74 620

godoy

Well, hi to everyone, ive been reading this forum for a while and a couple of days ago i thought bout doin thread bout my truck, but bad luck to me, i went out for a ride with my girl, and the truck start overheating, i was nowhere near water so i had to pull over, and it never started again :(

its currently running a L18 engine 4 speed tranny,

im 18 and have own the truck since i was 14,

ill post pics later i have to leave now.

Just a question,, im bout to buy a L16 for 75, the guy says that the engine ran when he took it out of his 510.

Its that a good price?..

and will it bolt rigth in?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tanks man, ill probably do the head gasket.. thinks are going ugly with all the money..

Some one in SanDiego that know a good body shop? the rust its trying to get away with my truck ,im from Tijuana.. and i had some bad xperiences with tijuana bodyshops :mad:

Damn seems hard to do.. actually i havent done nothing like that but i dont mind to do it by myself..

is there any post that says how to do it and what do i need to do it?

Did my L16 in my 521 in 1 hr and 45 min!!! No shit. Had to change it like three times in a week because I didn't know about warped heads. All the bolts were clean and just recently tightened. Took head off with intake/carb and exhaust left on it. 521s were pretty plain. Practice makes perfect.

Change head gasket on an L engine:

Drain coolant at least half way.

Separate exhaust to down pipe.

Set engine at TDC... important! GET IT RIGHT! Put transmission in neutral and block wheels also IMPORTANT, remove air filter, unhook throttle cable, any air pump hoses at air pump. (if equipped) vacuum line to brake booster, PCV hose at intake, idle cut and choke heater wires, vacuum line to distributor, top rad hose at head, vacuum line to charcoal canister, unplug spark plug wires at plugs and move out of way, unhook temperature gauge wire at thermostat housing, disconnect fuel line at pump inlet, remove battery ground cable, remove top heater hose from back of head, unhook water return hose from intake manifold where it joins the lower rad hose, remove valve cover, slip socket extension through cam sprocket to lock it and loosen cam sprocket nut... don't remove yet!, check you're still at TDC (and adjust) and drive wooden VEE wedge down between timing chain and chain guides to lock it in place. * (see end of paragraph for details) This will prevent the chain tensioner from falling out... if you don't know, find out or you will be doing twice the work to fix this mistake, mark the timing chain and cam sprocket so you can assemble in same relationship, remove cam sprocket, loosen and remove 10mm Allen head bolts starting with the front two, then the back two and alternating front and back and working toward the middle, keep track of where they go for reassembly, remove the two 10mm head bolts at front of head that screw into the timing cover.

* make a wedge from a piece of soft wood about 3/4" thick tapering from 1 3/4" down to 1 1/4" by 6 1/2" long

This should have the majority of things disconnected so that you can remove the head AND the intake and exhaust manifolds as a unit. Grasp the fuel pump and intake and rock from side to side and the head should easily break loose. Get help and lift the head with manifolds up and off. Avoid turning the carb upside down if possible to prevent stirring up sediment. If worried about this you can remove the carb before hand. Find the two alignment rings or dowels either in the head or block, clean and re-install when ready to assemble. Locate the blown area of the gasket and inspect it.

Tilt head just enough to wire brush or use an angle grinder with wire wheel. Use care, the aluminum is soft. Get it as smooth and clean as possible. If this had blown between cylinders or you had driven it high into the hot range with lots of steam I would say check the head for warps. Thoroughly clean the head bolt threads and wipe with an oily rag. Inspect the blown gasket area, there should be no indication of it on the clean surface.

Fill the middle two cylinders with rags to collect the dirt and wire wheel the block surface. Again, as clean as you possibly can. You can't over clean these two surfaces. Clean out head bolt holes thoroughly IMPORTANT! Inspect the blown gasket area, there should be no indication of it on the clean surface.

Install new gasket on block dowels. Lift head onto block and finger tighten the two rows of head bolts. Make sure that the cam has not been rotated while the head was off. The aligning dowel pin at the front should be at 12 o'clock and the first two lobes set at 10 and 2 o'clock.

Use a torque wrench and begin tightening in the middle and working outwards to front and back like below:

RAD

7...8 P

3...4 L

1...2 U

5...6 G

9..10 S

Use this sequence and tighten to 20 ft lbs. Start at the beginning and in the same sequence torque to 40 ft lbs. Finally in the same sequence torque to a final 60 ft lbs. A few lbs either way is not as important as the sequence that is used.

Match cam sprocket mark to timing chain mark and install onto cam alignment dowel, don't forget fuel pump eccentric. Tighten and remove wooden wedge. The rest is more or less the reverse of disassembly. After a dozen full warm ups and cool downs, check the head bolt torque with engine cold. You might want to warm engine and set the valve lash while the valve cover is off too.

I had the gasket blow on my '78 L20B for no reason I could see other than 300,000 km. It blew out water above the #3 spark plug but was also blowing steam out the exhaust. $23 for the gasket and $2 for gear clamps I didn't use. A very good, very cheap and easy fix.

Edited by datzenmike
Did my L16 in my 521 in 1 hr and 45 min!!! No shit. Had to change it like three times in a week because I didn't know about warped heads. All the bolts were clean and just recently tightened. Took head off with intake/carb and exhaust left on it. 521s were pretty plain. Practice makes perfect.

...and I will vouch for the accuracy and usefulness of DatzenMike's fix the headgasket post :thumbup:

I just did this a few months ago, and was sort of like you; It seemed really tough when just looking at it. Honestly, it is NOT that tough with DatzenMike's instructions and Hainz's video (search for a link to the video, and search for "headgasket" and take a look at my threads from a few months ago for pretty much all you need to know).

The tough part is the absolute tediousness of scraping the old gasket off. Other than that, if you get the timing chain tool from Checker (or use the wood block) and TAKE YOUR TIME and pay attention to detail, you should be able to pull it off. My truck was spewing coolant out of the block/head sandwich a few months ago and now it is running great with no leaks whatsoever, newly smogged and tagged. I'm glad I did it, and owe the success so far to this board.

Yeah, leaving the intake and exhaust on would definately cut down on the time factor if thats all you had to do. I had to the head off my 521 i had back in 92 and I undid everything while it was on the motor. cam was broke in half, head was warped. I was still a datsun greenhorn then so after I did all the work and put the truck back together and couldn't get it running, I traded it to my dad for a 67 chevy caprice two door coupe hard top. Gawds that was a fun car.

anyway the guy that bought the truck got it running and drove it off.

I still even had the head bolt tool up until some one stole my tool box a month ago from that job.

looks like i may having to be changing a head gasket on the rat rod soon anyway, so this will definately help this time around.

• 3 weeks later...

well.. ill took it from where i left it.

i finally got the truck running.. so im happy for that..

its 4 am.. so im gonna sleep.. gonna post pics tomorrow..

well finally able to take some shots!

IMG_0101.jpg

all 4 wheels are the same

IMG_0102.jpg

interior

IMG_0103.jpg

tailgate..

IMG_0104.jpg

i wasnt able to take good pictures beacuase i didnt have the key of the car behind, ill post some more tomorrow .. let me know what ya think.