Disc Brake kits 521/520/320/620

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike,

Your welcome, and a big thanks to you. The kit arrived last week, looks really nice. I checked Rock Auto for the calipers, rotors, and m/c, seems like they have good prices. Now I need to set some time aside, buy the bits and pieces and put it together. Have you made the 1/4" spacers yet? One question, you have suggested using a porportioning valve in the brake system. Is that built into the 620 or newer m/c's? Or is it something seperate, I've never seen one, I'm a little confused. Thanks for your help,John

Cool.

Sorry...I haven't done anything with the 1/4" spacers yet....hadn't really gotten any interest in them. Part of the challenge with doing this kind of stuff is I have to pay for a min order or place an order big enough to get the price down...then I get stuck having all of my money tied up in parts that just sit.

Here's some Adj Prop Valves....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=adjustable+proportioning+valve&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9674661879850680378&sa=X&ei=LUDLTrbfGeWqiQK2xdCDDA&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAA

You can always put the system together without it and see if you need it. When I first did Paula's, it needed it bad! I think I just built it into the NL before I ever drove it. I've heard of guys not using it, but they seemed to be in drier climate. I live in Portland....it's raining as I type....rear end of a truck just locks up way to quickly when it wet. During an unexpected panic stop is not when you want to find out you need it.

I think the '79 620 m/c might be better suited, but some?/all? of the 620's came with a load sensing proportioning valve down on the frame to limit the rear braking when there was no load.

There's a couple of pics in this post on the 411 installation. I used a barrel connector on the 411 wagon since the rear end has plenty of weight, but you could put the prop valve in the same place on the 520.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/10125-410411-disc-brake-mod/page__view__findpost__p__183809

For me, the biggest advantage of rear disc brakes would be pedal feel and maintenance......if performance were the issue, I probably wouldn't even bother.

X2If you aren't tracking the vehicle,disc up-grades are just a "feel good"(pun intended)idea.Drums are actually more efficient than disc...intill they get hot.

Mine arrived today. Everything looks great. This saved me a ton of work, Thanks again.

Awesome! Glad to hear it......and Thanks :) Send me a link if you put up a build thread :)

X2If you aren't tracking the vehicle,disc up-grades are just a "feel good"(pun intended)idea.Drums are actually more efficient than disc...intill they get hot.

Considering the rears only do about 10-15% of the braking....it's going to take a lot to get them to heat up. :)

Guest Rick-rat

My disc brake conversion is not just a "feel good" thing. I battled the drum brakes that were on the truck and never did they work as good as the discs. If I get another Datsun the first thing that will be done is a brake conversion. My "feel good" thing is stopping fast and in a straight line.

I was originally referring to just the rear discs....and I thought Ztrain was too, but now that I've re-read it, I'm not sure. I absolutely agree with Rick concerning the front discs discs and would not put a rig on the road without front discs. However, I don't feel the same way about rear discs. Rick has the bigger front disc kit and rear disc..both by beebani.

Rick....which m/c are you running? Do you have an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear circuit? Does your 620 have the load proportioning valve on the frame?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another kit sold a couple of days ago, so I have 3 left.

I've been wanting to do this part ever since I put discs on Paula's 521 years ago. The end of the metric hose doesn't fit in the "keeper" on the chassis side. So, I'm making new ones that will fit. I may only have a few done if the price is too high. I want some for my projects :)

100_1462.jpg

I sure hope my design works!!! I just ordered 60 of these babies. The slots are to allow it to be bent around the tab on the frame.....that way the customer can put them on and I can ship them flat. I guess I'll have a few to test with. Provided they work the way I'm expecting I'll be able to sell them in pairs for less than $15. I've got to check postage again before I commit to anything less than that.

brakehoseclipB.jpg

I've talked about wheel spacers for quite some time....well, I'm finally having a couple of sets cut with this order. I'm paying twice as much for these because I'm getting such a low quantity. If I get some interest in these, I can place an order for a quantity that will get me a price break. I've got 2 sets coming in 11ga(1/8") and 2 sets coming in 1/4". The steel will be HRPO(hot rolled pickled & oiled) which is really nice stuff! So much better than the hot rolled they used to do. I hadn't seriously pursued the wheel spacers before because I just didn't like the hot rolled. Anyway....I'll post pics when I get them in a week or so.

I'm having them punch the lug bolt holes at .250". That way, they can be drilled differently, depending on if they're going on a 521 or 620. There's a difference between the SAE lug bolt dia and the metric. I'd like them to fit nice and close. I could have them cut to fit SAE and then drill them for the metric, but I don't want to try to keep track of different prices, drilled or not drilled. This way, the 521 spacers will have nicely drilled holes too.

These ought to be waaaaay better than any of the cast aluminum ones!!! They might be a bit more $'s, but they'll be worth it! I'm pretty sure I can ship a pair of 1/4" spacers in a flat rate priority envelope for $5. If I order the spacers in quantity, I can sell them, drilled and shipped for , for $25/pr(1/8") and $30/pr(1/4"). Let me know if you've bought my disc brake kit in the past ;)

wheelspcr2.jpg

I got the laser cut parts back this morning and they came out sweet!! I guess they didn't get the update to the hole diameter since they cut them to the original drawing I sent which was for the metric lugs(720). That actually worked out perfect!!! There's not enough play when it's on the SAE lug bolts for me to even bother with. The second to last pic is the SAE lug(521). You'll have to look for it in the pics. They fit awesome and when you compare them to the cast aluminum one......you start to wonder how you could ever buy a cast aluminum one again :) ...oh...the SAE lugs are in a modified 521 hub which is why the center is missing out of it....it's a lathe fixture.

100_1571.jpg

100_1572.jpg

100_1573.jpg

100_1574.jpg

100_1589.jpg

100_1590.jpg

100_1591.jpg

This was the only part that I could tweak a bit. The slots need to be widened a bit to allow a bigger bend radius. I'll have to try one on a real frame tab to make sure they'll actually go around. I bent this one on the bench. I was extremely pleased with how well I got the fit on the hose!!! I've got 60 of them....I sure hope they bend around the frame tab!!! LOL I'm really enjoying this CAD stuff. Creation without any grease involved!!!

100_1575.jpg

100_1576.jpg

100_1577.jpg

100_1578.jpg

100_1592.jpg

100_1593.jpg

100_1594.jpg

100_1595.jpg

100_1596.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Last one left this morning....thanks d510addict!! :)

I have a change or two in mind for this version, but I don't have any idea if and when I will do a setup similar to this again. Thanks to everyone that's bought my kits!!!! :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.