710's unite!!!!!!!!

Guest jaimesix

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All PL510s have 26" long automatics. The 710 uses 31.5" long 3N71Bs. Yes it will bolt up to the engine but the 710 driveshaft will be too short for it. A 710 4 speed driveshaft would work.

In addition... it will only successfully properly bolt up to the '74 which has the L18 with 5 bolt crankshaft flexplate. All other years are 6 bolt L20Bs. Still the driveshaft will be too short. 

The car body has three mounting bolt holes on each side for the rear crass member. The cross member has only two bolts per side. By sliding forward it can be used for the shorter four speed, slide it back and the longer 31.5" automatic will bolt up. The 610 automatic and four speeds are both 31.5" long so likely only two bolt holes needed. I don't know if the 710 and 610 use the same crossmember..  maybe.

datzenmike - I suspected something like this with different tranny lengths. Now I know for sure. Interesting idea with the multiple mounting holes for the cross member. I never would have guessed that one. Probably wouldn't have figured it out even if I was under a 710 and saw the holes.

And it never occurred to me the 510 torque convertor wouldn't bolt up to either 5 or 6 bolt flex plates. Lots of new things to learn about 710s!

Since you have both goon and 4-door 710s, what do you think about the front doors interchanging? Does it look like it will work, or are the wagon doors taller like the 510 ones, or something else weird?

Len

So, all the questions about whether the front 4 door doors could replace the wagon front doors got me to thinking that I should actually measure them. The actual door sizes (of the ones that I have) are identical. I picked two points of reference on each of the doors to measure between and they are the same. So......I would conclude that they will interchange based on the dimensions. But......I would say that the body lines may not line up very well (they didn't in my case). The top of the door and the bottom of the door might line up nicely but the lines would not. Or, the body lines would line up and the top of the door frame would be higher or lower than the top of the door frame on the rear door.

I think that it's worth trying, especially if the wagon door is in rough shape, and more importantly it would save a wagon and we can't save enough of those.

Bentaxlebob - Way cool 710 4-door (as us old guys say). It is hard to believe the one I saw at Pull n Save could look like this - after months of work and many $1000s. It took my a long time to get Google Translate to work for that site. I finally saw the the word Indonesia in the very last line on the page and Translate seemed to like that.

opalbeetle - Thanks for additional thought on the door question. If I get the goon and snare the doors off the P&S 4-door I can give it a try. I need to look more closely at those doors as far as rust. I just glanced at them since I didn't have a rig to haul them in that day. I'm planning to get back there Saturday if the cold I'm coming down with doesn't get a lot worse. Somebody had already snagged the hood off that 710, so they may have come back and picked it clean.

Len

Recently got the 710 bug again and need the community's help on finding another 73 2door 710

Might be interested in a 74. If anyone knows of any deals I'd appreciate any help. I'd post of pics of my 1st 710 but unfortunately it was the days of film cameras and I never owned a camera back then haha but it was original orange all stock except it had a truck motor.

I live in Japan now but I can always have my brothers send it to me here. I see them for sale here in the auctions but it'll be cheaper to bring one in.

My brothers live in Vegas and can drive or fly to get the car.

If not I can always bring in a nice datsun truck or old school corolla and sell it for big money then buy a 710 (violet) to keep. I prefer to have a LHD though.

What Micro said.  This place is it.  710s are not really that common (at least not around where I live).  The 510 is way more common here in the rust belt which tells you something about how common the 710 is.  

Most importantly, it doesn't take too long to get an answer here!  

Lol ok thanks for the info. I did find a couple other groups that I can fish for a 710. I know it's rare I had the only one in Hawaii and it was original down to the hubcaps. Was too poor of a kid to get it out of the impound when it was towed for not being registered. It was the worst week ever. I really don't give a shit about grammar either :D

With that said I'm still hunting for a 710. Thanks

Lol ok thanks for the info. I did find a couple other groups that I can fish for a 710. I know it's rare I had the only one in Hawaii and it was original down to the hubcaps. Was too poor of a kid to get it out of the impound when it was towed for not being registered. It was the worst week ever. I really don't give a shit about grammar either :D

With that said I'm still hunting for a 710. Thanks

Datsun deserves a respect capitol. I don't care about other d words.

Damm I just got off the phone with the importer and I need a 73 or I'll be paying up the your know what for testing emissions and crap. So I guess it'll be a longer search for a 73 710. Until then I guess I'll bring in a different old school car to flip because I'm sure I'm gonna get raped on a price for a 73 that I might have to just buy here in the "mother land"