help looking for a roadster

I have always liked the roadster but never thought of buying one.

Then one day over the past few months surfing the net ,I was hit by the fairlady bug .

I've been driving back and forth from vancouver to seattle looking for one to fix up with a decent body .

Does anyone know of one for sale if it's drivable I'm willing to fly and drive back , Idealy vancouver to portland would be nice but I'll go farther if it's a good deal

I'm looking forward to chatting cheers gus

Edited by balance1
miss spelling opp's
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little advise. While fun little cars, they can be very expensive to fix up/restore. Couple of suggestions. First, buy the nicest example you can afford and second, check out http://www.311s.organd do a little research on the differences between the years and engine choices. It's always best going into a purchase with the knowledge of what to look for to avoid getting a lemon.

Mark

A little advise. While fun little cars, they can be very expensive to fix up/restore. Couple of suggestions. First, buy the nicest example you can afford and second, check out http://www.311s.organd do a little research on the differences between the years and engine choices. It's always best going into a purchase with the knowledge of what to look for to avoid getting a lemon.

Mark

I couldn't agree more!! I got mine pretty cheap and have dumped more on parts than what I paid for it!! And I'm nowhere near being finished. I guess it all depends on what you want to do, keep it original or mod it out. There was quite a few on the Seattle CL recently but now there are none. Keep your eyes peeled, the good deals are out there. Good luck.

If your looking for a Full resto project:) i know of a low vin 1967.5 SRL (2000cc) roadster that is originally from Canada and is still legally from there( he has a bill of sale from the canadian owners and hasn't registered it in the states, I don't know if he sold it or not.I think, but don't quote me on this he was asking $7500 with lots of correct 67.5 parts. He has moved to Portland, Oregon but can still be contacted if interested. I guess it depends on what you want to do! Show queen, daily driver, ratsunized. Personally i'm going for the later, mechanically sweet but nothing flash to look at, the roadster mentioned above deserves a full restoration for many reasons but i don't have $40,000 to put into it. I have a '66 roadster and like the more antique interior and the r16 (way cheaper for an engine rebuild and from what i have noticed they're even hard to give away. Good luck with the hunt.

I'm thankfull for any and all the input and advice .It's good to know what I'm getting into and experienced people who have already been where I'm at now . cheers gus

Edited by balance1
missed a few words
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

there are 3 or 4 floating around the vancouver craiglsist if you type in datsun. one is in shambles, with no engine, some are complete drivers that actually look in decent conditon. i guess it all depends on your skill level and what your pocketbook can handle. the roadsters are never cheap.

I have to agree with the other posts on all counts, buy the best you can afford, or wait to buy a better car. To transform a $2000.00 roadster into a nice $7000.00 roadster probably costs at least $6000 to $10,000 and lots of time. Spend the $7000.00 now, and drive the car a year (or 2 or 3) sooner. Unless you're an accomplished bodyman, buy a complete running car with the best sheetmetal and paint you can afford, it's an investment.

If I were you, lurk on 311's.org, wait for an event and go see if you can bum a ride in one. also, bargains pop up, be ready to move, but don't jump on an unknown car. Dead of winter is always a bargain maker if you wait.

• 5 months later...

there are a few listed on http://www.311s.org/ one being Dbrick's very nice 1969 2000. you can drive it home.

and another one listed for alot less which would need everything rebuilt, including engine, and interior. you get what you pay for, and as everyone said, buy the best you can start with.

i passed on a deal for one that i should have purchased, but the wife nixed after finding out how much it was.

spent about six thousand less on what i own, and now have more in it, than what i could have bought the first one for that i really wanted. and sad to say, mine isn't near as nice as what i passed on. everytime she says something now, about more money for parts or mechanic work, i just throw that first one up to her and really get her stirred up.:lol:

there are a few listed on http://www.311s.org/ one being Dbrick's very nice 1969 2000. you can drive it home.

Thanks for the plug, but I'm not sure the heater works that well:eek:

If there are no bites in the next week, it goes into storage for the winter and will be for sale again in Spring, when the market gets busy.

Spokane WA would be within the "fly and drive" range, except for the weather. But it might be worth calling this guy for more details and better pics:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/1490775585.html

I suspect he isn't getting many calls this time of year. 0 degrees F at 7:00 AM today here in E Washington.

I don't know what the cost would be to have it hauled from Spokane to at least Seattle area, but there are commercial carriers doing that trip all the time.

Len

knowing what i know now, there is no way that i would ever buy another car, without first looking it over, and driving it before making a purchase.

the first 79 280zx i owned way back in the day, was bought over the phone, from a new car dealer, and it turned out to be as nice as described. a one year old trade in for a new car. i was still single then, and money at the time while still living at home, wasn't an issue like it is now.

then later in life, i purchased my next z car thru Auto Trader, from a guy in CA, flew out one way, drove the car, handed him a check, and drove it back to Arkansas. it was not exactly as desribed, but not so bad that i wanted my money back, and that was in the deal made up front. i could have pressed him for a small refund, which was also in the deal, but i didn't want to sever a relationship over three hundred dollars, incase i needed him out on the road later. that car was a 1988 300ZX SS, and i regret to this day selling it, but other things at the time were more important in life, and the SS is now in Massachusetts after selling it myself on EBay. and that sell allowed me to purchase the wife a nice used 2000 Maxima SE, which she still drives today and loves the car, and most important, knows that she still comes first over a car and maybe that is why she still puts up with me almost 28 years later.

after returning home with the SS and telling my daughter that car was too fast, too rare, to hand over to a girl in her teens, we got busy and found a second z. this one was from a guy living in Dallas, fixing to marry, and i happened to meet his mother in our home town who put me onto the car. that one was a deal, and a quick flight down to Dallas, and back the same day, and my daughter and wife were no longer mad at me for keeping the first one. and my daughter sold it to her boyfriend at the time, now hubby, after finding a local 93 300ZX vert which she drives today. and her hubby still has the 90.

my older son, wrecked his 1990 Sentra, a couple of years ago, and we decided on a 2001 Sentra SE R that i found on Auto Trader in GA, from a car dealership. that car was not quite as nice as i hoped, but again, i drove it back after flying out for my son to pick it up. they didn't bother to tell me about all the rock pecks in the hood, and it was really bad. but we had that resprayed, and it looks great now.

and finally i am down to the 69 Datsun 2000 last purchased on EBay. i have already filled you all in on that one. the car looks great from all the pictures, but i never pushed the seller for closeups like i should have, and he kept making excuses for not having pictures of the undercarraige. i learned a very expensive lesson there, and tell all this to help someone else not make the same mistakes i did. look before you buy!!!!!!!

if you guys and girls knew how bad i rambled on and on, making a post, you might have banned me from ever getting on here eh?:D i promise not to bore you so much if you don't run me off.

• 7 months later...

I am local to you and have a Roadster that I may sell. It is down to bare metal and any rust has been taken care of. I have lots of NOS parts including fenders and rear quarters put aside if need be. The motor in built to a short block at the moment. It is a stroker motor. Send me an email at akarcioglu@gmail.com Price is depending on what you want to buy. Thanks Alp