Project dime

So I have had a beat up dime for a few years, it has been sitting waiting for me to have any free time, or money.

So I started tearing into it the other day, it needs some serious front end sheetmetal work, some floor patches, and a paint job, eventually.

I got it running after an oil change, but the radiator was shot so I could not run it long enough to tune. So I ordered another rad, and went to work on the under side. Repacked the front wheel bearings, bleed the front and rear brakes, installed some new rear brake shoes, and drained the rear differential. I also bleed the clutch slave cylinder. Next I need to drain the transmission, refill it and the differential install the radiator when it gets here, and the speedo cable when it shows up. Ive got to have the nasty dryrotted tires pulled off the wheels then polish up the rims for new rubber. One day at a time right?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So here are some pics of what I am starting with, Yes I know that it really needs a bath, but I have to be able to move it for that.

P1020528.jpg

P1020529.jpg

P1020527.jpg

And here are some before pics of the wheels, I have spent several hours wet sanding them, and have now moved on to polishing, but I havent got any pics of them since I started

P1020530.jpg

P1020532.jpg

P1020533.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Spent some time cleaning up my new to me Hitachi su's. Cleaned 'em up and installed new tubing for the float bowls and supply. Going to head to Canby early to find a replacement for my vacuum advance, it doesn't work, so hope I can find a decent replacement, or a good matchbox dizzy.

Got the su's installed and a rough tune done, need to pick up the unisyn from my folks house to finalize them. Also got to come up with an air cleaner on the cheap, the su's came with two factory air cleaner bottoms so I think that I will mod one of those to use an easier to find filter. And I will head out shortly to snap the previously promised pics. :fu:

Well most of the car was pretty straight, but the front is still pretty banged up, but I am working on it, it will never be perfect (without the entire front clip being replace a'la Frank and Icehouse) So I am shooting for "track sheik"

Anyway on to the pics :lol:

Whats that? A back seat full of new tires?

P1020703.jpg

New treads

P1020704.jpg

Next time you see it it will be setting on the ground(with the tires not the jack stands)

P1020705.jpg

And the pics of the new to me su's

P1020706.jpg

P1020707.jpg

P1020708.jpg

So I got the wheels and tires installed and drove it out of the drive way under its own power. :cool::cool:

Gave it a good scrubbing, and put it back in the drive way, still need to finish up a couple little things, tag & insure it and get the driver side fender and the new hood bolted on. And then I can actually drive it!!!

On to the pics.

P1020709.jpg

P1020710.jpg

P1020711.jpg

P1020712.jpg

P1020713.jpg

P1020714.jpg

Big improvement! The tires and wheels look great. It's good to take care of all that little stuff up front. I still need to change my tranny and rearend oil. I just haven't gotten to it. Is that a VW rad?

What are your plans for it?

Thanks for the compliments. It is a vw rad, And as far as plans, the real plan is to just keep plugging away at it. I really just want to be able to drive it again, I will piece the front end together as I can find the parts and money, Right now I want to get the parts I already have installed, fixing the rust in the floor, and fixing the wiring, it works, but has been hacked over the years. I dont have any real plans to swap the l out or anything, maybe someday.... but right now it is time to just enjoy driving a datsun again.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my replacement hood painted up and installed, got the fenders rehung...for now anyway, also got the headlights put back on. I still need to come up with a replacement front valance, but that does not prevent it from driving, so it is not a super high priority,I need to fix my gas door, seems the hinge was frozen so it broke, a little welding and it will be as good as new, got the front turn signals in, still need to come up with some lenses for the front. I still need to mod up an air cleaner and sync the carbs, clean out the trunk and hit the DMV for some new tags and she will finally be on the road once again. I can't freakin wait :D:D:D

I will snap some current pics tomorrow

Edited by Mesh-71
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I had a little set back, I got the dime all together, and tagged and everything. I took it on some shake down runs and it was running pretty well, but it was running hot. It never overheated, but was running hot. It was also leaking oil at the front cover. So I started to poke around and discovered that the coolant smelled like the gas tank....uh-oh

So I tore the top end down, The head gasket had tiny Little valley between 2 and 3, threw the straight edge on it and it was just out of spec. So I ran it down to Rick's cylinder head service to have it fixed.

So I have the head back, got all new gaskets, and I an waiting for it to cool down a little before I go out to clean the block, chase all the holes for the head bolts, and clean all the parts. Hopefully baring any unforeseen problems, I will have it all back together in the morning.

I am bound and determined to make it to blue lake this year!!!

(and I would really like it to be in a datsun!)

:D

Well I have gotten most of the top end put back together, just need to install a few little things, adjust the valves, and test it out. As long as there are no major problems the 510 WILL be at blue lake, not that it is anything to look at, I am pretty sure that I have seen parts cars that look better, but it is mine, and after all this is Ratsun.... isin't it? :lol:

IT LIVES!!!!!! :lol:

Got it all put back together, took it for a spin, and it runs great, I have a few little things I am going to try and take care of before sunday, but it is ready to roll as it sits!

And here are the pictures that I have been promising....Sorry it took so long.

Where I started

P1020527.jpg

P1020528.jpg

The wheels before

P1020532.jpg

The wheels after

P1020726.jpg

The Dime as it Sits

P1020722.jpg

P1020723.jpg

P1020724.jpg

P1020725.jpg

So there you go, try not to laugh too hard at blue lake, I think that I am going to make a sign for the windshield that says "Hey, at least I didn't scrap it"

:lol::lol:

Edited by Mesh-71

Yeah, the multi color look doesn't seem to be in anymore :lol:

Now that I can actually drive it, I will start fixing the floors, And then I will start at the trunk and try to get the body massaged into shape. Some day it will get painted....

Someday

Cruised the dime around today, it is running real good, but when I got home, I could see some crap on top of the battery, and it was making a streange sound (the battery). So I will need to check it to see if it is over-charging, and I sould install the volt meter I have sitting on te shelf also, At least it runs.... Maybe now I will have an excuse to swap in a IR saturn alt :D

• 7 months later...

Wow long time no update. I have replaced the voltage regulator with a j/y piece. Also grabbed a saturn alternator for a future upgrade.

Parked the dime for the winter, then the bronco got all jealous of the time I had been spending with the dime. So the bronco jumped its blocks and rolled down the driveway smashing into the back of the dime.

Total carnagefor the Dime, broken taillight, smashed rear panel, smashed rear valance, crunched deck lid.

Total carnage for the Bronco, Not even a single scratch. :blink:

With any luck I will have a new deck lid after golden gardens, I will see if I can salvage the rear panel and rear valance.

I have been driving it around to be able to find any problems.

Wipers have never worked, so I took them all apart and fixed the hacked wiring, and will have to replace or un-stick the wiper pivots

I need to re-seal the heater box, so it actually might blow some hot air.

I will try and get some pictures posted in the next couple of days.

"bronco jumped its blocks and rolled down the driveway smashing into the back of the dime"

Some how this happens to more datsun owwners than one thinks.

1)Usually I keep it under a tree.(new reports of high winds) tree falls on straight non running 510!

2) car was towed could not affortd to pull it out pound

3) dad or mom ran into it in drive way

4) stored at friends house, parents sent it to the dump

ect..

ect...

"bronco jumped its blocks and rolled down the driveway smashing into the back of the dime"

Some how this happens to more datsun owwners than one thinks.

2) car was towed could not affortd to pull it out pound

3) dad or mom ran into it in drive way

ect..

ect...

my friend ran himself over in his bronco. was underneath wrenching on the DS w/o blocks on a sloped driveway...

hecum da amberlamps!!!

lucky the g00n was around the corner! we laughed MANY times when the paramedics came into our work!

damn! im a victim of # 2 (68 goon on blocks and they pulled it off and i watched in horror as the remaining suspension bent backwards) and #3 (actually the EX into my MC in the goon)