Disc Brake kits 521/520/320/620

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Soon? In my shop, anything under a year seems to be soon. LOL!!

I've got some control arms to finish up and then a couple of sets of kingpins to do.....then I'm going to start on a "tweak" to my brake kit. It may be a couple of weeks before I get that figured out. At that point, I'll decide if I'm actually going to make any more or not. From that point, it may take 2-6 mo for me to actually have another batch ready.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm installing the bearing adapters and modifying Wayno's spindles for my disc brake kit. I figured I shoot a bit of video during the process. I did both spindles without any heat on the inner adapters. I did use heat on the outers and they went on super easy.

I've simple pasted the different clips together. Maybe one of these days, I'll go back and edit it to make it shorter and cleaner, but for now, it is what it is.

http://youtu.be/Xd8AR1ii1dI

no plans to any time soon, but we'll see.

I need to get my wife's brake kit on her truck and the original disc kit from it shipped off to it's new owner. After that, I'm going to see about starting an new build that I think will create some interest. :)

• 4 months later...

I'll put this up on my site when I get a chance, but we shot a quick vid on removing the wheel hub from a donor vehicle.

I'm gearing up to do another batch of brake kits. I was going to make a couple of changes, but I've decided to go with the same setup as the last couple of batches. I did a bit more checking on the wheel spacer needed and an 1/8" will work, which means that longer studs won't be necessary. The other "new" build mentioned about is pretty much dead. I looked into using the same bracket for a dual piston caliper and a single piston caliper by using either the 720 rotor or the Hardbody rotor and possibly some spacers between the brackets and calipers. With what I found today with the HB rotor, that options is pretty much dead as a serious consideration. It's certainly possible, but it's not something I'd put out in any quantity. I guess I put all the info in this sale thread....probably should have done a build thread LOL

There's a few pics here, but I don't think they completely cover the differences like the video will. I was considering using Hardbody rotors on the next batch. That's what I used on the NL320, which is why if would fit stock rims. The problem is that I would need to redo the inner bearing adapter and push the entire hub out about 2mm so that I could still fit a 3/8" thick bracket behind the rotor. That's easy enough, but I end up with a tight clearance between the rotor and bracket and have to go with a smaller cotter pin, as well. To help decide, I mounted up a stock 521 rim on both setups....720 rotor and HB rotor. The HB rotor does not need the wheel spacer. Turns out the 720 setup only needed an 1/8" spacer, which is good news because anything more would require longer wheel studs. This spacer is only needed with stock rims. All other 14" rims will clear without any issues. I took vid of the comparisons, so I'll post those up when they're done. The pics are in my PB here.....

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/mklotz70/Brake%20Kits/Current%20Truck%20Kit/720%20vs%20Hardbody%20rotors/

Checking the wheel offset between the stock drum hub and the disc hub. Short answer....9/16"

Also looked into using the dust shield. I'm not going to pursue it any further, but it's certainly possible. More info in the vid when I get them done.

IMG_2206_zpsb1e33066.jpg

IMG_2208_zpsbc24020b.jpg

IMG_2212_zpsa5514a54.jpg

Here's a vid with much, much more info on the fitting of the dust shield. Looks like it will work just fine, but if someone wants to use it on their setup, they'll have to deal with any cutting, drilling, fitting of the shield themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Started working on the brackets by modifying the welding jig just a bit. The cnc'd parts came in. I'll see about getting the brackets welded and machined in the next couple of days so that I can drop them off at the platers next week.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a fairly short vid showing the difference between the 620 spindle and the spindles on the earlier models. When I do a 620 kit, I have to re-machine the base of the inner bearing spacer to compensate for this difference.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.