Datsun 620 questions

Hi, I am new to the 620 scene and would appreciate your feedback. Here are a few questions I have..

1) Will a 280Z transmission bolt on to the stock 620 engine?

2) What other tranny options do I have that are direct bolt on?

3) Will a nap z 20e be a bolt on optiion?

4) What other engine options do I have that are direct bolt on?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts..

Thanks..

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 280Z 5-speed will bolt up.There MIGHT be some drive shaft tweaking to do,but nothing major.Make sure that you use the throw-out bearing collar that matches the clutch itself and NOT the vehicle.

hey Thanks..

What kind of tweaking are we talking about with regard to the drive shaft?

Also, will I be able to mount a later model engine to the 280z tranny? for example the z20e engine?

You MIGHT have to shorten it.MIGHT.SOmeone who has done this swap in th epast 10 years should remember.THe last time i did it it was 97ish.But come to think of it,i put a Z 5-speed in a 85 720 and everything was a bolt in.No futzin' around.

The Z five speed will bolt to the Z-20,22,24 motor but will be "clocked" wrong.The shifter will have about a 10 degree tilt.(the Z motors sit straight up in the bay.The "L" motors lean to the passenger side.)

This has been covered here about a million times. The 280Z/ZX transmission swap is one of the most common ways to get a 5-speed in a 620.

But it depends on what year 620. They aren't the same; ~74-79 use a transmission that is basically the same as the Z/ZX. '72-73 (and very early 74s) do not, they use a transmission basically the same as a 510, which is shorter.

For a 72-73, you need to use the front driveshaft from the later trucks to use the Z/ZX (or even a later truck) transmission. The later trucks, it's a drop in once you swap the 620 rubber mount onto the Z/ZX transmission.

For a Z20, you'd need mounts and you basically have to use a 81-86 720 or 80-82 200SX transmission, as it has the proper orientation for the NAPS-Z engine.

Using the L-transmission on a NAPS-Z engine or vice versa, they'll bolt up, but it's not just the shifter that will be clocked wrong. There will also be a 11-degree "Wedge" difference at the rear mount, which puts a ton of stress on the mount as the transmission mount and motor mounts fight each other due to the difference.

Hi, I am new to the 620 scene and would appreciate your feedback. Here are a few questions I have..

1) Will a 280Z transmission bolt on to the stock 620 engine?

Yes, a perfect fit. All '77-'83 280z and zx non turbo FS5W71B 5spds. will bolt up without mods.

2) What other tranny options do I have that are direct bolt on?

If you mean bolt on without mods, the FS5W71B from the '79-84 810/Maxima sedan or wagon, gas or diesel will also work. Also the FS5W71B from the '80 720 2wd truck as long as you measure the length and it is 31.5". Forget the 4X4 it won't have a speedometer drive in it.

If you mean bolt in and don't mind lengthening/shortening the drive shaft, relocating the shifter hole and/or modifying the rear mount and possibly the tranny tunnel, there are three I can think of.

First would be an optional 5spd used on an early 240/260 Z car using an L bell on a Roadster tranny. Included would be a miss-mass of competition Nismo 5spd boxes with and without over drive. They all would be as rare as rocking horse shit to find and parts for them are made of un-obtainium and are expen$ive to say the least. they are about the same length but are flange output I think.

Next would be the B/W T-5 called the FS5R90A I believe. This thing is huge and may require tunnel mods as well as drive shaft flange and length changes.

Last would be the '77-'79 FS5W63A dogleg from a 200sx. Mods to the tranny mount, shifter and lengthening the driveshaft would be needed.

3) Will a nap z 20e be a bolt on optiion?

It will bolt on, BUT it's intended use, as Bill stated, is for an engine (Z series) that sits more vertical than the L series. In fact there is about 12 degrees difference in tilt. Bolting a Z20E 5spd to an L motor will rotate the body of the tranny 12 degrees to the right and press the shifter up against the passenger seat and place the 5th/rev gears in the passenger's left knee. I have never seen it done but see no problem with bending the shifter 12 degrees to the left and opening the right side of the shifter hole for clearance and making it work. Rotating to the right will raise the oil filler hole so the tranny will be slightly overfilled but should be ok. The tranny mount will also need a small wedge to shim the mount to fit the tilt.

4) What other engine options do I have that are direct bolt on?

Direct bolt into a 620 would be the L16 and L18 from a truck. I assume you have an L20B in there now. Any L16/18/L20B engine will work as long as you use the truck oil pan. (and maybe the m/mounts)

I'd really appreciate your thoughts..

Thanks..

Edited by datzenmike