Show us your papers.We are the NEW Gestapo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in riverside county I'm sure. I posted that this A.M. It's down a couple threads. I didn't word it as well as Z train. He must have snached if off zcar.com. That's a friend of mine. Big tony D.

My bad. It was in orange county.

Edited by datrod
oh god thats horrible! glad I drive a 72.

The idea behind these tests is that prior to 1975 you are exempt from annual smog checks but your car is not exempt from keeping the factory smog equipment. You can be checked at any time and legally have to keep your car running clean. The roadside stations are meant just for that.

oh no shit? good god. I thought being smog exempt gave you a golden ticket to do w/e you wanted :D can I show em that my KA gets 30mpg......

"Come on lets go for a drive to venice and back vs your crown vic. I bet I still have gas."

:P

I think its GM, and the other domestic car makers lobbying to attack people who dont want to or need to buy new american cars. Id imagine because our vintage Japanese cars run a hell of a lot better.

I believe it too. Plus the government is always trying to squeeze a little more out of us here and there. Screw them:fu::fu:

I would pass a visual inspection My 1972 Datsun daily driver has all the original smog equipment. Why bother to remove it? It runs well.

They know for example that all cars since 1968 have PCV valve. If yours is missing, uh oh!

By that logic, there would be no racing or aftermarket parts. I, for one, like the lumpy idle of my rally cam, and the corresponding zoom effect it creates. Then again, I doubt if smaller towns anywhere will be doing that as they can't afford it. But lower overpopulated California, sure thing. Not fun.

Reminds me of the Jetsons episode where grandpa shows George his "car." It used to run on gasoline, back before there were all these flying things.

It's in riverside county I'm sure. I posted that this A.M. It's down a couple threads. I didn't word it as well as Z train. He must have snached if off zcar.com. That's a friend of mine. Big tony D.

My bad. It was in orange county.

Yes,i am The "Tony's video thief".This stuff needs to be passed around.

Washington doesn't really do this yet, but I have heard the same laws apply. Even if your car is over 25 years old, if an officer pulls you over and thinks you may have parts which are not street legal he can assign you an order to go get inspected. If you fail, no renewal on your tabs until you pass. :(

(not that I abide by all the laws, but I'm just saying its out there to get us)

The idea behind these tests is that prior to 1975 you are exempt from annual smog checks but your car is not exempt from keeping the factory smog equipment. You can be checked at any time and legally have to keep your car running clean. The roadside stations are meant just for that.

That's actually true in all 50 States. Federal law requires that all factory installed emission controls be retained and in working order, irregardless of the model year. It doesn't matter if it's tested or not. But it's up to the individual States to determine the level of enforcement. Some States have no testing at all. The level of testing generally follows areas that fail the EPA air-quality assessments, and areas that fail those generally are required to increase their "efforts" to maintain air quality. If they don't they lose federal funding for other projects.

For Folks in Washington, one should take notice. King County has failed the air quality tests at least 3 times in the last 12 months, which did trigger an EPA pollution-control program audit. What the effect will be hasn't been determined- it's not just cars that have pollution controls. More frequent burn bans and factory shutdowns during stagnant air are a couple things that can be used to reduce pollution, but both are considered "reactionary". More frequent or wider testing of cars (more model years or more testing areas) are considered "proactive", but the effect was proven to be minimal.

I still remember when Washington's test was 1968-newer, every other year. And before that took effect in the mid 80s, it was EVERY year.

This sucks if they begin to do it everywhere. I thought about this exact same thing when I recently met up with a guy buying some Datsun parts from me. I met him nearby where I work and I drove my 2 door 510 with KA24DE swap and as it just happened to turn out the guy was a CHP officer...all dressed in his uniform and in his CHP car. He checked out my car and asked to see under the hood...said he has a L20 in his and is considering a KA swap too. So even some of thier own law enforcement guys will be hosed by this thing if it gets out of hand. Just more reason to not stick out like a sore thumb with my loud exhaust. :P

They know for example that all cars since 1968 have PCV valve. If your's is missing, uh oh!

True of imported Nissans but PCV has been installed on North Am cars since about '62.

Just like affirmative action, expect many hair brained ideas that are geared toward stimulating the economy. The more older cars legislated off the roads will force people to buy newer ones.... how fucked is that???? We need fewer cars, we need to get the most out of what we have.

Edited by datzenmike

This stations don't test pre 75's, I got stopped at one. Sheriff told me to pull over. Technician told me to leave after verifying the year of my Datsun.

I've seen 3 of this last year in Orange County. This year I haven

t seen any.