First timer bought a King Cab 620 yesterday!

Hello everyone- I just bought a 1977 King Cab 5 speed yesterday! Naturally, I have big plans that may never come to fruition but lack of time and money won't stop me from trying to reach them. First things first, though. I'm looking for parts- specifically for shifter linkage, front suspension, clutch centering tool, bench seat, and other stuff I can't think of right now.

The truck's got an L20 with a stock carb(?) and a header. The body is decent with some dings and rust spots here and there but nothing major at all. The brakes were upgraded to disc (so I guess it was an early '77?) but still has the drum brake master cylinder so the pedal's a bit mushy. I'm getting the disc/drum MC from the PO soon.

The trans seems just fine but the shifter is super sloppy and needs a new boot. My front suspension needs a little love; the steering box seems worn out (lots of play as well), front springs may have been boogered with (I want stock height), and the front end just seems to wander a bit.

Also, the engine sounds great but when I give it some throttle under load it bogs and is slow to respond. I'm thinking carb is possibly too big or I might have the wrong jets or whatever.

I'm not a mechanic, but i'm okay with tools (what little is at my disposal). I'm hoping to meet some other Datsun folks at the upcoming Datsun/Ratsun Canby event. Thanks for any help or advice, everyone!

-Matt

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone- I just bought a 1977 King Cab 5 speed yesterday! Naturally, I have big plans that may never come to fruition but lack of time and money won't stop me from trying to reach them. First things first, though. I'm looking for parts- specifically for shifter linkage, front suspension, clutch centering tool, bench seat, and other stuff I can't think of right now.

The truck's got an L20 with a stock carb(?) and a header. The body is decent with some dings and rust spots here and there but nothing major at all. The brakes were upgraded to disc (so I guess it was an early '77?) but still has the drum brake master cylinder so the pedal's a bit mushy. I'm getting the disc/drum MC from the PO soon.

The trans seems just fine but the shifter is super sloppy and needs a new boot. My front suspension needs a little love; the steering box seems worn out (lots of play as well), front springs may have been boogered with (I want stock height), and the front end just seems to wander a bit.

Also, the engine sounds great but when I give it some throttle under load it bogs and is slow to respond. I'm thinking carb is possibly too big or I might have the wrong jets or whatever.

I'm not a mechanic, but i'm okay with tools (what little is at my disposal). I'm hoping to meet some other Datsun folks at the upcoming Datsun/Ratsun Canby event. Thanks for any help or advice, everyone!

-Matt

Hey Matt,

Forget the shifter linkage, you need new nylon bushings Nissan Pt. # 32855 H1010. Suggested retail $3.20 You sure it's a 5spd? sloppy shifter can fool you.

Boot is # 32862 E9300 ... $3.97

Clutch tool usually comes with a new clutch.. why do you need one???

You probably have a '78 truck and are looking at the build date on the driver's door post. If it's after Aug. '77 it's likely a '78 model year. Look up under the dash beside the glove box and the upper door hinge just above the kick panel there will be a black box about the size of two cigarette packs with a plug and 5 wires if it's a '78.

The front 'springs' are really torsion bars and ride height is totally adjustable so they don't need replacing.

The steering box may be fine. First check all the steering linkages, ball joints and the idler arm for wear and looseness. The steering box has a 19 to 1 ratio so if all the steering components add up to 1/4" of play, the box will multiply this by 19 times to almost 5" of steering wheel 'slop'. Get the worn steering parts replaced and the wandering will probably disappear.

As for the engine, there are a few things that should be checked and adjusted to eliminate them as problems later when trouble shooting.

1/ Get the valve cover off and some feeler gauges and set the valves.

2/ Set the idle and idle mixture. Can I assume it has a stock Hitachi carb???

3/ Clean or replace the plugs, replace the wires, cap and rotor. If you do have a '77 replace the points, and then get the timing set.

Number 1 and 3 could be the cause of poor performance so that problem may clear up. If you don't know when the last time this truck was maintained, change the oil and filter, drain the rad and refill with quality antifreeze/coolant. Drain the tranny and replace with GL-4 80-W-90 weight oil, drain the rear end and replace with GL-5 90 weight oil.

Thanks, Mike- that's a lot of info that'll save me some time and money. Yeah, I looked through the Haynes and Clymer manuals and found the tine pics of the bushings I need. Looks like an easy job. As far as the points are concerned, it's got some kind of aftermarket electronic ignition on it (Pertronix?) but I'll check the wear of the cap and rotor. There's also a bit of shudder when coming off the gas that sounds like it might be coming from the driveshaft (center bearing?).

Good to know about the torsion bar. I intend to use this truck as a truck and I like stock ride height. I'm usually a granny driver with my pickups but this one sounds like it might have some go-go to it!

The "big plans" I eluded to is a diesel swap. BUT, there's a twist to the swap; VW 1.6TD or 1.9TD (mechanical). I've have a couple Rabbit diesels in the past and loved 'em. Low power doesn't bother me (mine were non-turbo'ed) and I loved the fuel economy. I drove cross-country with a loaded down '81 Rabbit pickup and still got almost 50mpg! Never got below 38- ever.

I know the Nissan diesel would be a lot easier but I'm sticking with the Vw option for now. ACME already has a kit to mate a Toyota 22r 5 speed to run north/south. Eh, probly won't happen but I'm gonna do some research and see what it'll take.

Pics will be up in a few days!!

Check that build date... the '78 has an EI distributor in it that would look like a Pertronix. Here's a picture of the '78 remote igniter dizzy. The 'box' is to the right beside the glove box up under the dash.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/EIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg[/img]"]EIdizzyremoteigniter.jpg

The '78 won't have king pins but ball joints. It will have front disc brakes and an internally regulated alternator, so no regulator bolted to the inner fender just behind the battery. The '78 will most likely have the W-58 head. You can check by looking on the head just below the number one plug and just above the block. Check it out, you may have a '78!POST PICTURES OF THE MOTOR

• 3 weeks later...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2481/3585746350_fbeed3c6f2_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3348/3585744774_9807397167_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2430/3584082457_3b2cd95ccf_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3624/3584094187_a94b8cebb6_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3391/3584947577_69c8861df9_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3559/3584950641_c91859ebe6_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3381/3584956075_4ce37da7b8_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2480/3585767424_bb13c0a567_b.jpg

so here are the pics of my truck, finally. i hope they're not too large. it is a 1977 and it's been upgraded with front disc brakes but still needs the disc master cylinder installed (kinda mushy right now). rust isn't too bad.

i immediately replaced the shifter bushings b/c it didn't have ANY when i bought it. Mazda wheels/tires seem to suit the truck fine. the shocks need replacing bad and i want to raise the truck to stock height. this will be used as a truck and i need a little more ground clearance, especially since the exhaust pipe seems to have been routed poorly and goes under (instead of over) a cross member. i've seen in most 620 pics that the pipe is routed over this member but i'm not sure which cross member it is (seems like it can only be one though, right?). it rattles a bit when idling, too, which is totally annoying.

anyways, it runs fine although it's a little sputtery pulling away cold or if you give it too much gas even when warmed. if you take it easier, no problem. the steering seems a bit wallowy so i'll have to check the front suspension (any ideas?).

it's got sport style bucket seat but i'd love to get a decent bench seat put back it in (the one with a shifter recess). all the glass is good, everything works, and i think it's a good deal for $800.

future plans are gtting the suspension sorted, swapping the brake master cylinder, raise it up, paint the wheels, replace a few lenses, upgrade the alternator, and i know it's a grandiose idea, but swapping in a VW 1.6TD mated to a Toyota 22R transmission. i know the Datsun deisel would probably be a lot easier but i love the VW diesels and not only are parts more readily available, it's a lot more fuel efficient. it's been done for years with Geo Trackers and Suzuki Samurais with great success. this thing weighs barely more than a 4 door Rabbit so i'm not worried about power to weight. i just love diesels, too. more later- i'm off to work!

Edited by rover215
pics did not upload

Man I've got to stop looking at these truck threads. Seeing all these old Datsun pickups makes me want to sell my 93 Hardbody extended cab 4x4 and get an classic Nissan pickup. Maybe when the VG30E decides to give up the ghost on me, it has a little over 208,000 miles on it now.

Rover215 Said] ...it's got sport style bucket seat but i'd love to get a decent bench seat put back it in (the one with a shifter recess). all the glass is good, everything works, and i think it's a good deal for $800.

800 DOLLARS!!!! I bought my 77 KC for 600 bucks and all it was lacking at the time was a speedo gear and a drivers door window regulator. It had carpet, center console, door panels. It was pretty much clean and complete.

I think you should have only paid about 400 for that truck. IMO.

Weaver- thanks for the pics fixin'. i couldn't seem to get it to work for me, but i did try.

LCDC- that hurts a little bit! i thought it was a fair deal- maybe not a screaming deal for either one of us, but fair. the seller is a good guy and i think he thought it was a fair deal, too. even told me (after giving him a deposit) he'd refund the deposit if i had a change of heart over the next week ( the time of the balance due).

but whatever- i like it and will enjoy it. thanks for the value info, though. since buying it, i've seen a lot more 620's show up on craigslist here in PDX and have seen wildly differing prices. that's just how some sellers are; some think their car is rare as Skylines and it's beat up and others think it ain't worth a dozen Krispy Kremes and it's near mint.

at any rate, can anyone tell me how i can move this discussion to the "Trucks" section? i'l probably keep going on this and ask around for parts, advice, info, and trades. thanks everyone.

Weaver- thanks for the pics fixin'. i couldn't seem to get it to work for me, but i did try.

LCDC- that hurts a little bit! i thought it was a fair deal- maybe not a screaming deal for either one of us, but fair. the seller is a good guy and i think he thought it was a fair deal, too. even told me (after giving him a deposit) he'd refund the deposit if i had a change of heart over the next week ( the time of the balance due).

but whatever- i like it and will enjoy it. thanks for the value info, though. since buying it, i've seen a lot more 620's show up on craigslist here in PDX and have seen wildly differing prices. that's just how some sellers are; some think their car is rare as Skylines and it's beat up and others think it ain't worth a dozen Krispy Kremes and it's near mint.

at any rate, can anyone tell me how i can move this discussion to the "Trucks" section? i'l probably keep going on this and ask around for parts, advice, info, and trades. thanks everyone.

I thought about that after I posted and wondered if it might have made you feel bad. When I bought my truck, I had the option to get the tool box in back of it for an extra hundred bucks, plus i could have gotten an original 620 tach too for a price. I had to drive this thing from Kent, WA to Spokane WA with no speedo and the window halfway down. And everytime I revved up to shift the thing would rattle like a sun of a gun. Later I found out it was my heat shield and a clamp of some sort on the exhaust pipe not too far from the manifold. But i've put a bit of work into it. :D Had to change out the married intake exhaust manifold, then put a webber on it. Then I had to take the front end off my 77 standard cab i got for 250 bucks in 06 before i got the king cab to fix it when I hit the deer.

But I'm glad I got this truck though. I wish I coulda paid a little less but thats the way it goes. I also wish I woulda thrown in the extra 100 bucks for the tool box. :D But here before to long there won't be much left of this original KC once I put it on the 80 4x4 frame. the bed from the 77 SC is going on it, and the doors from my 79 KC might go on it as well so i won't have to fix a rust patch in the door.

over all rover, looks like a good truck for the most part. I like the black accent down below.