Show us your papers.We are the NEW Gestapo

This stations don't test pre 75's, I got stopped at one. Sheriff told me to pull over. Technician told me to leave after verifying the year of my Datsun.

I've seen 3 of this last year in Orange County. This year I haven

t seen any.

What all do they do to verify the year of your truck. you could get away with it in a standard cab by swapping vin plates unless they check the frame too :D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just how far will they go with that idea??? If the breauocrats (sp) are behind this, lets say that they set one up for example on the off ramp just BEFORE the entrance to a car show or a cruise night. I know this sounds rediculious, but could THAT be done? They would systematically remove lots of cars that way. Laugh if You will, but You DID say GESTAPO.

Could ANYTHING like that be done??????

Just how far will they go with that idea??? If the breauocrats (sp) are behind this, lets say that they set one up for example on the off ramp just BEFORE the entrance to a car show or a cruise night. I know this sounds rediculious, but could THAT be done? They would systematically remove lots of cars that way. Laugh if You will, but You DID say GESTAPO.

Could ANYTHING like that be done??????

they could also do the same at any local drag strip or race track. anyone with a vehicle thats not registered for off-road use only would be screwed.

they could also do the same at any local drag strip or race track. anyone with a vehicle thats not registered for off-road use only would be screwed.

Any vehicle "registered" (?) for off-road use shouldn't be on the road anyway. You don't have smog controls on race cars, and they are trailered in.

i know there is no smog control on race cars, but i thought they still had to be registered with the dmv as a race car?!? :confused: i dunno much about that

either way, i was pointing more toward one of those mobile smog checks setting up shop outside a friday nite "run what you brung" , where regular guys with legally registered, illegally modified vehicles are abundant.

What all do they do to verify the year of your truck. you could get away with it in a standard cab by swapping vin plates unless they check the frame too :D

They only check the license plate with their computer thingy.

i know there is no smog control on race cars, but i thought they still had to be registered with the dmv as a race car?!? :confused: i dunno much about that

either way, i was pointing more toward one of those mobile smog checks setting up shop outside a friday nite "run what you brung" , where regular guys with legally registered, illegally modified vehicles are abundant.

If the vehicle is not registered and insured it has to be"registered"as Planned non-operational.

Not in Washington State. Off-road vehicles require no registration. But you are supposed to have a Title of ownership for every car or truck.

However, in the last few years they've been more insistent about getting Registration to get a Title. For example the last car I bought to part out, I had to sign a special form 'in tripiclate' legally declaring I would not operate the car on roads without first obtaining registration. At first they didn't want to tell me I had that option. I can understand they've probably been burned by dishonest people who drive illegally. So then they finally react, crack down hard, which unfortunately inconveniences the rest of us.

The Roadside smog test is completely random in all areas of Ca that require an emissions test, the reason they do them is to get a number of how many cars are operating on the road that fail their emissions test. Then bar complies a list of the cars that fail, matching them to the shops that tested them, then they go out and send undercovers to those shops.. And yes its mostly done in Southern California (the smog levels are higher down there). These aren't set up to "get you" they are actually set up to come after me and other smog techs. Its how they catch the ones who are taking money for passing cars that would otherwise fail.