Anyone done a CA Swap???

Have a chance to pick up a full swap ca18det for 650 was going to go sr but at that price its got me thinking??? the only thing i might need help with is the wiring if anyone has done it let me know

Edited by sssr20det510
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the one that is basically a 4 cylinder RB motor, right? Someone on here was either doing a swap, or toying with the idea. Saw burnt CA18DET in a 240sx here in a Phoenix JY not long ago, didn't look like anything was worth saving though. Rare motor.

Have a chance to pick up a full swap ca18det for 650 was going to go sr but at that price its got me thinking??? the only thing i might need help with is the wiring if anyone has done it let me know

the wiring is just the same as the KA almost.

If you are going to get the CA, I have some nice parts that i am going to be selling

Pauter rods, JE pistons, and a cometic headgasket. Brand new in boxes (i changed directions and I am not going to use the CA anymore) I have everything to put a complete lowerend together.

Ryan

do eeeeeeeeeeeet, the sr20det is a nice engine and all, but getting pretty common (and expensive). ca18det or fj20(d?)et would be the engines that intruige me the most. I went KA for simplicity sake, but if a ca18det or FJ would have been available at the time, Im most positive Id have jumped on either.

edit, I assumed you googled. but then again who knows :D

http://www.turbophile.com/technical/conversion_costs.html

found this for you ca18det into 510 info. gl!

Edited by ichorid
the wiring is just the same as the KA almost.

If you are going to get the CA, I have some nice parts that i am going to be selling

Pauter rods, JE pistons, and a cometic headgasket. Brand new in boxes (i changed directions and I am not going to use the CA anymore) I have everything to put a complete lowerend together.

Ryan

let me know how much

i'm in the middle of this swap right now. check it out

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=9939

the wiring is the easiest thing you will have to do. the hardest will be getting a new manifold made becuase the stock ca manifold puts the turbo right where the steering box is. i'm currently waiting for my manifold to arrive to finish my swap.

i'm in the middle of this swap right now. check it out

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=9939

the wiring is the easiest thing you will have to do. the hardest will be getting a new manifold made becuase the stock ca manifold puts the turbo right where the steering box is. i'm currently waiting for my manifold to arrive to finish my swap.

It comes with an after market manifold dont know if it will clear the steering box or not

This is a FWD CA16DE: A lot smaller and lighter than a SR20

Aren't sr's alum block/head 2.0 I4? How can iron block, alum head 1.6 I4 CA be lighter? Honest question....

couldnt find the ca16de but it should be less than the ca18det

CA18ET_ - 118 kg 260 lbs

CA18DET - 128 kg 282 lbs

SR20DE -- 139 kg 306 lbs

SR20DET - 149 kg 328 lbs

FJ20ET_ - 166 kg 366 lbs

KA24DE_ - 167 kg 368 lbs

sr's blocks are just sand cast. They are not pressure die cast like newer nissan models with aluminium blocks. What that means is because of the potential for core shift they have to have extra material thickness in the block which adds to the weight add to that the increase in physical size and it adds up. CA's are nice motors, you'll struggle to make the same amount of power as a sr due to capacity and the heads don't flow quite as much. But you'll be able to make more than enough to have a lot of fun in a 510 (a mate made 172kw @ the wheels from a stock ca with FMIC, 12psi, GTiR turbo on stock manifold and sr20 TB port matched to stock ca intake manifold and an ECU retune, thats not to shabby it fair moved the 1600 along anyway). They are nice revvy motors. For $650 its a steal you'd be silly not to get it.

A motor I would love to do (which i'm not sure whether you USA boys get) is the QR20de. Its the next evolution after the SR and basically takes the best parts of the CA and combines them with the SR. Nice Over square motors with a awesome r/s ratio, no rocker arms like the ca, ladder sump etc etc (they also have none of the reliability problems of the qr25de)

Maybe one day........