My 75 620 longbed (finally got my camera!)

Phirus

So here It is.

I received this 1974 Datsun 620 about 2 years ago to replace my p.o.s. 1981 F100, one hell of a trade off.

The truck sat for the last 11 years at some guys house in Greenville SC.

My dad tinkered a bit, cranked it right up, then drove it 63 miles home without a single problem!

It also came with-

A brand new dash

Factory stereo

Spare brake and turn lights

Spare breather

Spare Ignition switch with cover

New set of sun visors

and a Spare heater unit

I think she's in pretty damn good condition for her age. Paint looks good for 35 years old. Engine runs fine, has never been rebuilt that I know of.

I really need to get a new carburetor, the electronic choke is the only problem I've had so far.

She has fresh paint in the bed, everything's been soaked down with "Rust Stop" (expensive shit, but worth it). I painted the rails and hooks plus the letters on tailgate Satin Black. I plan on doing the bottom border with the same paint, Heavy Duty Krylon SatinBlack spray, 4$ at Walmart, painted an entire 93 Roadmaster with it (batman aint got shit on it).

The interior is awesome, original seat is in killer shape, except for some weird purple line on passenger side, I think I can paint it with some nylon spray.

Dash is a bit cracked, the face is broken off, but I have some brushed aluminum I'm going to cut a new face from, it should look awesome!

Put in a Sony Xplod stereo with Xplod 6" full range in front, Sanyo 6" cradled subs in rear with folgers cans as boxes, bit ghetto, sounds great.

Floorboard are original and are in great shape, same with door panels, I need to reupholster the ceiling, it has pulled out from around the windshield, any tips on that?

Need some new wheels and tires, I'm thinking of getting some Chevy 15" slotted mags.

Anyways, here's some pics.

74datsun620011.jpg

74datsun620012.jpg

74datsun620013.jpg

74datsun620014.jpg

74datsun620015.jpg

74datsun620016.jpg

74datsun620017.jpg

74datsun620018.jpg

74datsun620019.jpg

74datsun620020.jpg

74datsun620021.jpg

74datsun620022.jpg

74datsun620023.jpg

74datsun620024.jpg

th_74datsun620025.jpg

Anyoen have any comments or suggestions?

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What?!

No comments!

erg

I'm anxious to know what people think about my truck lol.

Update:

Working on taking the fender off so I can beat the dent out around turn signal, going through a lot of liquid wrench :mad:

Painted the breather with some sating black.

Any tips for taking off the fender?

Well, the only comment I have it "That's not a '74". It's a '75 model year, though it certainly could have been built in late '74.

Heck, I can read the "1975 Model Year" right there on the emissions tag.

Longbed '75s are exceptionally hard to find. Well, longbeds in general are hard to find.

Looks like a solid starting point, the rockers aren't all rotted out which is a good thing. Square headlights aren't my thing (I think they clash with the rounded fenders) but that's a personal preference.

^I don't think you need to remove the bumper (you do if you want to take the front valence off) but you need to remove the grille to get to one of the fender bolts. Helpful tip: take off the fan if you're removing the bumper. I scratched up my arm real bad trying to do it with the fan still on there. lol

Definitely a nice little long bed, just needs new headlights, those look really bad with the stock grille. Where does the hose from the valve cover breather go?

Edited by Weaver
Yeh, I like my trailer mirrors lol.

Anyone know if I need to take off the front bumper to remove the fender?

You need to unbolt the bolt that the bumper and fender are mated to, but yeah, it would be much easier to take off the front bumper.

Nice truck, fits in on Ratsun reaal well.

It just gos to the bottom of the truck from what it looks like lol.

And yeah, it's a 75, my mistake..

The square headlights don't even fit right, the beams cross each other at about 25 yards.

So adjust them. if you wanna go round you'll have to find the buckets and mounts to put the round ones back on and the right grill for that year. Some one did a good job putting the trim in the grill. I'd rather go round headlights on a 620 grill as well, but in some cases i might make an exception. I've actually been thinking about going single headlights. Anyone done that yet?

You do have to take the bumper off, because the fender has to come forward a bit to come off. Plus the bumper is bolted through the fenders on the corners.

Make life easy on yourself when removing the bumper and pull it off brackets an all. Don't try taking the bumper off the brackets first, the bracket-frame bolts are much easier to get to. You don't need to pull the fan or radiator (unless the lower hose won't flex enough to get at the P/S bolts) if you have several 12" extensions.

I think almost everyone breaks off that lower fender bolt. They rust from behind.

Edited by datsunaholic

^I didn't have any extensions (dad had the toolbox key) when taking mine off, so I had to get down in there to unbolt it.

I just twisted off the bolt head for on the bolt at the bottom of door...

Gonna have to get my drill out...

Damn it

It helps to squirt some PB blaster on the exterior bolts before you start to take them off, especially on a vehicle that old. it'll save you some frustration and money.

I sprayed everything with liquid wrench, It didn't matter, they twisted off with almost no torque.

Make life easy on yourself when removing the bumper and pull it off brackets an all. Don't try taking the bumper off the brackets first, the bracket-frame bolts are much easier to get to. You don't need to pull the fan or radiator (unless the lower hose won't flex enough to get at the P/S bolts) if you have several 12" extensions.

I figured that, the 2 bolt holding the bumper would be hell to get too, imma just take off the brackets.

I got the bumper off, lots of rust under there!

Just now figured out I need to take the cowl off to get to that side :rolleyes:

Almost there damn it!

I think I'm gonna go ahead and take out the radiator and stuff so I can pick up a new water pump at O'reilys.

Gotta find me an old ball peen and start rubbing out these dents!

Back to work I go!

I like the round lights, but that's the best square set up I've seen. Nothing wrong with those rims (for now) spend the money on something more important. For the roof get thin closed pile black carpeting and glue it on. It will tuck under the window rubber and look ok. Go to a carpet store and look for scraps big enough. Do I need to tell you NOT to get shag carpet??? The coffee cans are a step in the right direction, but would work better for low frequencies if they were made of at least 1/2" wood, any shape and as large as you can fit under and behind the seats. The valve cover hose should be connected to the air filter to prevent fumes from entering the cab.

What?!

No comments!

erg

I'm anxious to know what people think about my truck lol.

WTF??? less than an hour? Some of us work you know. :lol:

Edited by datzenmike
I like the round lights, but that's the best square set up I've seen. Nothing wrong with those rims (for now) spend the money on something more important.

I asked for the new grill off of partstrain for my birthday, gonna ask everyone else to get the lights for it lol. I guess I need to find the cradles to hold the lights cause it has square ones in it. I dunno, probably just rig it up somehow.

For the roof get thin closed pile black carpeting and glue it on. It will tuck under the window rubber and look ok. Go to a carpet store and look for scraps big enough.

I'm hoping to find something in the super dark blue to match my original floor mats.

Got it off.

It's a damn mess under there!

fenderwork003.jpg

fenderwork001.jpg

fenderwork002.jpg

Dad came out to help.

Which is good, cause I have no body work experience.

fenderwork005.jpg

fenderwork007.jpg0

Here's the fresh painted breather.

fenderwork004.jpg

Next project is going to require some welding..

fenderwork009.jpg

Looks a lot better.

finishedfender001.jpg

finishedfender002.jpg

finishedfender003.jpg

I'm going to try and convince my dad to let me move the truck to the mills shop tomorrow, then maybe do some serious work since I'll be out of the weather.