Surge L320 progress

SurgeL320

Im using this as my thread keep a record on my truck . I purchased it a few weeks ago and im currently trying to make it road ready . Its a 63 L320 with a L18/ 4speed .

DSC05851.jpg

The interior needs some work but should be an easy fun project

DSC05845.jpg

Theres about 1/4 inch space between the firewall . The motor is FUGLY

DSC05849.jpg

Im considering installing a better L18 with a 5 speed, if you guys know of any please let me know . this needs a rebuild as it sat for 10 yrs

Ive already broken a few bolts

DSC05860.jpg

I just want it to be a a reliable daily driver . As of now its overheating (bigger radiator?) , The wheels are (still) locked, no pressure at all in the clutch arm , top end job, passenger window, wiring is all over the place , hidious engine bay. I didnt want a project but i think this is worth it . ITS A DATSUN:lol:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much bigger is the L18 than the original 1200

Wow , i didnt really pay attention but it looks like they had to cut the firewall to install the L18:confused:

Also , my tranny has no pressure on the clutch arm . None, nothing. what does that mean :confused: would the original tranny bolt up to a L motor

Who does good affordable rebuilds in socal

How much bigger is the L18 than the original 1200

Wow , i didnt really pay attention but it looks like they had to cut the firewall to install the L18:confused:

Also , my tranny has no pressure on the clutch arm . None, nothing. what does that mean :confused: would the original tranny bolt up to a L motor

Who does good affordable rebuilds in socal

No pressure at the clutch pedal?

Maybe air in the system?

Bleed and keep an eye on the fluid level.

I rebuilt the master cylinder but i removed the the clutch slave and noticed the clutch arm had no pressure. I can move it back and forth but it makes a click where its supposed to engage but doesnt. The slave cylinder only pushes it forward right, and the pressure of the clutch is supposed to push it back. Thats where im have problems.

Atleast you got a L engine instead of the E1 like I have. The wiring looks pretty bad. Body looks pretty solid. I would also like to know if the L series engine bolts right up to the stock tranny of the 320's.

Edited by Labanon
Atleast you got a L engine instead of the E1 like I have. The wiring looks pretty bad. Body looks pretty solid. I would also like to know if the L series engine bolts right up to the stock tranny of the 320's.

No it does not. I am sure an adapter could be made, but a better choice would be to replace engine and trans together. No telling what the guy who did the swap did when he installed it.

PM Beebani or Mklotz. They both sell a disc brake conversion kit [brackets]. That way you keep the stock axle.

Im working on that already , i have all parts except brackets. but my question was since my rearend is seized why not upgrade diff too. I just dont know to what if i should . Something that will fly beter on the freeway

• 2 weeks later...

So I completely stripped the interior in about 20 min . This is the progress so far , whoever did the custom work did alot of good things and plenty of bad things . I think they just got anxious and threw it together at the end

DSC05858.jpg

Seats out carpet out with the smelly hay crap , original?

DSC05985.jpg

And BAM this is what i find . Big freaking tranny for the cab!

DSC05992.jpg

Floor cut not reinforced, firewall cut to shit, and homemade fiberglass hump . this is where they began to "just get it going" i guess and made temporary fixes

DSC05989.jpg

I also removed the heater box but i still gotta clean it up more

DSC05994.jpg

Now i have space to bolt up brake/electrical lines and help clear the firewall

DSC05995.jpg

Im working on door panels . im gonna make some wood ones , also wood kick panels and wood floor trim and tailgate. Im kinda going for the socal surf truck look. I think that style flows well with this truck

I threw on a stearing wheel from an old chevy that i hadnt used in years , i was happy with the look but it wasnt complete. Notice the bolt still showing

DSC06002.jpg

So i made some "upgrades" I took a coke can

DSC06004.jpg

Measured, mocked it up , cut it .....

DSC06005.jpg

DSC06016.jpg

And there it is ... My upgrade for a nickle with the syrup still in the rim:D

• 1 month later...

I bought a motor/tranny combo from Benjamin here on ratsun. Im in the last step of the motor rebuild. Its a L20b with .5 over pistons and 30over on rod bearings. The head is a 210 with over size valves 42mm and 35mm . Port and polished. I knew nothing about the work so its nice to figure that out. Anyway , liked how the engine turned out so i wanted to show it off :D

This is how i got it . It ran good but burned oil (supposedly)

066.jpg

Took it apart

078.jpg

head valves

080.jpg

087.jpg

This is the final mock up , just need to reclean , install rings and bearings

093.jpg

095.jpg

098.jpg

094.jpg

Lookin SWANK man! I am liking this idea of surf vibe wood trim. Love that motor! I am hoping to tackle my l-18 next month.

Thanks fish means alot coming from an *artist* :lol: . I get the parts tommorrow . should be put together and running by the weekend. Its a L20b not the L18 that it came with.

I didnt think anyone was looking at this thread. Ill keep putting my work in

Edited by SurgeL320

I gave away my L18 as i promised to whomever helped me pull it . Novita from here on ratsun drove with his buddy and in a few hours and couple cheeseburgers and mosquito bites later we manage to make it happen.

005.jpg

This is how jacked up my engine bay is now. gotta redo all brane lines, clutch line, fuel line, electrical and strip repaint to match my motor . gotta make new center hump and fire wall too . Dammit

007.jpg

I usually just do whatever the hell feels right with a car but im thinking of installing a ragtop on it but im stuck between customizing or restoring it

I really want to and i think it will look bitchin' but the thought of tearing up a classic makes it difficult

Just wondering what your guys' thoughts are on that?

Yeah, looking real good there Sergio!

Glad you are happy with the deal. Had a great time with you guys pulling the motor & tranny. I'm still dragging on my KA install, it's been so freakin' hot these days, even here in Oceanside.

I must say, that coke can horn button is the cheapest yet most innovative mod I think I've ever seen ! People here and on hybridz never cease to amaze me with their ingenuity.

Edited by BenJammin
  • 8 months later...

Update on the 320>

Installed a 2 fold ragtop. I took it off a 76 cvcc sport but it was too big and i had to cut it down . It bolted on nice . slides ok , locks perfect, even has a wind deflector . i paid $25 for it

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

I also did a Right hand swap I was talking about. The colum is bolted to the chasis but i still need to finish welding the dash and swap pedals. This was a interesting project , not for the weak. Everything lined up on the colum end

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

And just tonight droped the engine and tranny in . I can already see some problems i got to work out but overall it bolted on good. Im having clearance issues with the alternator and the firewall.

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

oh , and i also installed front disc brakes with beebanis brackets. bolted right on! i still have to find rear calipers to fit but i think it will stop fine with only the front , they are 11 inch rotors/ dual pot pistons afterall . will post those pics later