New guy an' a dime

Hey thar!

I got this a month or so ago. Still not running, sadly.

It's my '68 Datsun 510 Sedan.

has somewhat over 90k miles on it. Has a newly rebuilt L18, but from what I understand the car hasn't been started since it was dropped in.

New plugs, wires, distributor, starter, fuel pump, and whatnot, all put in by previous owner.

here's some pics.

Datsun510001.jpg

Datsun510002.jpg

Datsun510003.jpg

Datsun510006.jpg

here is the photobucket album with the rest of the pics.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/veritech231/Datsun/

I am currently working on a 1960 chevy apache 10 i have, so i haven't had too much time to devote to this, but i'd hope to get it up and running soon.

I went to start it and I noted the fan turned once and then the motor itself just wouldn't turn. I let it sit and tried a little later, and it did the same thing. and i've manually been able to turn it so I don't think anything is stuck. i just think that somethin may be up with the wiring, that there's not getting a good charge to the starter...

Note: I have to start it with a screwdrive cause the part of the ignition you put the key in is gone... problem?? haha!

anyway. IT'll be a fun project and i can't wait to get it goin. I wanna eventualy go CAT or KAT swap. but we'll see.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I badly want a 68 sedan... Maybe my next project! She's a bit rough around the edges, but structurally all there! I'd try re-wiring the starter and see if it's a bad connection, or replacing the starter all together. Might be the culprit! Get it running, slacker!

Yeah. I was pretty happy to find out it was a '68. But it's going to be a pain to find some of the '68 original parts to replace the busted ones on this. (Like a good set of '68 tails, and the dash, etc..)

The starter is brand spankin new though. I actually bought that right after i got the car because the old one seemed to be shot..

anyway. it's quite a project. I have a haynes manual, but i don't understand their wiring diagrams for shite.

I have to start it with a screwdrive cause the part of the ignition you put the key in is gone... problem??

Are you using a screw driver end to turn a slotted key switch round thing with the 5/ 6 contacks with the connector on there.

I wonder if your just turning the starter and not routing power also to the coil and the bypass resisitor wire to the coil the the coil is getting power during start.

ballast510_thumb.jpg

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
Hey thar!

I got this a month or so ago. Still not running, sadly.

It's my '68 Datsun 510 Sedan.

has somewhat over 90k miles on it. Has a newly rebuilt L18, but from what I understand the car hasn't been started since it was dropped in.

New plugs, wires, distributor, starter, fuel pump, and whatnot, all put in by previous owner.

here's some pics.

Datsun510001.jpg

here is the photobucket album with the rest of the pics.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v338/veritech231/Datsun/

I am currently working on a 1960 chevy apache 10 i have, so i haven't had too much time to devote to this, but i'd hope to get it up and running soon.

I went to start it and I noted the fan turned once and then the motor itself just wouldn't turn. I let it sit and tried a little later, and it did the same thing. and i've manually been able to turn it so I don't think anything is stuck. i just think that somethin may be up with the wiring, that there's not getting a good charge to the starter...

Note: I have to start it with a screwdrive cause the part of the ignition you put the key in is gone... problem?? haha!

anyway. IT'll be a fun project and i can't wait to get it goin. I wanna eventualy go CAT or KAT swap. but we'll see.

Sweet Jesus

Why can't I get lucky like everyone else

Welcome!!

I have many ignition switch for that car

Your also missing the front market lens and side marker

Also have those

Too much work for that car not worth fixing it

Hand it over to me

Will give you a running 70' 510:D

Sweet Jesus

Why can't I get lucky like everyone else

Welcome!!

I have many ignition switch for that car

Your also missing the front market lens and side marker

Also have those

Too much work for that car not worth fixing it

Hand it over to me

Will give you a running 70' 510:D

you are a funny man.

very funny. but i think i'll keep this one. I have both the front marker covers, but one is broken. I don't have the side markers though.

I understand it'll be quite a pain to get this all put together, but i guess i'm addicted to pain or something. must've come from all the spicey foods i ate as a child...... that and the beatings... lol.