1976 Silvia S10

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how are they illegal ? they keep the driver from coming out .

Because they are not DOT approved. That is the very definition of "legal". ;)

No DOT stamp, not legal for street use. You and I both know they work better than the stock belts, but they are not legal to use on the street.

However, I use mine all the time. But if you are looking for 100% legal, that ain't it, son. :D

I have been told that Schroth harness's are DOT approved because they fold and sew about a 2 inch section of belt that is designed to rip the stitching and extend the shoulder strap that is to the center of the car. Was told that it is supposed to make your body force go towards the door instead of colliding heads with the passenger. No other harness manufacturer does this and gets the DOT approval.

Did that make any sense?

Jason

i'm guessing the only issue that prevents them from being dot is maybe the fire test.

No, it's because as yello620 said, none of the harness manufacturers pay for the DOT testing. There's really no need when race harnesses aren't intended for street use anyway. ;)

Except Schroth, and that may only be the 2" wide 'street' harness, not the 3".

why would duals(webers etc) be illegal? if it passes ca smog, it shouldnt be an issue...

SU's were factory equip for some motors.

i just had my 2dr VIN inspected and the officer commented on the nice motor w/dual 45's, "is it stock?" :D no, thats why the engine #s dont match.

i passed.

didnt say anything about the harness either.

:rolleyes: must be too many ricers in s.central

why would duals(webers etc) be illegal? if it passes ca smog, it shouldnt be an issue...

That's a question for someone at a CA referee station, but if they aren't OE, technically they aren't legal. It falls under the heading of modifying the factory emissions. Hell, I've had overzealous inspection guys try to fail me for a Weber 32/36.

SU's were factory equip for some motors.

Yeah, but these are not SU's. ;)

i just had my 2dr VIN inspected and the officer commented on the nice motor w/dual 45's, "is it stock?" :D no, thats why the engine #s dont match.

i passed.

didnt say anything about the harness either.

Good for you. He just wanted to know what was legal by the letter of the law, that's all I told him about. He might get lucky, he might not. And being 17 in a RHD car is enough of a reason for me to want to have all my ducks in a row legally speaking. That's a recipe for getting pulled over often.

:rolleyes: must be too many ricers in s.central

Must be... :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 11 months later...