• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, and you too jas-ifras! Looks like you could use some new blood here. With luck I will be the owner of a 4 dr. 710 this weekend. I'll get a more complete history when I pick it up and drive it home. Yup it runs, a few pieces off it but all accounted for. I do have a question though that I can't seem to find the answer to. It's engine tag says JHL710, well here it is:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Datsun%20car%20trucks/GRAHEMBLASCO013Large.jpg[/img]"]GRAHEMBLASCO013Large.jpg

What does the J stand for? K is for Hardtop, blank is sedan, I can't find any reference to 'J'.

H is usually for L20B but the '74 has an L18.

L is always Left hand drive

Hi guys, and you too jas-ifras! Looks like you could use some new blood here. With luck I will be the owner of a 4 dr. 710 this weekend. I'll get a more complete history when I pick it up and drive it home. Yup it runs, a few pieces off it but all accounted for. I do have a question though that I can't seem to find the answer to. It's engine tag says JHL710, well here it is:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Datsun%20car%20trucks/GRAHEMBLASCO013Large.jpg[/img]"]GRAHEMBLASCO013Large.jpg

What does the J stand for? K is for Hardtop, blank is sedan, I can't find any reference to 'J'.

If it were a coupe, there are two different body styles, one more of a two-door sedan, and one more of a sport coupe. But yours is a sedan... Its such an early number, I don't know...:confused:

Edited by zerow
  • 3 weeks later...

J stands for rigid rear axle.

My 4dr, for example, is JPL710 -> J=rigid rear axle, P=L16 engine, L=left hand drive and 710=body style.

If H stands for L18, are the L20B powered models marked with G ?

J = solid axle... ?

Here its K = hardtop, (blank) is sedan and W is wagon before the HL710.

FWIW... the solid axle is an H-165-B

P is L16 for sure

The '74 620 and 610 with L18 is also called HL620 and HL610, so maybe H is anything above L16???

J = solid axle... ?

Here its K = hardtop, (blank) is sedan and W is wagon before the HL710.

FWIW... the solid axle is an H-165-B

P is L16 for sure

The '74 620 and 610 with L18 is also called HL620 and HL610, so maybe H is anything above L16???

mike i hate to do it but thats not entirly correct the early 610s and 710s (73-74) came with l18s and the vins start with a p like my 610s vin starts with pl610 and its a 73

You're right! I checked and the 610 to July '73 with L18s were PL610s.

My info shows the 710 as HL710 with all L18 motors.

In the 620s L16 were used till '73 and L18 to '74 and were both labeled PL620. L20Bs were the first HL620s

Go figure.

mike i hate to do it but thats not entirly correct the early 610s and 710s (73-74) came with l18s and the vins start with a p like my 610s vin starts with pl610 and its a 73

Straight from the FSM for 1973: (ex. K P L 610 U W A T)

Prefix:

K = Hardtop, W = Wagon, _ = Sedan

P = Equipped with L18 Engine

L610U = Destined for USA and Canada

Suffix:

W = Reclining, Separate Seat, _ = Bench Seat

A = Automatic Transmission, _ = Manual Transmission

T = Floor Shift, _ = Column Shift

Honestly, I have never seen the suffix ever used. Just the Prefix up to the numeric model code (i.e. PL610 or KPL610)

Bonvo, does your sales docs show a Suffix code group??

You're right! I checked and the 610 to July '73 with L18s were PL610s.

My info shows the 710 as HL710 with all L18 motors.

In the 620s L16 were used till '73 and L18 to '74 and were both labeled PL620. L20Bs were the first HL620s

Go figure.

Yep, J stands for solid rear axle. And K is for coupe as usually. H is not necessarily associated with L18. Very often it stands for “the second biggest engine”, but not always. I haven´t figured out the logic behind this yet.

For example HLB310-> H=A14, L=LHD and B310 is body style. Again PLB310->P=A15 (the biggest engine available) and the rest is the same.

On the other hand, H is missing from the F10 series code. LF10->[blank]=A12, L=LHD and F10 is body style. Usually no engine code means the smallest engine, but this case the A10 powered version is BLF10. And like many other models (but not all of them), P stands for the biggest engine->A14 powered version is PLF10 (and coupe naturally is KPLF10).

Then there´s also bunch of letters after the model code. They define marketing area (Europe, USA etc.) and is Deluxe, SSS or what. But those letters are not visible in the code stamped on the car.

I would say there is a certain logic behind Nissan model codes, but at the same time it is highly illogical. I´m currently studying them. I´m writing an article about the codes together with couple of fellow Datsun enthusiasts. It will be published in the Nissan Club of Finland club magazine. Our research is still in very early state and I don´t know when the study is ready to bee published.

edit: zerow was faster than me...it is even more confusing if P is for L18 in US...I think those letters go after JDM models and since US models had "over sized engines" the logic iss gone?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

that is a very good question ill check it as soon as i get home and report back on that

Prefix and Suffix codes do have some [repeat some, but not much] logic. My car is a RL411UAK. First letter R, P is the usual leadin for the 411 and was formerly the largest [J13] engine. When the car was redesigned as the SSS with a modified 1600 R engine it was a no brainer to change P to R. L is left hand drive. 411 is the basic model. U is USA and Canadian export spec. A is for the Borg Warner automatic transmission, manual transmission cars have a T here. K stands for Hitachi "SU" dual carburators [think Karburettor to mess up the British spelling]. If it was a wagon, the whole designation would be preceeded by a W as in WRL411UTK.