710's unite!!!!!!!!

Guest jaimesix

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

160J is the designator for all the 710s except the hardtop the hardtop is the only one with the 160U designator

Actually it seems like the 160U was available as a 4-door sedan and a 2-door hardtop - I think "160U" is just what they called the 710/Violet/140J/160J in South Africa. They ended up with some pretty unique Datsuns down there (like the 160Z and 140Z L-series B-210s!)

_40_zps18f7ef0c.jpg

Don't the S110 mags look great?? I have them on both my 710s.

Those are not S110 mag's on that car, those are aftermarket wheels.

Abe is right. They are aftermarket wheels that are crazy popular in South Africa. Seen them on tons of Datsuns down there...    :thumbup:

They do look a lot like S110 wheels, but are deeper dish. And I've only seen them in 13x7 (like the ones on that car), not 14x5.5 (like the S110 wheels).    ;)

Looks like Canadian sedan taillights. I wonder what is different.

I don't think they were used in the Americas - we only seemed to get the early style that look like this:... even after the sedan got its notchback restyling.

$(KGrHqIOKo8E7EEU4oV7BRgBjPTuHw~~60_57.J

Will,

I saw those late JDM 710 tail light's on Ebay and thought how cool those would be in that heavy patina burgundy 4 door, and if you scroll down you can get the center Violet garnish to match.

Yeahhhhh. It would look pretty sweet. They really fit the back of the car nicely - I think most countries didn't get them for cost-cutting reasons - they have a bit more chrome trim than the early tail lights.

The color looks almost black in that picture!

I think your side marker lamp has the lens on backwards - the shape is almost symmetrical, but the front end is just a bit more pointy.

• Like 1

(lol) yeah I saw that as soon as I got it back from the paint. I'm afraid the lens has left a small impression in the paint and it I correct it, it will show so I left it. But thanks for pointing that flaw our will! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's Chrysler Black Cherry and in the shade it's almost black. In direct sunlight is almost burgandy/maroon with pearly redish purple highlights. That make any sense?

(lol) yeah I saw that as soon as I got it back from the paint. I'm afraid the lens has left a small impression in the paint and it I correct it, it will show so I left it. But thanks for pointing that flaw our will! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's Chrysler Black Cherry and in the shade it's almost black. In direct sunlight is almost burgandy/maroon with pearly redish purple highlights. That make any sense?

Some folks on this site are good at diagnosing mechanical problems that help keep Datsuns on the road, and others are good at noticing tiny trim details that have nothing to do with a car's primary function. ....unfortunately, I'm in the latter category.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

710 noob questions here. I've done a bit of searching and can't find answers. Will front or rear doors from a '76 4-door 710 fit a '77 710 goon? From looking at pics, the rear doors look different at the back of the windows so I suppose they don't interchange (but maybe?). Are the front goon doors taller than those on a 4-door, like a 510 is?

Will a 610 radiator fit into a 710 without extensive mods? I'm inching toward getting a 710 goon that may need a radiator and found a decent looking 610 one today.

Finally, will the auto tranny from a '72 510 bolt into a '77 710 wagon, or are they different lengths? You may have guessed the 710 I'm chasing is a bit of a project. More fun that way. I've never bought a running Datsun yet.

Len

Len, from what I understand about the 710, the rear doors from a sedan will not interchange with a wagon. Much like a 610, you will be looking for the same model/body to get the doors you need.

Yes, a 610 radiator should right into a 710 without extensive mods. Just to be sure to get one with the automatic stubs (if so equipped)

Yes, as long as both transmissions are Jatco 3N71B's, the '72 510 automatic will fit into a '77 710 wagon. The cross members at the back *may* be different, but should be the same between a 610 and a 710. I may have an extra 610 rear crossmember, if needed.

Thanks for the information, Not what I hoped to hear regarding the doors, but what I suspected, at least for the rear ones. Next time I get to the wrecking yard I'll take a close look at the condition of the the front ones. Might pick them up on the off hand chance they would fit a goon (or are you saying the fronts are different too between a 710 4-dr and goon?).

Good news on the radiator though. Actually there is a radiator in the 710 I saw yesterday but didn't look as good inside as the one in the 610. Unfortunately the two are at different yards so it isn't so easy to compare them.

I may not need a tranny if I get this goon, but nice to know my old 510 one will fit if needed. Although it has been sitting for years if that makes a difference. Both the 610 and 710 I looked at yesterday had autos, but bad trannys could be why the cars ended up junked. If I can't ever get my wife to drive this goon, I may ditch the auto and put in a 5-speed. Are 710 clutch and brake pedals the same as 610 ones? I know I've got a set for a 610 around here somewhere.

Len

Hi Len. The front doors from a 4 door are really close to the wagon doors. I have one that I tried fitting in my wagon and it is still there. The body lines of the door that I have don't match up perfectly with the wagon rear doors. I'm not sure if that is because of the doors being different, or because they just aren't very perfect from the factory. I can send you some pictures if you like. (The site I use to host photos is not up and running currently). It turns out that I ended up fixing the wagon door and will be using it so the lines match up. (I have a couple of pictures in my build thread on page 3 I think. They are just the bottom of the doors. 1976 wagoon (710) is the title).

Thaw back doors will definitely not fit. The window frame is very different between the two models.

If you would like me to send a picture, let me know.

Todd

Todd - Thanks so much for the additional information. I just went over and read all of your build thread. It makes me happy I'm a mediocre welder so I'm not tempted to take on something as overwhelming as what you've done with your 710! Luckily for me a guy I work with is a body man who has come back to the family farm and loves Datsuns. We can usually work out some trade work for parts or something. I don't think the goon I'm after is as rusty as your car, but then I haven't seen it yet ( and the whole thing may not work out, but if not I'll keep looking for a 710).

Thanks for offering to send pics, but the ones on your thread give me a good idea. I think I'll go ahead and grab the front doors off that 710 4-door. Maybe usable for pieces even if they don't fit well directly. 710s seldom show up at the wrecking yards here. When this one is crushed there may not be any more 710 bits for a long time. Now I'm hoping for a rainy day so I can get back there this week.

I'm looking forward to more updates on your build thread, although I suppose summer keeps you busy with other things. If I wasn't so cheap I would hire someone to do my lawn mowing and yard work so I'd have more time for cars.

A bonus in your build thread was Mike's vid of making the caliper brackets. I bought another milling machine a couple of weeks ago. I'm slightly better at machining than welding although pretty much an amateur at that too. But enjoy it.

Len

Yes, as long as both transmissions are Jatco 3N71B's, the '72 510 automatic will fit into a '77 710 wagon. The cross members at the back *may* be different, but should be the same between a 610 and a 710. I may have an extra 610 rear crossmember, if needed.

All PL510s have 26" long automatics. The 710 uses 31.5" long 3N71Bs. Yes it will bolt up to the engine but the 710 driveshaft will be too short for it. A 710 4 speed driveshaft would work.

In addition... it will only successfully properly bolt up to the '74 which has the L18 with 5 bolt crankshaft flexplate. All other years are 6 bolt L20Bs. Still the driveshaft will be too short. 

The car body has three mounting bolt holes on each side for the rear crass member. The cross member has only two bolts per side. By sliding forward it can be used for the shorter four speed, slide it back and the longer 31.5" automatic will bolt up. The 610 automatic and four speeds are both 31.5" long so likely only two bolt holes needed. I don't know if the 710 and 610 use the same crossmember..  maybe.