How I'm going to stop my dime

slodat

I'm pretty sure I'm going to run this setup front and rear. I think I'll go with the 12.2" front and rear. Yes, vented rotor 4 piston rears too!

This will stop the car properly, not have the unsprung weight the stock boat anchor shit I have now does, will last for years and will fill the 15" wheels nicely.

A little spendy, but in the end, better than a damn car payment!

http://www.arizonazcar.com/510brakes.html

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok.. So I've been emailing with Juan (the man who makes the JSK parts) about his parts. This looks like the way to go. The front setup includes the custom machined rotor hat and the caliper bracket. He also has a matching rear hat for a 12.19" x .81" vented rotor. The only thing left to fabricate is the caliper bracket - which shouldn't be that difficult.

The cost for the front hats & brackets and the rear hats is $498. Brakes components are about $440/axle.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Ray! Which setup is that? ArizonaZcar?

I found out today that my rear Wilwood calipers came in. All I have to do is buy pads and I'll have Wilwood 2 pistons on the rear.

What brackets are you using? I have zx brackets for those calipers, they are for the front. I will sell them to you. :D

What brackets are you using? I have zx brackets for those calipers, they are for the front. I will sell them to you. :D

I'm using Aaron Suchy's (EDP) rear Wilwood brackets and 11.5" Z31 rotors on the rear. I already had the brackets, so the whole thing only cost me about $300 for the Wilwood rears calipers, Brembo rotors and Porterfield R4S pads.

yeah those are the arizona z car setup. I sent the rear a arm to him so he could make the rears. Can you believe there was nobody that would send him a rear a arm!?!

I wanted to run his rear setup, but like I said above, the 2 piston setup was dirt cheap. I can't believe no one would send a trailing arm. I would have given him one!

• 2 months later...

I finally decided on what I'm going to run for the front. I'm using the JSK hats to mount Wilwood 12.19" x 1.25" curved vane directional rotors with 4 piston forged calipers. I'm using Wilwood pads all around. I didn't really like the Porterfields. I think it is because I didn't heat them up enough driving on the street for them to really work well.

I am going to change from the Wilwoods I am running on the fronts to the Brembo's that Mario at TSR offers front and rear. Not cheap but the best. He has upgraded the brakes on Todd Kaneko's Orange Turbo Rotary 510 from Wilwoods to Brembos as well and that car is a rocketship running in the Time-A-Tek series. In the first session with the Wilwoods the brakes faded, Wilwood was there and had them change the pads with no improvements. With the Brembos the car went 5 sessions with no fade and the lap times improved by 2 seconds per lap. Not only that but the Brembos have seals on the pistons which is nice for the street. Below is a picture of Mario's car with Brembos front and rear.

Seth

IMG_9703.jpg

Seth, how much are Mario's Brembo brakes?

There is some good info on Wilwood's at http://www.arizonazcar.com/brakekitfaqs.html.

As an aside, my car is a street driver only. Doubtful it will ever be raced, and I doubt my Wilwoods will ever fade on the street.

I do appreciate the info though. I think the Brembos are sexy but I'm guessing they are $2k-2500 for the front and probably $2k for the rear. That's a lot of cheddar for my Ratsun!

Dude you need 18's to show off those brakes :D

I actually like the look of the stuffed 15" wheels.

Couple of comparison shots of the 280ZX rotors and the Wilwoods.

05-15-07_2121.jpg

05-15-07_2122.jpg

Installed the brakes on one side of the car.

05-15-07_2104.jpg

05-15-07_2118.jpg