National "Cash for Clunkers" Program...

Just saw this on JNC...

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/2009/05/05/uh-oh-national-cash-for-clunkers-bill-coming/

They can have the keys to my 510 when they pry them out of my cold dead hands.:fu::fu:

In all seriousness, with sustainability being such an "in" topic right now, this is a step in the wrong direction.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a cause worth fighting for. We should all just pitch in and buy a country or move to a state thats ready to bail from the union. Funny that texas is trying to get that going because texas wants to bail from the union.

I don't want a stinking new car, they are a waste of money in paying full coverage insurance and a car payment that depletes your fun money for the next 7 years.

I wouldn't fight this. It's easy to hop on the band wagon and say though....

The way I see it, it's not forced. People scrap all these classics anyway. Now they get paid more to do it and with that voucher ceiling truth be told there are quite a few members here who's cars value just jumped.

The numbers of these cars are going to decline whether its from government legislation or time etc. Imo people need to come to terms with that and stop freaking out anytime anything having to do with classic cars is on the table.

• 2 months later...

Friday, July 24, 2009

Tel: 202-366-9550

*****MEDIA ADVISORY*****

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood Kicks-Off CARS Program, Encourages Consumers to Buy More Fuel Efficient Cars and Trucks

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood will kick off the Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS), commonly referred to as Cash for Clunkers, on Monday, July 27, 2009 at 10:30 a.m. The buyer incentive program is designed to help consumers purchase new fuel efficient vehicles and boost the economy. Secretary LaHood will be joined by Representatives John Dingell and Betty Sutton.

The Secretary, Representative Dingell and Sutton will hold a press conference immediately following the kick-off.

WHO: U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood

Representative John Dingell (MI-15)

Representative Betty Sutton (OH-13)

WHAT: Kick-Off of CARS Program Followed by Press Conference

WHERE: U.S. Department of Transportation Headquarters

1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE

Washington, DC 20590

Event will take place on the DOT plaza between Tingey and M Streets SE

WHEN: 10:30 a.m.

Media should arrive by 10:00 a.m.

EDITORS NOTE: Media should arrive by 10am. Media wishing to

bring satellite trucks need to email Sasha Johnson, sasha.johnson@dot.gov for information.

You are subscribed to DOT News for Department of Transportation. This information has recently been updated, and is now available .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update your subscriptions, modify your password or e-mail address, or stop subscriptions at any time on your Subscriber Preferences Page . You will need to use your e-mail address to log in. If you have questions or problems with the subscription service, please contact support@govdelivery.com . All other inquires can be directed to dot.comments@ost.dot.gov .

This service is provided to you at no charge by the U.S. Department of Transportation .

U.S. Department of Transportation

It's only for '85 and newer vehicles that get 18 mpg or less. The vehicle has to have been insured for at least the last year. You can get up to $4500 I think but there are stipulations. The program is only through November...

Won't really affect any of us due to the age and mpg of our chosen affliction ;)

Also, not a long enough program to affect the economy in any real way.

More feel good BS...:rolleyes:

2eDeYe;186292']It's only for '85 and newer vehicles that get 18 mpg or less. The vehicle has to have been insured for at least the last year. You can get up to $4500 I think but there are stipulations. The program is only through November...

Won't really affect any of us due to the age and mpg of our chosen affliction ;)

Also' date=' not a long enough program to affect the economy in any real way.

More feel good BS...:rolleyes:[/quote']

Son of a...oh wait, i get 20 mpg...whew...:fu:

Yeah it's actually a great deal if you have some piece of crap old truck lying around. You can get a great deal on a new car. Not a single Datsun will be lost to this program. Yeah it is feel good bs, but might as well take advantage of it if you need a new rig. It'll cost tax payers some money, but not alot in the long run.

I agree that cars today don't get as good of mileage. Now the reasons are simple. The amount of power cars have today is kind of ridiculous. When pretty much every car on the market can go faster than my 280zx did in 1981, it gives you some perspective. People think a car is guttless now if it does 0-60 in over 8 seconds!! The auto mags don't help out much either. They chastize low powered cars every chance they get. The scion xb was criticized alot, and look, now the new one has a big old engine and doesn't get good gas mileage at all. The small engine was fine for all those hipsters and geezers that actually bought the first gen one. Also, cars are way heavy nowadays. New sentras tip the scales at over 3000 lbs I think. It's gotten a little out of hand. I mean I remember when the 1995 maxima came out. It was praised for having so much power. Weighed about 3000 lbs and had 190 hp out of the best version of the vq made (3.0L). Well could a car maker sell a 190hp v6 car nowaday? Heck no!! The automotive press would kill it. They would say it was a gutless pig. It is just crazy I tell you. People think that the new mileage standards that are coming up will be un-acheivable. I say that is bs, we could do it right now. Heck, half the econoboxs from the early 90's already get that good of gas mileage.

Sorry I should stop ranting now, but jeez!!!

THE biggest reason cars get so bad gas mileage these days is weight. Engine design is far, far better than when our Datsuns were made, and alone are far more efficient. The problem lies with all the safety equipment they have now. Side impact door beams are HEAVY, those 10+ airbags add weight, the safety cage built into the body, and all the other zillions items that make us "safer", all add weight.

Back in the day GM built a small car called a Saturn. Just one car, as a test vehicle, before they ever came out with the brand Saturn. This test car got something ridiculous like 60+ mpg. But by the time they had to add all the safety crap to the car so it would pas the NHTSC safety rules, it added so much weight that not only was it gutless, but now only got minimally better mileage than any other car. So GM scrapped the whole program.

So t's a catch 22 problem, you can either have excellent mileage or a ton of safety crap, but not both.

I also had a 1988 Civic, no air bags, no abs, manual everything. It never got less than 30mpg, and once even got 50 on a trip. I sold the car to my bosses daughter, who promptly jumped it over a canal, and barrel rolled it.....yet all 5 people inside walked away without a scratch. Proving you don't NEED all this safety BS.

I want to know if all this safety stuff is really saving lives. I haven't seen any specific statistics on it to know if it is or not. But I think about 30k people still die every year in car wrecks. Put all the safty stuff you want on a car, but at a certain point physics takes over and your body just can't handle the g's! I doubt much of that safety equpment matters much at a wreck at over 70mph.

local chevy dealer had a dumpster right out front of their dealership yesterday... though that was odd...

Today I go by and now it has an old chevy in it with a "Cash for Clunkers" sign. :lol:

I think a lot of people need to read the rules for that program since most cars don't apply. Also most cars that are still running are worth more then they are paying. People need to realize that trade in might be higher then what the GOV is offering you. :rolleyes:

Have you checked used car values lately?? Cars aren't worth what they were just 2 years ago. I'd say that a large percentage of the used cars out there *aren't* worth even $4k. I see a LOT of used cars here in Phoenix going for between $2-5k. I think the issue lies more with the 18mpg or less thing. A large percentage of the cars out there get 18+mpg. It's the US made trucks that fit the category best. Even a lot of the 80's/90's American cars got 18mpg.

So like an 85 suburban or C10 pickup would be an ideal candidate, with their 12mpg.