Cleaning a radiator.

Weaver

How would one go about doing this?

There's a bunch of white stuff built up on the tubes (from what I can see looking in the filler neck) and I want to get rid of it so it doesn't cause future problems (i.e. getting clogged). It's almost clogged as it is.

What is an easy method of doing this without taking it to have it rodded? I know you can buy some radiator flush, but does that actually work in breaking up the gunk in there? I've heard that you can dissolve salt in vinegar and run it through the system; would that work?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks. :)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you know, my buddy who has been a mechanic for over 30 years does the following.

open up the bottom of the rad & drain,

take the cap off the radiator.

get a hose and make sure you have a nozzle on the end of it, jam it open and stick it in the top of the radiator, start the car and let it run for 15-20 minutes. The car running and the pressure from the hose is enough to flush it out pretty good. When they flush it at a shop sometimes its to much pressure or suction and it can cause problems or leaks due to it.

that normally flushes it out. I have seen him do this and it worked good. He is ford certified, ASE and has his own shop.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used this for the last 20 years as a auto mec. Take a Qt jar with lid fill 2/3 with warm water put 1/2 Cup Cascade dish washer soap (powder) shake until disolved. Put in rad run for 10 to 15 min. Drain and fill with water and run to norn temp drain and put in coolant.