350Z SR20DET Drift Car Build :)

KA620

Well this would have been a productive weekend usually, if we had actually liked the final turnout of the interior paint. We spent the entire day on Saturday prepping the car to be ready to paint and we got to the interior on Sunday morning and were going to start painting the exterior of the car but it was drizzling and not a good day to continue. The end result of the interior we didn

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few updates over these past few days.

The motor pulled from the 240z was dropped into the 350z :) Fits very nicely and just need to modify the top-mount manifold so that the turbo clears the strut tower and is closer to the motor and further away from the brake parts.

I went ahead and pulled the brake pedal (was automatic before) to cut it down to size and also install the clutch pedal and master cylinder at the same time. Brake booster and master were also set in place and re-installed

We also got started on the re-wiring of the standalone and complete car. The factory wiring harnesses for the car weigh so much its ridiculous. This new EZ-Wire setup definitely comes in handy but is very time consuming.

img_1261-300x225.jpg

img_1230-300x225.jpg

http://www.AlexVillabrille.com

We are trying to have continuous updates and progress on the car while still working on customer cars during the day. These past two days I have been doing routine service and prepping cars for swaps while my dad started to work on the dash center panel.

He found some carbon sheet lying around the shop and got to fitting it into where the old navigation and Bose stereo used to be. The gauges fitted into the pod are temporary for fitment purposes only.

Check it out:

img_1265-225x300.jpg

If you go to the blog page you can click on all the pictures to view them in full size.

might i ask why the whole point of an engin swap is for more power i dont care how much power you make with an sr i know everyone keeps saying the replacement for displacement is technoligy but what happends when you add technoligy to displacement if i remeber correctly the stock vq had a 1 liter advantage over the sr im all for somthing different but i just dont get this please explain it to me

might i ask why the whole point of an engin swap is for more power i dont care how much power you make with an sr i know everyone keeps saying the replacement for displacement is technoligy but what happends when you add technoligy to displacement if i remeber correctly the stock vq had a 1 liter advantage over the sr im all for somthing different but i just dont get this please explain it to me

Your right, most people these days are putting bigger motors in the cars in the drift scene, however hes probably doing it for weight, and the abundance of aftermarket parts...

The weight for us was a huge factor. Another thing was the ability to set the motor as far back as possible and get the distribution to make it even more drift happy.

The other huge factor was the cost it would have been for us to build the VQ and turbo it or supercharge it. The case was that our SR was already completely built and making over 500hp reliably. It would not have made sense to dump more money on another engine which we were not really keen on using anyway. The SR in the engine bay makes things much easier to work on with plenty of space for routine maintenance.

Bonvo. These guys have been building some badass cars for quite sometime. I think Alex and Adrian know what they want from this car. Believe me this thing will kick ass.

Bonvo. These guys have been building some badass cars for quite sometime. I think Alex and Adrian know what they want from this car. Believe me this thing will kick ass.

dont get me wrong im not saying it wont be a monster and i do see the weight savings but i just cant wrap my head around replacing a v6 with a 4 cyl it just doesnt work in my head :P

just like with this 240z it just doesnt work in my mind

wtf.jpg

Edited by bonvo
and i do see the weight savings

Ya that's not true though. They are almost the same weight. Add all the turbo crap and the sr weighs more then the vq.

That's why I say only reason I can think is because it was there.

Long block to long block the VQ weighs more. If we were keeping the VQ it doesnt make enough power NA and it would have to be force inducted. Both engines force inducted the VQ still weighs more and would have costed us more to build.

You cant compare our build replacing a v6 with this turbo 4 cylinder in the same category as a 240z with an L20b engine. Totally not the same thing when our engine is built and putting out far beyond the horsepower and torque of the stock v6. This is not a thread to start a v6 vs. 4 cyl and is merely a build thread to show what we are doing with the car.

Not for nothing but why do people always compare long block weights, are you running the long block or a complete engine? The sr20det long block with intake and exhaust mani/turbo is 328lb and the vq35de long block with intake and exhaust mani is 320lb. (Via Nico) Throw in another 100lb for piping IC bov etc..

No exhaust mani

DSCN1351.jpg

Addition cost vs cost is very debatable, esp since lighter out of the box the vq is making over 50hp/tq more at a lower rpm.

I wasn't trying to sidetrack the thread. It's your car, your project and your choice, no doubt it will make the power you need too but lets keep it real with the weights.

It's a great project and I can't wait to see more. No doubt in my mind everything to come will be quality work.

Edited by 72240z

Not a problem, but intercooler, piping and bov are no where near another 100lbs either in a v-mount setup. Our intercooler is only about 15-20lbs so the complete setup with v-mount, intercooler, radiator, piping and bov will be around 50lbs give or take a few.

This engine is much easier for us to maintain and work with on the car. We would have never even thought of doing the VQ in the first place. The day we got the car we already decided to throw the SR into it.

Long block to long block the VQ weighs more. If we were keeping the VQ it doesnt make enough power NA and it would have to be force inducted. Both engines force inducted the VQ still weighs more and would have costed us more to build.

You cant compare our build replacing a v6 with this turbo 4 cylinder in the same category as a 240z with an L20b engine. Totally not the same thing when our engine is built and putting out far beyond the horsepower and torque of the stock v6. This is not a thread to start a v6 vs. 4 cyl and is merely a build thread to show what we are doing with the car.

im not compareing anything im just saying that i couldnt replace a v6 with a 4 cylinder just like i couldnt put an a series in a z car

dont get me wrong im not saying it wont be a monster and i do see the weight savings but i just cant wrap my head around replacing a v6 with a 4 cyl it just doesnt work in my head :P

just like with this 240z it just doesnt work in my mind

wtf.jpg

Now that is a wasted motor swap. That's some funny shit. :lol: But it has a chrome air cleaner.

Chet at Galek Motorsports came through with the ETB Instruments DigiDash 2 Lite. It finally arrived today after such a long time in deciding what we were going to do with the central gauge setup.

We will have it installed and wired as soon as the rest of the sensors come in the mail and get some new lit up pictures! Dont forget that if you go to the blog page you can view the pictures in full size when you click on them.

img_1325-300x225.jpg

Well the car was donated thanks to Daryl Alison from JustDriven.com

Dynamic Autosports is helping us out quite a bit on how to set the car up similar to their Hankook 350z as well as with parts.

M1Autosport will be coming through with a complete kit, CF hatch and Asuka design hood.

Future sponsorships will come eventually as I get more seat time and competitions under my belt.