Anyone done a CA Swap???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't think it's worth it. Cost of parts go up because the aftermarket demand isn't as high as the SR motor. Sure the initial cost is lower, but it's a motor that isn't well-documented like a KA or SR, power output is on the low side... I just think it's the bandwagon approach to going turbo.

However, if you're going to do it, do it right and make me eat my words!

i would definitly do a ca swap my buddies coupe had a fully tuned setup an it pulled way harder then an sr. arts are a little more scaress. but well worth the power. i recommend doin a ka24et. bigger motor way more torque. i saw a 200 ka with a t25 slide way harder than any sr or ca. but i wouldnt buy that kids motor.

Aren't sr's alum block/head 2.0 I4? How can iron block, alum head 1.6 I4 CA be lighter? Honest question....

That's the same thing I thought! Until I lifted a CA block into the trunk of my dime. When they are all stripped down they are tinny.

If it were me I would do it. 650 is cheap, doing your own installation can also be cheap. In theory you could have it installed well for around the price of an SR from a reputable shop.

That's the same thing I thought! Until I lifted a CA block into the trunk of my dime. When they are all stripped down they are tinny. QUOTE]

agree with icehouse they are tiny. an i know the one your talking about an i wouldnt get it.

That's the same thing I thought! Until I lifted a CA block into the trunk of my dime. When they are all stripped down they are tinny. QUOTE]

agree with icehouse they are tiny. an i know the one your talking about an i wouldnt get it.

Thanks good looking out

That's the same thing I thought! Until I lifted a CA block into the trunk of my dime. When they are all stripped down they are tinny.

If it were me I would do it. 650 is cheap, doing your own installation can also be cheap. In theory you could have it installed well for around the price of an SR from a reputable shop.

That's reasonable I guess its the large/thick casting method aforementioned.

I always wondered why no one bragged about sr's being light in the list of reasons to use one in a swap. Guess that's the reason? They aren't really that light.....

CA's are nice motors, you'll struggle to make the same amount of power as a sr due to capacity and the heads don't flow quite as much. But you'll be able to make more than enough to have a lot of fun in a 510

Not sure that this is the main reason they make less power. I think the more obvious answer staring us in the face is the 20% lower displacement:eek:

CA's don't have rocker arms... cam on buckets----> best setup for high rpm (less moving parts)

This is one of my favorite things about this motor!!! I don't know why they don't do it on more motors.

650!!!!???!!!??? I'd do it in a heart beat. At that price I get the swap kit from Maddat.

Oh yeah and parts are not diffcult to get...from what I've heard. There are Nissan dealers in the US that stock JDM parts, or can order them in. I think Superior Nissan is one of them. I think they're down in Texas if I remember correctly.

Edited by heirfaus

hehe you both read my post wrong I said they dont make as much power because of CAPACITY (like you said 20% less) AND there heads don't flow quite as much. Also meant the QR's have no rockers arms the same as CA. Cam on bucket. But it did kind of read the other way :lol:

But yeah as everyone has said they are pretty good motors just getting a bit thin on the ground. Quite a good motor choice for a datsun in my opinion.

When my mate rebuilt his motor he had trouble finding a head that hadn't gone soft. The machine shop was hardness testing them before doing the work and he tried about three before he found one. I'm not sure what the cause of it was. Maybe overheating? Something to keep in mind if you ever rebuild I guess

Spun rod bearing and blown turbo and everyone is still advising to buy lol. Parts availability and price was brought up like how many times? Ya rebuild it, no prob.

ca isn't worth that trouble even at 400, rebuild and turbo more then doubles that, plus time. That's a whole lot of better things you could do instead.....

Spun rod bearing: Perverse law of the universe.... it's ALWAYS worse than you want it to be. Expect the following...

Crank is fucked so it has to come out at the least, to be milled or replaced.

Rod is fucked so head has to come off to get it out for replacement.

Piston has hit the head due to excessive rod clearance... it's fucked too.

Oil pump is fucked. Sucked up all the bearing/crank particles and ground the shit out of it.

Then there's the POS turbo!

Offer him $200 less? You can fix this for $200?? Turn around and start running.