no spark

so i've come to the conclusion that i think the cas is bad.. there is no spark commin from the dizzy.. we believe we ran out of gas in the purple 280zx turbo while tinkering with it.. put gas back in an it wouldnt start.. i had started it atleast 10 times that day no problem.. its gettin fuel, skib an i removed the return line on the firewall side of the fuel rail an put the key in the on position, it ofcourse squirted gas into the can.. so we got fuel.. i checked the coil an even changed it out for the one in my truck but still nothing.. i dont know how to check the ignitor thing but it is puttin out power to a test light.. i dont have a damn ohm / volt meter yet so the test light is my best friend lol.. anyway so today i went out there.. cleaned the ecu plugs an prongs on the ecu with some electro cleaner crap and a brush an got them clean, i even unplugged/replugged them 10 times like i read on some other site last night an still nothing.. so then i unplugged the ignition switch an hot wired it still nothing... so the only thing i can think of is the CAS... anyone else got an opinion on the subject?

oh ya an the plugs an wires an cap an rotor are relitively new, now i know they can be bad from the store but usualy thats right away an not a few months later lol..

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know. Try the coil wire.. (long shot) if it's working then the rotor or cap may be bad?

With key on, ground the coil negative terminal it should spark when you release the ground wire. Is there power to the positive terminal of the coil with the ignition on? If not jumper 12 volts to it and it should start.

So he question is ... what does running out of fuel do that affects the ignition?

i have no idea, it might not even of ran out of gas.. it was low.. an when we went to pull her back into her parkin spot from the yard she died.. started back up pulled farward a fet feet an putterd an died... assumed was out of gas..

i did try my coil wire from my truck an that didnt help either, an ya theres power on the + side of coil, not sure how much i dont have a ohm / volt meter.. altho i might beable to make one with the one thats in my truck i dont have hooked up.. i only use the oil pres an engine temp ones lol.. i guess the dizzy cap an rotor could be bad but i kinda doubt it.. i did clean the contacts inside cap an on rotor tho.. an theres no cracks on cap.. so idk wtf is up.. i wish we didnt sell that other fuckin l28et setup.. what were we thinking..

Its much easier to diagnose with a multimeter. Not trying to be cpt obvious just saying. With a manual and a multimeter you could have the prob locked down in a short time, instead of guessing.

The old school ways to check the most common things are cool I rely on them myself but with FI you need a multimeter. Just mho.

Its much easier to diagnose with a multimeter. Not trying to be cpt obvious just saying. With a manual and a multimeter you could have the prob locked down in a short time, instead of guessing.

The old school ways to check the most common things are cool I rely on them myself but with FI you need a multimeter. Just mho.

ya no arguements there man.. i need to just buy one an stop bein a pussy..

an mike, no the 82-83 models have an internal type dealymabob type thing

ya no arguements there man.. i need to just buy one an stop bein a pussy..

an mike, no the 82-83 models have an internal type dealymabob type thing

Ya, you can get one pretty cheap. Then you can test the cas :-) and ignitor. I would guess ignitor reading everything so far.

Best of luck in any event, I have the FSM and all data if you need any of the test specs.

i need to hit harbor freight for a tap kit.. i think this is the one im gettin, it has the sizes i need..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39391

you think this multimeter will work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90899

Skib, does the internal CAS dizzy look like a matchbox style dizzy on the outside, but has an extra wiring output on it? What years were they used?

not 100% sure, I have an 81 turbo motor that has the CAS mounted externally. the 82-83 turbos have the internal CAS in the dizzy

heres a diagram of the dizzy I found.

280zxt_v3_igbt_wiring.jpg

That multimeter will get the job done.

The 83 I picked up on sat was internal cas.

It's true if the cas is completely broke it in most cases wont fire but I never seen a cas completely break like that, just go bad in some way and cause related problems.

not 100% sure, I have an 81 turbo motor that has the CAS mounted externally. the 82-83 turbos have the internal CAS in the dizzy

heres a diagram of the dizzy I found.

280zxt_v3_igbt_wiring.jpg

The CAS should be inside the dizzy. It's a photocell that 'reads' a wheel with 360 marks plus a few others so it can determine where TDC #1 is on it. All the info goes to the ECU which works out the timing. The dizzy may not have a module in it that fires the coil, my diagram does not show it, the 'module' may be built into the ECU?

I do have an L24E dizzy that looks like the regular matchbox but there are two plugs on the module, an extra one being on the right side. I can only guess that the ECU can vary the timing advance using this module. Anyway here's a picture of it:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Nissan%20Electrical/DatsunEI003Large-1-1.jpg[/img]"]DatsunEI003Large-1-1.jpg

Do you have a test light? Hook the test light to ground and touch the negative side of ignition coil. Now crank motor if light blinks there is a problem in the secondary, if light does not blink then problem is in your primary. Now you are almost there dude. You will need volt/ohm meter to diagnose problem in the primary. Good luck

• 1 month later...

ok so i got a wild hair up my ass today an fucked with barney, she had power to coil but no spark from dizzy, i had a 300zx turbo dizzy i got from nismopu so i could do the z31 ecu upgrade.. any how me an boomstickracing (alan) got to thinkin hmmm i wonder if the CAS is bad.. like i had origionaly thought.. so we took the dizzy off the l28et and took the cas out, hey look the z31 cas fits right in.. oh but no threads for bolts... so i tap some threads in that bitch, get some bolts from part store, we slap everything back together an she fuckin fired right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOORAY BARNEYS ALIVE MOTHA TRUCKAS

thanks man, im pretty happy.. we were totaly wingin it.. im sure there maybe some info out there somewhere stating doing what we did is possible.. however i couldnt fit it.. but now we know...

so i got some brand new gaskets for her thanks to skibby and some new injectors an shit thanks to nismopu so HOPEFULLY i'll have her goin better by blue lake so she can come...

one thing i notice that concerns me is a thumping in the shifter/floorboard.. its like a thump thump thump, it doesnt doit much out of gear, but while drivin it gets worse the more u press the gas pedal.. an when u shift sound it goes away a little, but then the more u press the gas pedal the more it makes the sound, u can left off or press clutch in or put it in N an it goes away.. so i got another wild goose to chase...

I don't think that's much of a wild goose chase since it only does it in gear and more the higher the rpm. Drive line rotating assembly, maybe the input or output shaft bearing in the tranny(The T5 is known for early wear on the input/output shaft bearings), driveshaft, maybe even something in the bell slapping around, something out of balance etc....

I bet you'll nail it down.