thro out bearing qustioun

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be sure there is no air in the hydraulic system first.

The bell or the tranny is irrelevant. The release bearing housing or sleeve is matched to the clutch and pressure plate diameter size. This is the diameter of the disc and/or the contact surface on the flywheel only. Measure yours to be sure. All Z24s used a 240mm clutch. The part number for it is 30510-K0401. (about $20) This is also the number for some of the 280 z/zx cars that also used this clutch size.

Hey, I stuck a 5 speed tranny on a 1600 motor. When I tried to install the clutch slave cylinder, after opening the bleeder valve all the way, i couldn't get the slave cylinder on. I didn't change anything out as far as the throw out leve or bearing and the lever don't have any play at all to beable to put the slave cylinder on.

as far as the throw out leve or bearing and the lever don't have any play at all to beable to put the slave cylinder on.

I have the opposite problem :confused: too much play and it doesnt engage the throwout bearing at all. Im gonna drop the tranny in the morning to see whats up :blink:

Hey, I stuck a 5 speed tranny on a 1600 motor. When I tried to install the clutch slave cylinder, after opening the bleeder valve all the way, i couldn't get the slave cylinder on. I didn't change anything out as far as the throw out leve or bearing and the lever don't have any play at all to beable to put the slave cylinder on.

I have the opposite problem :confused: too much play and it doesnt engage the throwout bearing at all. Im gonna drop the tranny in the morning to see whats up :blink:

In both cases the throw out or release bearing housings must match the clutch size on the motor. The housings are of different lengths to reflect the different pressure plate heights. A taller PP needs a shorter housing: a shorter PP needs a taller housing.

With the 5spd on a 1600, the 1600 release bearing and housing should be used.

As long as you are using the L16 throwout and sleeve it should work.

Hey mike , in my situation with the completely loose clutch fork the only way this can happen is if someone installed it wrong in the first place right? I mean the throwout doesnt just fall out or jam up does it ? If i replace the throwout bearing will it fix my problem . I just wann see this thing rolling

Have someone work the clutch while you watch the clutch slave. It should move the full range of the clutch lever on the tranny. Make sure of this first before pulling the tranny as you may simply have air in the hydraulic system or a non functional master.

Have someone work the clutch while you watch the clutch slave. It should move the full range of the clutch lever on the tranny. Make sure of this first before pulling the tranny as you may simply have air in the hydraulic system or a non functional master.

Genius!:D I vise-gripped the clutch fork and was able to pull it back, sucker was hard to move back . It WAS my slave cylinder afterall. I cleaned and put in a decent piston and seal. 1step closer to getting it running:lol:

Genius!:D I vise-gripped the clutch fork and was able to pull it back, sucker was hard to move back . It WAS my slave cylinder afterall. I cleaned and put in a decent piston and seal. 1step closer to getting it running:lol:

I can pull the clutch fork back with channel locks, but its so tight moving it that even if in some way I was able to get the slave cylinder on, and if it pushed it back, i think that truck would take off so fast it would give you whip lash.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob

I'm using a 240sx clutch kit on my KA24de w/Z24 bell and ZX 5 spd. I noticed after pressing the KA bearing onto the ZX sleeve, that the front lip of the sleeve stuck out of the front of the bearing pretty good when fully seated. The ZX bearing is also a bit slimmer than the KA one when measured with the calipers.They look very different too. My question is, should I use the sleeve and bearing that match the clutch, or will I be okay to use the ZX sleeve with a ZX bearing on a KA clutch? Does it HAVE to match for it all to work? Thinking yes, but need some confirmation. Mike?? :lol: Thanks

see now i dont see how this all has to work? when i swapped the 5 speed in my truck i used a z24 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. then i iused the same TO bearing that was with the 5 speed when it was on the L20b that i got the trans from. so z24 clutch and PP and L20b TO bearing. it works just fine.