnessed the hitting of the brackets as well. Im not entirely sure why no one else is having problems with your old design but having to hog out on of the wholes to bolt on the caliper and the steering issues doesnt have me sold on your old design. Your new caliper brackets are much better designed but as Kiznook stated some quality control might be in order to keep these thing from warping all over the place. I put a straight edge and square over your newest brackets to find warpage of the ears where the caliper bolts onto. Heat as you know always affects the least supported area so, I think with some proper fixtures you will have a much better product than before. Your welds are really good aside from a few undercut areas on the ears the you welded tot he brackets but if you were in a rush it happens. Anyway, I am sure all this learning experience will allow for a product everyone on here will be proud to purchase someday. peace.

I'm biting my tongue because of what I'd really like to rant about, but it won't make anything better and it won't solve anything. The guys that talk to me personally will most likely hear more, but the rest of the forum doesn't need to. The fact the Jason is trying to make things right is reason enough to continue biting me tongue.

I will personally look at lynch's setup tomorrow at the tues meeting to see if the problem is what I think it is. ...hhmmm....since Jason doesn't want to drive up here to look at it, maybe I should charge a consulting fee of half the gas/time I'm saving him :)

I'll probably get home too late tomorrow night to post about it, so most likely wed morning.

Well i work with jason and have helped him fit up the brackets on the spindle he has in the shop and unless someones got a bunk caliper, i dunno how they could'nt fit, cause we tried a few different sets and the all were alike. I know for a fact jason would'nt have sent a set of brackets without a test fit. mind you, he's using brand new parts for mock up also, so their is a possibilty of junkyard parts being fubared. we checked for warpage on different sets and none were warped. In fact with the jig he has built for them it's impossible for them to warp unless they got damaged in the shipping process (which i doubt) or someone beat on them with a big fuckin hammer they should fit fine. just my 2 cents.

Well i work with jason and have helped him fit up the brackets on the spindle he has in the shop and unless someones got a bunk caliper, i dunno how they could'nt fit, cause we tried a few different sets and the all were alike. I know for a fact jason would'nt have sent a set of brackets without a test fit. mind you, he's using brand new parts for mock up also, so their is a possibilty of junkyard parts being fubared. we checked for warpage on different sets and none were warped. In fact with the jig he has built for them it's impossible for them to warp unless they got damaged in the shipping process (which i doubt) or someone beat on them with a big fuckin hammer they should fit fine. just my 2 cents.

the calipers came off the truck fine.. and they fit his origional bracket design fine.. when i took the Origional brackets before i had to oblong the hole i sat them on top of eachother and the holes did not line up.. the current set works fine as far as braking as i've stated it just hits some nut thing.. an that has nothing to do with calipers since its the bracket hitting... i was going to leave this thread alone an not responde to anything but i had to clear up your confusion

No whats impossible is the ears bending an 1/8th inch in shipping when you can clearly see it was warped by the amount of heat layed down for the weld. If your JIG is made properly yes this is impossible to happen but it did happen so I suggest you check the jig and make sure its not the problem. I am not sure how you can bend the casting of a brake caliper without breaking the ear off itself and those rotors look brand new. peace.

I've talked with two different professional welders and they both agreed that no matter how it was jigged, some warping will occur. The quality of the jig and how long it's allowed to cool in it will determine the amount of warp.....but there will be some. 1/8 sounds like about the same amount mine warped on the set I made for Alan in Denver.

Somebody should pic that up....that's cheaper than the yards around here will let it go for and it's already pulled! Anyone that reads the 20 page thread will know that both beebani and myself have made custom upper control arms that allow the use of the rest of it. Beebani might still make them and I might in the semi-near future.

2eDeYe;17780'']You need to pick up the hardbody stuff buddy ;)

With drop spindles and all new ball joints. My front end is so worn out. I've wore out the new tires I bought maybe 6 months ago :( I will have to post a pic of my camber :)

why dont ya come down an help hino ;) lol

If I ever get my car done I will have to at least come down to the Tuesday event :D I can take a look at your rig... But it turns out that I have to do everything twice to get it right :D