I'm really bummed...

g-mam

When I drove the '74 home the other day, I stolled and filled with fuel.

Today I see it dripping from under the truck. I might have to tell my aunt I won't be taking it. I can't afford to fix it right now, if there even is a fix.

The good news is, I cleaned that bed out, and OMG, it's in awesome shape. I was expecting holes in the floor. The tailgate has a few dings and small rust spots, but it's nice too.

I may have to offer this up for sale for my Aunt.

Any cheap fixes for a new fuel tank?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen guys fix small holes in a gas tank with epoxy putty. But I think that's a temporary fix. When my tank leaked I took it out, cleaned it real good over many days with boiling water and soap, then had it brazed.

How hard is the tank removal? Unfortunately I do not have a lift. I can get it up on jack stands though. The problem is the tank is FULL now. I might have to find a way to siphon it out.

on your older truck the tank is bolted to the bed rails, should be no more tah 4 bolts and a couple hoses, u can do it with jack stands, and yes get all the gas out first, much easier to move around.:D

If you can, wear goggles or safety glasses when you take it out - I got so much sh*t in my eyes doing it... Also make sure the car is jacked high enough that the tank can slide out

Edited by zed
on your older truck the tank is bolted to the bed rails, should be no more tah 4 bolts and a couple hoses, u can do it with jack stands, and yes get all the gas out first, much easier to move around.:D

How is the filler neck in there?

There is a filler tube thats screwed into the filler port by two screws you will see on both sides of your gas cap. the tube is connected to a rubber tube that is connected to another metal tube on the gas tank. Before you even attempt to start unscrewing and unbolting anything you might wanna spray a bunch of WD40 or Penetrator on everything so you don't break any bolts or strip out any screw heads. There should also be a bolt on the bottom of the gas tank so you can drain the gas. Its a slow process, but it will drain easier. make sure you have a big enough bucket.

She's full, so I am going to try to siphon first. I have a large fuel can used to fuel my sportbike when at the racetrack. I will try to get as much as possible with the siphoning first. Will try to get a 4-5' hose for this.

I see a big bolt on the bottom. I assume this is the drain.

I swapped the gas tank in my 240z when I switched over to EFI and its defiantly alot easier if its empty, just make sure you have enough containers for the fuel. goggles and a few cans of PB blaster are great too, spray the bolts down good and let them soak for a day or two.even go out an spray them a few times a day.

I just siphoned about 1/2 the tank off. I'll see if it stops leaking.

I just had someone in TX email me they had a tank in good condition for $100 + shipping from TX. The fuel guage works, so I'm wondering if the tank being sold has all the goodies to hook it back up.

I noticed some oil under it today also, but it looks like it's blowing by the valve cover gasket.

I was wrong. This morning there is another puddle of fuel under her. I will drain her down further.

The funny thing is, when I picked it up, she had fuel in her. It was on Empty, but enough to drive it to the station 3 miles away.t should have been empty as long as it was sitting.

If I can find a cheap tank, I really want to salvage this.

Does anyone know if those are the side mirrors that came on it?

Link to all photos:

http://www.gwfweb.com/datsun

dat_202.jpg

Edited by g-mam

You might want to pull the tank and check it before you buy another one. It might be a hose that is leaking or just a small hole. I have used POR 15 gas tank sealer on old V Dub tanks that had small holes at the bottom. That stuff is great, it seals the tank and fills in small holes. The size for motorcycles is perfect. Put some tape on the outside over the hole, when sealer dries, no more hole... EVER.

This is the stuff, but not the only place you can get it...

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Por-15-U-S-Standard-Fuel-Tank-Sealer-Pint.aspx

You can get it off e-bay too.

You might want to pull the tank and check it before you buy another one. It might be a hose that is leaking or just a small hole. I have used POR 15 gas tank sealer on old V Dub tanks that had small holes at the bottom. That stuff is great, it seals the tank and fills in small holes. The size for motorcycles is perfect. Put some tape on the outside over the hole, when sealer dries, no more hole... EVER.

This is the stuff, but not the only place you can get it...

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Por-15-U-S-Standard-Fuel-Tank-Sealer-Pint.aspx

You can get it off e-bay too.

Thanks, I might try that.

I'm still nervous on removing the tank. Afraid I will do more damage than good :-)

Mine was easy to swap once it was off the ground but i had similar issues with my tank and even after it was out me and my buddy can't find where the leak was but everytime i filled up i was watching my money ruin my asphalt...seen a few fixed but i d rather have a non leaker for a tank. putty is temporary and even then you still gotta find where its coming from....

por 15 not a bad option i used it and sold it on a couple of motorcycle tanks make sure you let it dry for a week or so for best results....oh and dont get it on you it dont come off.....

havent used thet ank sealer but i have used POR-15 on other things. and no id doesn't come off. takes usually abotu 3-4 WEEKS to wear off.