Tail Gate Panels ????

volksmike

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those were on the '79 trucks. Not just kingcabs, but all models. It finally took Nissan/Datsun 7 years to figure out that trucks needed them to protect from internal tailgate damage.

I purchase every one that I can find. I was lucky enough to find one in good enough shape to have chromed, which will be on one of My projects eventually. What I have been doing is taking them all to APC in Las Vegas where they are streightened (flattened) properly and then pwwder coated on both sides. They have done four of them so far and actually have 3 right now. The finish that they do is two toned with silver and black. I believe that it is called "hammer finish". You see it a lot lately on chairs and stuff. It is somewhat like looking at beach sand with black intermixed with the silver. Durable and looks good too.

Your liner just needs some detailing. It is straighter then some I have started with!!

Mike, the bowl shape is just from age and wear. You should see how bad the one on my '78 is. Just do what i did, take it off and put it on a cement floor bed side down and jump on it a few times. Helps alot.

Has anyone just put a sheet of flat metal across the tailgate? This is my plan before I put Herculiner in there. I will just screw it to the tailgate. I'm just not sure what guage sheeting I should use. I'll have someone cut it to size for me.

I've even thought about using stainless steel.

Has anyone just put a sheet of flat metal across the tailgate? This is my plan before I put Herculiner in there. I will just screw it to the tailgate. I'm just not sure what guage sheeting I should use. I'll have someone cut it to size for me.

I've even thought about using stainless steel.

i have a piece of 1/8 inch plate on mine

tailgate1.jpg

tailgate2.jpg

I wonder if a really thick piece of Lexan would hold up. See-Thru would be kind of cool :D

I just want to be able to roll my motorcycle in.

If you find a front diamond plate bed protecter off of a full size truck in a yard, grab it. They can be cut down easy. A POS skill saw with a decent blade works, set the depth shallow and make a couple passes till its through. They are light and you can polish them up easy on the smooth side...Bling bling...

Use hearing protection and a dust mask, aluminum dust is some nasty shit... Alzheimers disease and more.

If you scout recycling places sometimes you can buy them buy the pound, or a little over what they are paying for scrap. Ive been looking for a couple sheets that are big enough to do the bed sides, mines got the little dents all the way down at the seam...:mad:

I am going to have a body shop completly cut out the bottom of my bed which is getting so rusty at this point I can make holes in it just about anywhere.

I am going to have them replace it all with new sheet metal and weld it in.

I am hoping to get this done this month coming up.

I will take some before and fter pics when I do it.