My 72 Datsun 510 4 door Project

First time posting, but I was going through the 510 today cause I had the day off and got her purring pretty good. Its getting registered and insured on friday so I can start driving the heap....Its nothing special and the kid that owned it before me beat the hell out of it( not to mention it looks like he tried to cut the hole through the tranny tunnel for the shift rod with prunning sheers!) They also welded the diff but I have another lsd to throw in. All together the trunk and wheel wells are solid, dashpad only has a small small crack. Ive been doing research on potential motors to build and drop in sometime in the near future. My Neighbor has a bunch of subaru gl-10 motors laying around and the EA82T caught my eye.....AWD 1.8T 510?! Now that would be sick. What do you think? Possible? Anybody have the measurements for the front/Engine bay? I was also thinking of going the common KADE or Vg30 route but still indecisive. Feedback?

datsun098.jpg

Sittin on 240sx wheels...I am looking for something smaller! Trades?

datsun099.jpg

datsun101.jpg

datsun103.jpg

Also I am having trouble getting my brand new alt to work its externally reg. My turn signals wont work either and I cleaned all the contacts, That may just be the silenoid though... and my reverse lights will not shut off when the car is on unless I unplug them???? Im gana go through the wiring tommorow but if anybody has any suggestions let me know asap.... Thanks for looking and if you have any parts that would work for me let me know what u have and we can work somehthing out.:D

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice rig! I like the hood :D

I've heard the subi engines are kinda wide and won't fit. Who knows though, it may fit. I think the amount of fab work involved it might be a better idea to find a stripped shell just incase you get to deep a 510 wasn't tore apart. Like the 68 that's in the classified would be a great all wheel drive project car. I've thought about AWD too, but I would use the RB trans and get an adapter made for the KA. I don't like transversally mounted engines.

O and all the radiator hoses and heater hoses are still available, just incase you decide to keep the L series.

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=124&size=big&papass=&sort=1

youll use 2 jumpers. use the color code on the engine harness side.

as for the external regulator and ans internal alternator? What were you thinking?

Unplugg the trans wiring as you have them plugged in wrong. Mine are not hooked up.

You can unplg the wires from the trans and put a ohm meter across the wires and find it will short when its reverse(hopefully)

as for putting in a subaru motor equip. If you can handle this ez stuff dont think youll be doing that As there is always a stack of 510 that are incomplete that had BIG Ideas.

this car used to run,now look at it(another 510 off the road)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1147605209.html

I woul get the new hoses and put the fan back on the water pump also.

510ICjumper_thumb.jpg

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=124&size=big&papass=&sort=1

youll use 2 jumpers. use the color code on the engine harness side.

as for the external regulator and ans internal alternator? What were you thinking?

Unplugg the trans wiring as you have them plugged in wrong. Mine are not hooked up.

You can unplg the wires from the trans and put a ohm meter across the wires and find it will short when its reverse(hopefully)

as for putting in a subaru motor equip. If you can handle this ez stuff dont think youll be doing that As there is always a stack of 510 that are incomplete that had BIG Ideas.

this car used to run,now look at it(another 510 off the road)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1147605209.html

I woul get the new hoses and put the fan back on the water pump also.

:mellow: Thanks for the advice man. I went through and put new fuses, bulbs and flashers in and everything works great. Unplugged the tranny wires and problem solved....The alt is still not working. Ran the 2 jumpers like the diagram but as soon as the battery is disconnected it dies like before.I know the alt is good cause I had it tested. About the subaru motor, I wasnt planning on hacking up a good shell man, I have autocad for that lol.