National "Cash for Clunkers" Program...

Have you checked used car values lately?? Cars aren't worth what they were just 2 years ago. I'd say that a large percentage of the used cars out there *aren't* worth even $4k. I see a LOT of used cars here in Phoenix going for between $2-5k. I think the issue lies more with the 18mpg or less thing. A large percentage of the cars out there get 18+mpg. It's the US made trucks that fit the category best. Even a lot of the 80's/90's American cars got 18mpg.

So like an 85 suburban or C10 pickup would be an ideal candidate, with their 12mpg.

yeah, it would appear they are trying to wipe out all those huge tank sized cars from the 70's and 80's.

The other issue some people might face who still drive those kinds of cars is it has to have been a continually insured car for the last year or something like that.

They are clearly not making it easy... it sounds so easy but all the rules seemingly make it so that only a small minority of the population can actually use the program. :rolleyes:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the other problem with the plan, the people who could genuinely used the $4500, STILL can't afford to buy a new car anyways.

I want to know how much different our program is then the one in Europe. Its clearly a success over there... what did we screw up in translation? :blink:

Idk there are some pretty cheap cars out there now. Jeep and others have commercials saying 4.5 on the clunker and 4.5 cash allowance. If you can't afford 4-5 year payments on a car under 15k (lots of current base models at dif makes) with that kind of discount then you prob can't afford gas either.

I'm not even middle class imo, I know times are ruff. Just saying domestics are putting some sick deals out there to push stock and stay afloat.

what did we screw up in translation? :blink:

The fact that they don't hold a candle to us in gross car sales or stock.

Just another way to pump more capital borrowed at taxpayer expense into a industry which is failing due to being mismanaged. And of course the dealers won't be marking up the new cars at all right? Obama is all about big business just like all the politicians.

Here taxpayer/consumer, have 4500 dollars, of course it will cost your children some unknown amount in interest payments to china down the road. Oh, and did I forget to mention that only the dealer gets to cash it in, so all you end up with is more debt, since we are only taking cars that have long since been paid for. But on the bright side, you get to pick from all these fine cars that nobody wanted to buy last week.

Oh, and all you ratsuners thinking about the latest performance cars from your favorite automaker, you can bet your datsun that those are excluded! Sorry sir, those cars that people actually want are excluded from the program.

:fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:

Edited by zenndog

well looks like a friend of mine actually just used the cash for clunkers program. Although he traded his super high-milage mall cruiser style jeep for a kia sedan. Said it was the only thing he could find that was fairly cheap and left him with a little bit of a loan to cover.

He told me the local kia dealer had already done 20 deals using the program. :eek:

Didn't think that many people would really qualify.

DOT 110-09

Monday, July 27, 2009

Tel: 202-366-9550

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood Kicks-Off CARS Program, Encourages Consumers to Buy More Fuel Efficient Cars and Trucks

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood today kicked off a buyer incentive program designed to help consumers purchase new fuel efficient vehicles and boost the economy at the same time. The Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS), commonly referred to as Cash for Clunkers, is a new federal program that gives buyers up to $4,500 towards a new, more environmentally-friendly vehicle when they trade-in their old gas guzzling cars or trucks.

The entity crushing or shredding the vehicles can sell some parts of the vehicle prior to crushing or shredding it, but these parts cannot include the engine or the drive train (unless the drive train, the transmission, drive shaft, or rear end are sold as separate parts).

Nice! So they can still sell the gas-guzzling engine to someone else to run in their car before they crush the body! Brilliant!

so are they going to get immediately crushed? or sent to a scrap yard then crushed when the useful parts are gone? because that exception sounds more like a scrap yard then it going to a crush pile..

I think the key is getting the cars off the road, which hopefully means a pick a part yard. :D

this hole "Cash for Clunkers" thing kinda pisses me off, insted of selling your old cars to buy a solor powered peice of crap and have people in a slipnot hold for monthley payments so you cant afford to buy food or pay rent, they should have programs out there to show you how to repair these old clunkers and make it nice and make it yours, sry yopu had to lissen to my speeeeelllll but i just thought u otta hear how i feel about it :rolleyes:

I listen @ NPR radio this morning and the engines/ transmission will be scrapped from all cars that are brought in and were used for this program.

They said the reason they are doing this is that no 3rd world countries like Africa or Mexico could reuse these engines. Japan resells used engines and so does the UK to poor nations. Remember when some Africans were buying Datsun engines? I guess America does not want this to happen! The body will be scrapped or sent to be auctioned off. If auctioned off the body could be recycled or sent to a Pick n Pull.

REMEMBER!!!!! If you use this program, cars used under this program still have a SCRAP METAL VALUE!!!!!! Maybe around 200$? You are entitled to some of that money and the dealer is only entitled to no more than 50$!!!! So you could use that remaining 150$ for the down payment!!! Don't be fooled!!!!

This is what I heard in the radio... Good luck!

I just read that and came to this thread lol. It's not that surprising. I bet auto manufactures are pissed about it. They all just spent buku bux promoting it.

In the times it says "...so popular it's broke", had me laughing. Like I imagine some bureaucrat running into an office SWEET JESUS ITS WORKING!!!! Then the guy behind the desk, DEAR GOD PULL THE PLUG!!!! PULL IT!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!

:lol::lol: