Alternator Int. Reg VS Ext Reg

OK I searched the forum for info on this and only got vague info. I want get a new Alt. for my 73 620. Napa offers the stock Internally Regulated 35A one and a 60A Externally Regulated one. I would like to get the 60A but dont really know what alterations are needed other than disconnecting the External Regulator. NO I DO NOT WANT TO DO SATURN SWAP!:fu: 60A is enuff for what I am running. I just want to know if there is any wiring changes like in the 510 swap. Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=124&size=big&papass=&sort=1

620s have same color codes I believe just they use a different connector set up ROUND. make jumper and plug in or use the old volt reg and cut the wires and loop them back,short them out. But I would not do this and save it incase you want to go back to ext volt reg.

PS use the engine harness color codes as some aftermarket wire color are in the wrong spot!!!!!!!

I use a 50 amp external alternator on my 521 and the alternator is very close to the idler arm and over time it stretches hitting the idler arm on the steering. If I turn left alternator hits causeing a weird noise thinking the supension is going bad. I ground down the corner of the idler arm mounting NUT and it works OK using a new Belt..

Datzen Mike or others know of swapping the water elbow intake so it gives more clearance also. It help on picking the correct or better alternator mount that goes to the block but Im unsure as I used the 510 as the 521 looks like cheezy stamped steel(maybe it fit and angles better,havent tried it)

Napa Alternator are mediocre at best. Maybe the Beck Arnely ones ar OK ,if I remember correctly they say they are 100% rebuilt.

Jeff uses the new KA truck alternator as it uses a V belt

1974DatsunTruckVoltageRegConnectorBlock_thumb.jpg

DatDoug, I hope you just have the terms backwards. A stock '73 alternator would be a 35A Externally Regulated. There are also 35A Internally Regulated ones, used from '78-79.

To use a 60A Externally regulated one, you don't do anything else. They still need the external regulator on the fenderwell. The Internally regulated ones need the wiring change (loopbacks), as "Internal" means the regulator is inside the alternator.

The Bosch brand are Hitachi rebuilds anyways.

I use the nissan 50amper external but have a few NEW NISSAN rebuit units.

However the price has skyrocketed since i go them at 50$ apc.

I have a Beck Arnely unit at Home which says its a 100 remanufacture unit. If that mean anything???????? But havent persoanlly run it as once I went with Nissan starters and alternator I havent changes on in over 7/8 yrs now.

DatDoug, I hope you just have the terms backwards. A stock '73 alternator would be a 35A Externally Regulated. There are also 35A Internally Regulated ones, used from '78-79.

To use a 60A Externally regulated one, you don't do anything else. They still need the external regulator on the fenderwell. The Internally regulated ones need the wiring change (loopbacks), as "Internal" means the regulator is inside the alternator.

Yah you caught me!:fu: I wuz bass akwards on that:blink: Thanks for the info. I will be getting the 60A "INTERNALLY REGULATED" alt. and do the loop-back. Altho my plug is rectangular.