camera mount

Figured I'd give this it's own thread rather than add a huge post to the machine work thread.

I've been wanting to take more vids of the lathe work, but the tripod won't get in at a decent angle. So, I got a wild hair and started looking around for some scrap to make a mount with.

Started with some scrap. Too lazy to uncover the mill at this point, so I used the drill press. Drill bit just wandered, so I used a center drill to get the hole started.

100_4208.jpg

100_4220.jpg

100_4221.jpg

Kinda took the pics in reverse order here, but I drill the end so I could tap it with an 6mmx1.00 tap. I've got tons of metric laying around. Notice the chips from taping have been pushed through the piece. These taps only work with "through holes". It's a two fluted gun tap, or spiral point tap. I don't care if I've only got two holes to tap...I buy this type of tap. It's HSS, not the brittle stuff the common ones are made of.

100_4222.jpg

100_4223.jpg

100_4225.jpg

This piece didn't show in the scrap cause I didn't know I needed it then. I figured this out as I went :) Anyway....the blue thing with the level is a pretty cool little tool for getting the cutting tool at the center of your piece. I hadn't used this holder yet, so it wasn't set. I adjusted the holder height until it was level(the lathe is level within .1 degrees) and locked the holder nut.

100_4226.jpg

100_4228.jpg

100_4229.jpg

I realized after I did all this tapering that it just wasn't necessary :(

100_4230.jpg

100_4231.jpg

I needed the center piece to end in the middle of the mounting piece somewhere, but it wasn't too critical as to where.

100_4231.jpg

100_4233.jpg

Opened up a hole in the mounting block, milled down some of the excess. Starting to come together.

100_4234.jpg

100_4236.jpg

100_4242.jpg

100_4244.jpg

I needed a way to tighten it without tools...so I made an "L" bolt. The lock nut can be adjusted so that I only need a quarter turn where ever the arm is at to tighten it up. Hit it with the glass beads to clean it up a bit. I drilled a couple of holes in the base and mounted it under the shelf above the lathe.

100_4245.jpg

100_4247.jpg

100_4250.jpg

Self portrait, so to speak :) And a pic from it's new vantage point.

100_4254.jpg

100_4256.jpg

Cheated and used the cell phone camera to take these :)

0524091855-00.jpg

0524091856-01.jpg

0524091908-01.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I wanted to try it out. I only had a small chunk of delrin left.....so I made a bushing just simply to try out the camera mount. It shoots the pics and the vids upside down, but it's pretty easy to turn them over on the computer :)

th_100_4258.jpg

th_100_4259.jpg

th_100_4260.jpg