Correct motor mounts?

spottedog

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be the correct motor mounts to use on a Z24 block in a 1980 720 pickup that originally had a L20-B engine in it? :confused:

This is a 4 wheel drive if it makes a difference.

First, use Z24 motor mounts to position the motor. You will also need a Z series transmission in order to use the Z24 engine.

Second, all 4X4 oil pans are offset to the side to clear the R-180 front differential. All Z motor equipped 4X4s had the differential offset to the driver's side of center line, and the oil pan is deepened and offset to the right side for clearance.

The '80 4X4 had the distinction of having the differential offset to the passenger side and the L20B oil pan offset to the left for clearance.

So, a Z24 oil pan, 2 or 4wd, will not clear the the '80 4X4 differential position.

What I would do is install the L20B 4X4 oil pan and pick-up on the Z-24 motor. Because of the 12 degree tilt difference between the two motors the pan won't sit quite level BUT it should clear the differential.

Here is my L20B oil pan for '80 4X4. This is the position it should sit in IF it was bolted to an L20B motor. When bolted to a Z motor the top where the gasket would be will sit more level and the bottom part will be tilted. The bottom reservoir could also be dinged with a hammer if needed.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720stuffL20Boilpan4X4001Large.jpg[/img]"]720stuffL20Boilpan4X4001Large.jpg

Edited by datzenmike
First, use Z24 motor mounts to position the motor. You will also need a Z series transmission in order to use the Z24 engine.

Second, all 4X4 oil pans are offset to the side to clear the R-180 front differential. All Z motor equipped 4X4s had the differential offset to the driver's side of center line, and the oil pan is deepened and offset to the right side for clearance.

The '80 4X4 had the distinction of having the differential offset to the passenger side and the L20B oil pan offset to the left for clearance.

So, a Z24 oil pan, 2 or 4wd, will not clear the the '80 4X4 differential position.

What I would do is install the L20B 4X4 oil pan and pick-up on the Z-24 motor. Because of the 12 degree tilt difference between the two motors the pan won't sit quite level BUT it should clear the differential.

Here is my L20B oil pan for '80 4X4. This is the position it should sit in IF it was bolted to an L20B motor. When bolted to a Z motor the top where the gasket would be will sit more level and the bottom part will be tilted. The bottom reservoir could also be dinged with a hammer if needed.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/720stuffL20Boilpan4X4001Large.jpg[/img]"]720stuffL20Boilpan4X4001Large.jpg

So I would order Z24 mounts to replace the L20B mounts that need replacing? Are there Z24 "4WD mounts" or are they all the same?

The pan and transmission clocked position are in order.

Edited by spottedog

The rubber 'sandwich' (motor mount) for the L20B might work for the Z motor.

There are a left and right bracket that bolt to the rubber and also to the Z engine block to position it properly. These will be much different to the L series ones. Z24 side brackets and rubber mounts are the same for 2 and 4 wd. This is not true of other 720 motors.

The rubber 'sandwich' (motor mount) for the L20B might work for the Z motor.

There are a left and right bracket that bolt to the rubber and also to the Z engine block to position it properly. These will be much different to the L series ones.

if the L brackets are used on the Z block(which they are in my case) does that affect/correct the angle (of the dangle)?

maybe thats why its a :cursing: to install???

• 11 years later...